Could Ethiopia defeat Somalia without Soviet Union aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many Ethiopians still believe, they could defeat Barre without Soviet Union and allies support. I dont agree with this opinion, because SNA controlled 90 % of Ogaden in 1977. Ethiopia was in chaos and Mengistu was surrounded of many enemies like: Oromo, Tigray and Eritrea.

I hope we can about this topic, but without insults.

I hope each post will be an important source of information.

Of course we would’ve defeated them without saviet Union and it’s allies intervention Not just defeated them but we could’ve captured all of Ethiopia in less than a month.

Even historically we almost captured all of Ethiopia if the Portuguese didn’t intervene. We captured 3/5 of Ethiopia and killed their emperor till the Portuguese intervened with modern equipment we didn’t have at the moment.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
Its wasnt even Somalia vs Ethiopia
Its Somali freedom fighters Vs Ethiopia, ( controlling 60- 70 of the region) and Somali National Army Vs the Soviet World (after SNA pushed well past the Somali regions)

Barre was an Idiot, calling a ceasefire at Jigjiga and supporting Harari/Somalis and other factions better we could have had Ethiopia on its knees without Slavs and Mexicans getting involved but it wasn't meant to be:mjcry:

Its wasnt even Somalia vs Ethiopia
Its Somali freedom fighters Vs Ethiopia, ( controlling 60- 70 of the region) and Somali National Army Vs the Soviet World (after SNA pushed well past the Somali regions)

Barre was an Idiot, calling a ceasefire at Jigjiga and supporting Harari/Somalis and other factions better we could have had Ethiopia on its knees without Slavs and Mexicans getting involved but it wasn't meant to be:mjcry:

Couldn't agree more, country invasions are old school we live in a world of proxy wars.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
Couldn't agree more, country invasions are old school we live in a world of proxy wars.
Worse part was that everyone that the time was engaging in proxy wars, i guess Barre didn't get the memo:mjcry:
but then again proxy warfare is too advance for the feeble African mind as per example of the Ethiopian invasion and Kenyan troops maybe getting involved in Somali affairs will lead to an unavoidable collapse on their part :kanyeshrug:

A lot of what ifs in this thread. What if Somalia didn't receive billions in aid from the soviets for about a decade. The Somalian army was built and trained by the soviets. Somalia invaded with its entire army during political turmoil and still lost, this truly shows that you will never get ogaden. Ethiopia would have taken maybe 1 year longer to recapture the parts of ogaden not in its possession. Ethiopia went on to have the largest army in Africa in the 80s so I'm 100% sure ogaden would have been recaptured.

You should also thank the soviets for stopping the invasion of Somalia, well at least the prolonging of it. Now Somalia is a place to train troops and get kick backs from the west.

I will also be making a thread on the completion of the mega dam on the shabelle later.

A lot of what ifs in this thread. What if Somalia didn't receive billions in aid from the soviets for about a decade. The Somalian army was built and trained by the soviets. Somalia invaded with its entire army during political turmoil and still lost, this truly shows that you will never get ogaden. Ethiopia would have taken maybe 1 year longer to recapture the parts of ogaden not in its possession. Ethiopia went on to have the largest army in Africa in the 80s so I'm 100% sure ogaden would have been recaptured.

You should also thank the soviets for stopping the invasion of Somalia, well at least the prolonging of it. Now Somalia is a place to train troops and get kick backs from the west.

I will also be making a thread on the completion of the mega dam on the shabelle later.
You also had a massive famine in exchange for that massive army of yours in the 80s, so maybe you shouldn't boost to much sxb

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
Ethiopia actually could've won but at a price that they couldn't afford.

The regime would've collapsed soon after and there was the risk of Soviet losing its influence in the region.

It would also allow for a comeback of the Somali army to reenter Ethiopia while Addis is crumbling not long after.

They'll be too busy either fighting off a coup or consolidating power to fight over the Somali region again.

Unlike Somalis and the Xabashi.... Soviets actually though ahead and realised a quick intervention would be in their interest.

We shouldn't have fought that war at all.

Some people think Barre never expected Soviet Union betrayal. I think Somali army was ready for a short war not a long one.

We should not forget that Somali army and WSLF were active in Ogaden until 1984.

Without the backing of the soviet and it' satellites states , Somalia would have easily captured Addis Ababa.

The reason for Somalias invasion was that the soviet told them to invade and capture it's lost region.

Soviet was along with it and had a plan to kick out American influence from East Africa and the middle east.
This was before mengistu was the actual president, there were few other ethiopian generals that was on top of him who had the power, these Ethiopian generals were looking for Chinese influence but they were later assassnated by mengistu, and mengistu made himself the president of communist Ethiopia.

It was like game of thrones.

Soviet was going to invade few countries such as Iran, Afghanistan Iraq and uae.
Soviet told this plan to Somali generals in 1974, check out the interview of general galaal in youtube.

Last edited:

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
I doubt Ethiopia could have defeated Somalia/WSLF forces without U.S.S.R aid. They were knocking at the gates of Addis if I am not mistaken and would have captured the city easily.

upload_2018-1-10_18-9-46.png

Yeah lets all believe the ethiopian

Actually no because unlike today in those days ethiopia didn't have somali attack dogs such as liyuu police who could capture and hold territory whilst ethiopian army imprison villagers, rape their women to death, bury wells and kill livestock forcing a famine whilst the whole world turns a blind eye and human rights council writes a report stating such transgression against somali people once every 5 years or so.

Somalis in those believed they had a brotherly nation armed to the teeth nearby that simply would not tolerate such a transgressons. When you have somalis believing that, its easier to fight and they would put a crazy resistance which ethiopia would never be able to stamp out.

Futhermore even if Ethiopia managed to regain its stability and stop political turmoil at best the most they could force from the somali army would have been to withdraw from "ethiopian" ethiopia because we was only 40miles away from your capital addis. Look if you cant take over eritrea what makes you think you can take on the somali army plus hundreds of thousands of volunteers from somali galbeed?

Look my raw meat eating friend that dam your threatening us with can be is nothing, we are not egyptian who are 1000's miles away. We can walk on foot to that damn and destroy it lool

Last edited:
Yeah lets all believe the ethiopian

Actually no because unlike today in those days ethiopia didn't have somali attack dogs such as liyuu police who could capture and hold territory whilst they imprison villagers, rape their women to death, bury wells and kill livestock forcing a famine whilst the whole world turns a blind eye and human rights council writes a report stating such transgression against somali people once every 5 years or so.

Somalis in those believed they had a brotherly nation armed to the teeth nearby that simply would not tolerate such a transgressons. When you have the whole of somalis believing that, its easier to fight and they would put a crazy resistance which ethiopia would never be able to stamp out.

Futhermore even if Ethiopia managed to regain its stability and stop political turmoil at best the most they could force would be able to force from the somali army would have been to withdraw from ethiopian ethiopia because we was only 40miles away from your capital addis. Look if you cant take over eritrea what makes you think you can take on the somali army plus hundreds of thousands of volunteers from somali galbeed?

Look my raw meat eating friend that dam your threatening us with can be is nothing, we are not egyptian who are 1000's miles away. We can walk on foot to that damn and destroy lool

To their own people? What a bunch of murtadeen

To their own people? What a bunch of murtadeen

Basically liyu police held the territory whilst ethiopian army gained more territory by way of killing indiscriminately, rape as a form of punishment, interrogation and humiliation of onlf fighters for abandoning their areas, burying wells and killing livestock. Faced with such a catastrophe the somali people of somali galbeed decided to work with ethiopia since they cant defeat them for now. This is why you have dogs like abdi iley and his kind.
Have you not seen the women who escape the ethiopian prisons talking about their ordeal.

Point is bro without unity this is what happens.

Basically liyu police held the territory whilst ethiopian army gained more territory by way of killing indiscriminately, rape as a form of punishment, interrogation and humiliation of onlf fighters for abandoning their areas, burying wells and killing livestock. Faced with such a catastrophe the somali people of somali galbeed decided to work with ethiopia since they cant defeat them for now. This is why you have dogs like abdi iley and his kind.
Have you not seen the women who escape the ethiopian prisons talking about their ordeal.

Point is bro without unity this is what happens.

I've heard that a lot of the hawiye/isaaq minorities join liyuu boolis and Ethiopian army because they prefer a K5 state to a Ogaden controlled somali region, if that's true then Somalis are really in a big mess, imagine preferring occupation just to spite an opposition qabil.

Yeah I've heard about the fuckery that's happening in Ethiopians jails, I think this is very overlooked wallahi, this is a proper occupation on the same level as Kashmir and Palestine if not bigger, it makes me sick that Somalis booty clap for things like BLM instead of this, this needs maximum exposure and then maybe we can get some lunatics to set up truck bombs in addis ababa:mybusiness:

@gurey how religious are ONLF I've heard that WSLF were hardcore salafis, I think if ONLF start fighting for the sake of Allah and not land this will empower them and give them much more victory, but they are scared of being painted as a terror group.

Status
Not open for further replies.