Do Somalis feel happy when another Somali succeeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asalaamu aleykum/ Peace be unto you for y'all irreligious souls - may Allah guide you back XD,

When I see Somalis in my uni/ place of work I feel happy to see them going places and wanna help them out to do better. I do this because I see their success as my success.

But there are some Somalis who I feel see a fellow Somali as a threat. Like there is only one piece of cheese in a room full of rats and they think they need to claw at you and bring you down to do well for themselves.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour and if you have, where do you think it comes from?

Other ethnicities seem to help their own people out and give them advice if they can.

Thanks.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Asalaamu aleykum/ Peace be unto you for y'all irreligious souls - may Allah guide you back XD,

When I see Somalis in my uni/ place of work I feel happy to see them going places and wanna help them out to do better. I do this because I see their success as my success.

But there are some Somalis who I feel see a fellow Somali as a threat. Like there is only one piece of cheese in a room full of rats and they think they need to claw at you and bring you down to do well for themselves.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour and if you have, where do you think it comes from?

Other ethnicities seem to help their own people out and give them advice if they can.

Thanks.

Some Somalis make it into a competition where its more important to outshine the other person than helping them

Some Somalis make it into a competition where its more important to outshine the other person than helping them

Where do you think that behaviour comes from?

I also find some Somalis that are kinda embarrassed to associate with other Somalis when I'm the opposite and tend to gravitate towards them. As much as I disagree with some of the stuff people say about UK Somalis on this forum, the non-UK Somalis seem to root for each other and look out for one another much more mashaAllah. At least that's the impression I get.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
Type Ahmed Hussen in the search button. 90% of mentioned are from me. You'll see me wishing him a win and you'll find me celebrating his win. You'll find me posting almost daily opinion polls and keeping up with his campaign.

The remaining 10% are from me.:mjpls:

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Where do you think that behaviour comes from?

I also find some Somalis that are kinda embarrassed to associate with other Somalis when I'm the opposite and tend to gravitate towards them. As much as I disagree with some of the stuff people say about UK Somalis on this forum, the non-UK Somalis seem to root for each other and look out for one another much more mashaAllah. At least that's the impression I get.

I dont know But Somalis always have been people full of Pride throw in that same Pride with qabiil :eek:

Pride Will cost you everything and Will leave you with nothing

Theres a quote that goes something like this pride and poverty dont get along But often live together

DiricLover

Qalanjo
Yes, I've noticed this too. I feel like it stems from the parents telling their kids how well xalimo gabadheed is doing and how she wishes u were like that so as a result they've grown up to think no one can do better than you and if you see someone doing better than you then you just stay salty ad. I know it's not intentional from the parents side but it is what it is. Idk maybe I'm wrong :ohno:

Yes, I've noticed this too. I feel like it stems from the parents telling their kids how well xalimo gabadheed is doing and how she wishes u were like that so as a result they've grown up to think no one can do better than you and if you see someone doing better than you then you just stay salty ad. I know it's not intentional from the parents side but it is what it is. Idk maybe I'm wrong :ohno:
I agree and I think you hit the nail on the head, sis. I think Somaali parents think it's healthy tartan - which it would have been if we were in the homeland - but it's different when you're an ethnic minority in a foreign country. If we were in Somalia we could compete with each other and even be salty about losing because we're only competing against one another on an even playing field. In a foreign country, though, it's different - we need to stick together. So the parents - who mean well - saying hablaayo's daughter did this, so they can make you feel bad just sets you up for this mentality that you need to outshine hablaayo rather than be happy for her.

The_Cosmos

Pepe Trump
I'm happy to see Somalis succeed because I then hope that they will inspire other young Somalis to strive for more. Somali youth in the West aren't known for being successful.

Moe Farah is the greatest British Olympic athlete EVER and his SOMALI. If that doesn't inspire you then you'll never strive for anything.

DiricLover

Qalanjo
I agree and I think you hit the nail on the head, sis. I think Somaali parents think it's healthy tartan - which it would have been if we were in the homeland - but it's different when you're an ethnic minority in a foreign country. If we were in Somalia we could compete with each other and even be salty about losing because we're only competing against one another on an even playing field. In a foreign country, though, it's different - we need to stick together. So the parents - who mean well - saying hablaayo's daughter did this, so they can make you feel bad just sets you up for this mentality that you need to outshine hablaayo rather than be happy for her.
Absolutelyyyyyyy! They need a better approach to motivate their kids because that'll just depress them and make 'em feel bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending