Could haplogroup T suggest a different autosomal ancestry for some somalis

Som

VIP
As we know most somalis are E1b1b but a substantial minority of us is has haplogroup T which comes from Arabia. Most somali samples on autosomal DNA studies are diaspora somalis, I'm not sure which clans they test or how diverse these samples are.
Could it be that T haplogroup folks are slightly more eurasian than reer E1b1b?

Som

VIP
It would be also interesting to test different ethnic somali clans to see if there are even some minor differences in autosomal results

As we know most somalis are E1b1b but a substantial minority of us is has haplogroup T which comes from Arabia. Most somali samples on autosomal DNA studies are diaspora somalis, I'm not sure which clans they test or how diverse these samples are.
It's just a paternal marker.

If your great great grandfather was Arab/Persian, and he married a black woman, your great grandfather would still have the T gene. If he then also married a black woman, your grandfather would still have the T gene. If he married a black woman, at that point, you're pretty much completely black. Your dad still has that gene. Then has you. Haplogroups are cool to look up to study migration, but looking at it for racial classification is pretty much a meme.

I got T-L208 paternal haplogroup and R0a21 for my maternal

Zero. We already have enough T Somalis tested on 23andme, it would have shown already.
AutoSomal is only 7-10 generations.

For Example the Libyan E-Y8081 and Saudis E-Y8100. those guys have lost Somali Autosomal
and only Have Arabian. Although 7-12 generations a go, they had 100% Somali Autosomal.

Som

VIP
Zero. We already have enough T Somalis tested on 23andme, it would have shown already.
AutoSomal is only 7-10 generations.

For Example the Libyan E-Y8081 and Saudis E-Y8100. those guys have lost Somali Autosomal
and only Have Arabian. Although 7-12 generations a go, they had 100% Somali Autosomal.
23 and me is a different issue though. I'm talking about actual testing that detects ancient admixture

Som

VIP

If your great great grandfather was Arab/Persian, and he married a black woman, your great grandfather would still have the T gene. If he then also married a black woman, your grandfather would still have the T gene. If he married a black woman, at that point, you're pretty much completely black. Your dad still has that gene. Then has you. Haplogroups are cool to look up to study migration, but looking at it for racial classification is pretty much a meme.
Yes but sometimes they can tell us a guess about some populations ancestry.
For example Amharas and habeshas in general have high levels of haplogroup J and research shows that their autosomal DNA generally has more arabian than Somalis who have low percentages of haplogroup J.

Yes but sometimes they can tell us a guess about some populations ancestry.
For example Amharas and habeshas in general have high levels of haplogroup J and research shows that their autosomal DNA generally has more arabian than Somalis who have low percentages of haplogroup J.
Actually only 17% of Eritrean has haplogroup J. So I geus most Habesha are Haplogroup E1b1b1 or T.

Last edited:
Actually only 17% of Eritrean has haplogroup J. So I geus most Habesha are Haplogroup E1b1b1 or T.
“Major Y-chromosome haplogroups A (24.73%), B (7.52%), E (46.24%) and J (21.51%) were detected in all Eritrean samples.”

Eritrea barely has any T, only Ethiopia got a tiny percentage of T, for ethiopia it is the following:
1631882891253.png

“Reveals that, out of a total of 459 males sampled from Ethiopia, approximately 58% of Y-chromosome haplotypes were found to belong to Haplogroup E, of which 71% (41% of total) were characterized by one of its further downstream sub lineage known as E1b1b, while the remainder were mostly characterized by Haplogroup E1b1(x E1b1b,E1b1a), and to a lesser extent Haplogroup E2.”

Haplogroup J has been found at a frequency of approximately 18% in Ethiopians”

”Another fairly prevalent lineage in Ethiopia belongs to Haplogroup A, occurring at a frequency of about 17% within Ethiopia”

“Finally, Haplogroup T at approximately 4% and Haplogroup B at approximately 3%, make up the remainder of the Y-DNA Haplogroups found within Ethiopia.”

As for somalis it’s kinda like this:

The E-V32 would be up to 70-85% but they included plenty of minority haplogroups that doesn’t entirely reach 1% but is still interesting info. Other sources might say

“In Somalis, 14 Y chromosome haplogroups were identified including E3b1 (77.6%) and K2 (10.4%).” (k2 is T and E3b1 is E1b1b)

So E-V32 are between 65-80% while the rest of E1b1b in somalis are different versions that’s not E-V32 like E-L29.

1631883926431.png

1631884005976.png

Apollo

VIP
@Griezmann7711

Ethiopia and Eritrea have more of a normal distribution of lineage T with various different T sub-versions. In most of the MENA world and NE Africa, T tends to be a minor lineage. Somehow only in Somalis it became successful, but that's not indicative of Somalis being closer to the original T people.

Somalis just have one tiny new version that is 2,000 years old (young in anthropological terms). The frequency of T in Somalis is not suggestive of having closer ties to the original T population than Habeshas. Look up what founder effects are.

It’s not as simple as that. 40% of Somalis have maternal haplogroups of Eurasian origin.

@Griezmann7711

Ethiopia and Eritrea have more of a normal distribution of lineage T with various different T sub-versions. In most of the MENA world and NE Africa, T tends to be a minor lineage. Somehow only in Somalis it became successful, but that's not indicative of Somalis being closer to the original T people.

Somalis just have one tiny new version that is 2,000 years old (young in anthropological terms). The frequency of T in Somalis is not suggestive of having closer ties to the original T population than Habeshas. Look up what founder effects are.
We Isaaqs already have a Isaaq sub clade that is around 600-750 ybp which corresponds with the lifetime of Sheikh Isaaq which is around the 14th century. I know T didn’t originate in Africa let alone East Africa.

“The higher frequency of T in East Africa would be due to a founder effect among Neolithic farmers or pastoralists from the Middle East. One theory is that haplogroup T spread alongside J1as herder-hunters in the Pre-Pottery Neolithic period.”

”Although haplogroup T is more common today in East Africa than anywhere else, it almost certainly spread from the Fertile Crescent with the rise of agriculture. Indeed, the oldest subclades and the greatest diversity of T is found in the Middle East, especially around the Fertile Crescent.”

“The Fertile Crescent is the boomerang-shaped region of the Middle East that was home to some of the earliest human civilizations. Also known as the “Cradle of Civilization,” this area was the birthplace of a number of technological innovations, including writing, the wheel, agriculture, and the use of irrigation.”

The Fertile Crescent covers a wide area around Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Palestine, Israel, Egypt, and parts of Turkey and Iran.

So basically the levant and mesopotamia, that’s where J is also said to be from but I read that J1 is from the caucasus area which is even more north (Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia.)

Some are very specific and say T is from Iraq/Saudi Arabia 🇮🇶🇸🇦
Sheikh Isaaq is said to be from Iraq, coincidence?

I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Dirs also having T was confusing but even they used to claim and probably some minority still do that dir and other dir sub clans can trace their lineage to Arab Sheikhs and Banu hashim clans.

We Isaaq got an explanation as our traditions confirms it
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

Told You So Hair Flip GIF by Amanda Cee Media

Trending

Latest posts