Dervish Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a thread where Ferrari talk about some of the accomplishment of the Dervish, and one of the things he mentioned was the dervish fighting in the sea
So, does anybody have any information about the Dervish Navy, or was Ferrari talking BS to support Ogaden supremacists
If you could, can you talk about
  1. what kind of ship
  2. The battels
  3. how it started and where they got their resources

World

VIP
They didn’t have a navy. Not sure where @Ferrari got that from. They only had a land based army. 12,000 soldiers. 2000 riflemen and 10,000 cavalry.

They did have a sea presence around ayl. I will look into it.

I know they used it to import arms and ammunition and I am sure they engaged in one fight at least.

I read one of the sayid's gabay talking about it. I forgot which one it was.

I will look it up tho.

They did have a sea presence around ayl. I will look into it.

I know they used it to import arms and ammunition and I am sure they engaged in one fight at least.

I read one of the sayid's gabay talking about it. I forgot which one it was.

I will look it up tho.
@Ferrari what happend man

Saw a thread where Ferrari talk about some of the accomplishment of the Dervish, and one of the things he mentioned was the dervish fighting in the sea
So, does anybody have any information about the Dervish Navy, or was Ferrari talking BS to support Ogaden supremacists
If you could, can you talk about
  1. what kind of ship
  2. The battels
  3. how it started and where they got their resources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dervish_movement_(Somali)

" The movement obtained firearms from Sultan Boqor Osman Mahmud of Majerteen Sultanate, as well as the Ottoman Empire and Sudan.[14] The Dervish fought many battles starting in 1899 against the Ethiopian troops.[7] In 1904, the Dervishes were almost annihilated in Jidbaley. Hasan retreated into the Italian Somaliland and entered into a treaty with them, who accepted the control of Eyl port by the Dervishes. This port served as the Dervish headquarters between 1905 and 1909.[8] During this period, Hasan rebuilt the Dervish movement army, the Dervishes raided and plundered their neighboring clans, and in 1909 assassinated their archrival Sufi leader Uways al-Barawi and burnt his settlement, according to Mohamed Mukhtar.[20]

In 1913, after the British withdrawal to the coast, the Dervishes created a walled town with fourteen fortresses in Taleh by importing masons from Yemen. This served as their headquarters.[21][22] The main fortress, Silsilat, included conical tower granaries that opened only at the top, wells with sulfurous water, cattle watering stations, a guard tower, walled garden, and tombs. It became the residence of Mohammed Abdullah Hassan, his wives and family.[21]The Taleh tower is believed to have had the quarters of a Turk and a German. The Taleh structures also included the Hed Kaldig (literally, "place of blood"), where those whom Hasan disliked were executed with or without torture and their bodies left to the hyenas.[21] According to Muktar, Hasan's execution orders also targeted dozens of his former friends and allies.[20] The town of Taleh was mostly destroyed after a British aerial bombardment in early February 1920, though Hasan had already left his compound by then.[21][23]

The historic Daarta Sayyidka Dervish fort in Eyl, Puntland."

Eyl_Castle.jpg

The Dervishes had control of the port, which was a simple entrepot. There is no mention of ships and the two extant buildings, compared to Taleex, are small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending