Designer Babies

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
Epigentics has a dark history. So let's skip over that and start in present day where we do no wrong and live by a natural code.

At the rate that technology is being innovated on there will be some questionable practices that might make some people balk, inventions such as having the ability to select for genes that give your fat baby an advantage over his or her peers. Not without risk, or deep pockets obviously.

If you even believe in family planning as a thing first off, and had the means to relative wealth, would you consider slicing and dicing your babies genes to give them an edge?

I personally have intelligence in mind when I think of this question.

Apollo

VIP
@Phiirso

I don't think designer babies will be feasible within the next two generations. Possibly only by the end of 21st century.

So it won't really be an issue for this generation.

I think there probably will be international treaties and organizations set up that will heavily regulate it like they do with nuclear weapons or with virology research ( :icon lol: ). Any country that won't abide by it will probably be invaded by the USA or China.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
@Phiirso

I don't think designer babies will be feasible within the next two generations. Possibly only by the end of 21st century.

So it won't really be an issue for this generation.

I think there probably will be international treaties and organizations set up that will heavily regulate it like they do with nuclear weapons or with virology research ( :icon lol: ). Any country that won't abide by it will probably be invaded by the USA or China.

They must regulate it. Those without will become second class citizens if left unchecked. Human's fear of the other really has to be one of the most amusing thing to witness.

Yeah it might not be a thing for us, but how we set up our society in terms of our relationship with technology will definitely be a huge issue. First generation to grow up with technology like its biological limb attached to us.

You really think USA will have power still by then? I can see China dominating but USA needs re-work from the ground up and that's a change I dont see happening anytime soon.

In the current times we live in, you can do screening to check for any birth defects or to see if everything is okay with the mother and baby. I think parents may even decide to abort a baby based on these outcomes. If this is okay to do, I wonder if genetically tweaking an unborn babies genes will have a moral issue. Almost like you're breeding the best of the best.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
In the current times we live in, you can do screening to check for any birth defects or to see if everything is okay with the mother and baby. I think parents may even decide to abort a baby based on these outcomes. If this is okay to do, I wonder if genetically tweaking an unborn babies genes will have a moral issue. Almost like you're breeding the best of the best.

I think the biggest moral issue wouldn't be the slight adjustment we make on our kids, but the changes that bring into question, where exactly human begins and ends.

@sophisticate Weigh in, Miss. Rebel

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
:gaasdrink: It could present a menagerie of possibilities. If one could look through their genetic catalog and select for certain traits they find most advantageous (increased longevity, slowed cellular aging, ideal facial form, height, athletic prowess, intellectual capacity etc). I don't see how that would be a problem. As you know, people sometime already do this manually by marrying individual/procreating with those with idyllic traits. Even the local sperm back screens its candidates so they are ideal. This is just a more sophisticated and what I would assume more precise method. But the moment that one wishes to make alternations by adding in genetic possibilities that were never likely than things get hauntingly Sci-fi. Since you're essentially trying to extend beyond what you could in theory create under the best conditions aka an uebermensch baby.

Last edited:
:gaasdrink: It could present a menagerie of possibilities. If one could look through their genetic catalog and select for certain traits they find most advantageous (increased longevity, slowed cellular aging, ideal facial form, height, athletic prowess, intellectual capacity etc). I don't see how that would be a problem. As you know, people sometime already do this manually by marrying individual/procreating with those with idyllic traits. Even the local sperm back screens its candidates so they are ideal. This is just a more sophisticated and what I would assume more precise method. But the moment that one wishes to make alternations by adding in genetic possibilities that were never likely than things get hauntingly Sci-fi. Since you're essentially trying to extend beyond what you could in theory create under the best conditions aka an uebermensch baby.

I find your perspective interesting because I already think that we've overstepped a line when we genetically modify a baby to give it certain traits. Something about leaving this to other people doesn't sit right with me. Maybe i'm overthinking but it seems like if the wrong hands grab hold of this, it could turn into a biological weapon by creating whole populations of fit, healthy humans, who exceed expectations in all aspects. I guess a lot of guidelines would have to be put in place if this were to go through to avoid crossing boundaries.

I think the biggest moral issue wouldn't be the slight adjustment we make on our kids, but the changes that bring into question, where exactly human begins and ends.

@sophisticate Weigh in, Miss. Rebel

This I agree with. Humans can be very curious and it might end up causing a lot of problems.

psyche

To each their own
Not a fan of it unless it used for the good of humanity.

For example using this technology can help finally eradicate genetic disorders from the gene pool which has become increasingly harder after humanity succeeded in cheating evolution.

Designer babies seem like a slippery slope when it comes to human morality, and personally I would rather like to keep this Pandora box close before unforseen problems start rising in the future because things like this are always unpredictable.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I find your perspective interesting because I already think that we've overstepped a line when we genetically modify a baby to give it certain traits. Something about leaving this to other people doesn't sit right with me. Maybe i'm overthinking but it seems like if the wrong hands grab hold of this, it could turn into a biological weapon by creating whole populations of fit, healthy humans, who exceed expectations in all aspects. I guess a lot of guidelines would have to be put in place if this were to go through to avoid crossing boundaries.

This I agree with. Humans can be very curious and it might end up causing a lot of problems.

It will likely be a highly regulated space that the well-to-do will be the first to access. I understand your concerns about humans perverting this technology and it's potential to create wider achievement and life outcome gaps between the haves and have nots. It's a real-life Brave New World. What I know for sure is no one wants to be an Epsilon that's destined for a life of diminished potential. More than manipulating genes the widened social inequalities are what concerns me as there is no way to compete with genetic manipulation.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah

The wrong hands will be ones that finance this and guidelines will only be enforced on those that have little power in the first place. One look at the American system should be enough evidence to see the stark differences in how justice is given disproportionately to the have and the have nots.

On the contrary, I think there should be no guidelines. Fairest way to even the odds because rules only benieft the elites. But no, we'll spend quite a few decades trying to pretend this isn't the case though. :axvmm9o:

It will likely be a highly regulated space that the well-to-do will be the first to access. I understand your concerns about humans perverting this technology and it's potential to create wider achievement and life outcome gaps between the haves and have nots. It's a real-life Brave New World. What I know for sure is no one wants to be an Epsilon that's destined for a life of diminished potential. More than manipulating genes the widened social inequalities are what concerns me as there is no way to compete with genetic manipulation.

Best fit should win. Law of nature is irrefutable and it's because we've strayed from it that we have so many genetic dead ends making Idiocracy from a satire movie into a Documentary.

What I'm mainly interested in is if we can bioengineer our offsprings to breathe less, eat less, and be adaptable for space travel.

If everyone has their own planet, no one will care what another does on his. /s

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
The wrong hands will be ones that finance this and guidelines will only be enforced on those that have little power in the first place. One look at the American system should be enough evidence to see the stark differences in how justice is given disproportionately to the have and the have nots.

On the contrary, I think there should be no guidelines. Fairest way to even the odds because rules only benieft the elites. But no, we'll spend quite a few decades trying to pretend this isn't the case though. :axvmm9o:

Best fit should win. Law of nature is irrefutable and it's because we've strayed from it that we have so many genetic dead ends making Idiocracy from a satire movie into a Documentary.

What I'm mainly interested in is if we can bioengineer our offsprings to breathe less, eat less, and be adaptable for space travel.

If everyone has their own planet, no one will care what another does on his. /s

We live in societies with various social partitions, where access to resources are not equitable and where a true meritocracy is unachievable. To call some people a genetic dead end merely because of their social location brushes off as classist. There is always the possibility of genetic discrimination between designer babies and non designer babies and the formation of a new class system based on genetic engineering. Altering the mental, physical and emotional make up of a child for life presents ethical issues of choice/consent as they will have no say. Designer babies might have better health and traits but they could also expose humans to new diseases that are passed for which humanity is ill-prepared.

No. I'm completely against it. In an ideal world sure, but as things stand, absolutely not.

All you gotta do is look into the history of the Americas and see what I'm talking about. The whole concept of "mejorar la Raza" (bettering the race)in South America is all I gotta say about this.

I'll get more in depth later, but it's absolutely demonic imo

Last edited:

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
We live in societies with various social partitions, where access to resources are not equitable and where a true meritocracy is unachievable. To call some people a genetic dead end merely because of their social location brushes off as classist. There is always the possibility of genetic discrimination between designer babies and non designer babies and the formation of a new class system based on genetic engineering. Altering the mental, physical and emotional make up of a child for life presents ethical issues of choice/consent as they will have no say. Designer babies might have better health and traits but they could also expose humans to new diseases that are passed for which humanity is ill-prepared.

Why you so smarter then me :kendrickcry:

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
The societal implications would be different to anything we've faced before.

It's most likely going to happen overnight since I think the technology is already out there (CRISPR) and some rich or states will just need to carry out some testing to remove the side effects.

They'll definitely do that in secret through either animal experiments or some clandestine human experiments.

These new variants of humans will help governments outcompete other nations in research and development.

Imagine what you could build with an army of Einstein's?

However it's highly likely that they outsmart overpower their original creators/masters somehow and attempt to take over or gain their freedom.

This is how WW3 will start ...not because of some AI but something akin to the Eugenics wars in Star Trek.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Why you so smarter then me :kendrickcry:

:farmajoyaab: I'm not.

She is so mashallah.
:lawd:

But so are you, it's not measured solely on how you articulate yourself, it's the content of your message. You guys excel in both.

You're spoiling me sis. *Acts bashful.* You're also Mash'Allah in that area.

People can enhance their vocabulary with the right tools. If one's mind is receptive than they can learn just about anything. A bit of tenacity and extending one degree at a time outside of your comfort zone is all that's required. :it0tdo8: