Connect human brains to computers.

"A team of scientists have managed to connect a human brain to a Windows 10 computer by threading a wire through a blood vessel.

Researchers from the University of Melbourne achieved the feat by inserting electrodes through the jugular vein in the neck and pushing them up to the brain’s primary motor cortex.

Once there, the electrodes were nestled into the wall of the blood vessel where they could detect brain signals and feed them back to a computer."

Read the article here.

neurintsurg-2020-016862-F1.large.jpg

Also read this article. Super interesting.

Background Implantable brain–computer interfaces (BCIs), functioning as motor neuroprostheses, have the potential to restore voluntary motor impulses to control digital devices and improve functional independence in patients with severe paralysis due to brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerve or muscle dysfunction. However, reports to date have had limited clinical translation.

Methods Two participants with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) underwent implant in a single-arm, open-label, prospective, early feasibility study. Using a minimally invasive neurointervention procedure, a novel endovascular Stentrode BCI was implanted in the superior sagittal sinus adjacent to primary motor cortex. The participants undertook machine-learning-assisted training to use wirelessly transmitted electrocorticography signal associated with attempted movements to control multiple mouse-click actions, including zoom and left-click. Used in combination with an eye-tracker for cursor navigation, participants achieved Windows 10 operating system control to conduct instrumental activities of daily living (IADL) tasks.

Results Unsupervised home use commenced from day 86 onwards for participant 1, and day 71 for participant 2. Participant 1 achieved a typing task average click selection accuracy of 92.63% (100.00%, 87.50%–100.00%) (trial mean (median, Q1–Q3)) at a rate of 13.81 (13.44, 10.96–16.09) correct characters per minute (CCPM) with predictive text disabled. Participant 2 achieved an average click selection accuracy of 93.18% (100.00%, 88.19%–100.00%) at 20.10 (17.73, 12.27–26.50) CCPM. Completion of IADL tasks including text messaging, online shopping and managing finances independently was demonstrated in both participants.

Conclusion We describe the first-in-human experience of a minimally invasive, fully implanted, wireless, ambulatory motor neuroprosthesis using an endovascular stent-electrode array to transmit electrocorticography signals from the motor cortex for multiple command control of digital devices in two participants with flaccid upper limb paralysis.

Can you imagine, you upload an entire language into your brain and then BAM you're fluent in some obscure indigenous South American tongue or one of Nigeria's 38143891498 languages. :banderas:

I agree we need regulations. In a few decades, putting a chip in your brain will be as normal as getting a haircut Lool.
I wonder what effect it will have on our autonomy and agency; like what's to stop a corporation from using the information for commercial gains and sell it to third-party data firms. Eventually, other agencies, government or private, will get hold of it and exploit human behavior for profit or control.

Just think of the societal problems that could arise from chipped people. The enhanced individuals would rule everything, while the unenhanced who refuse to be chipped would be unable to keep up or compete in the increasingly complex society.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Would be godsent for paraplegic and disabled people. We already have our phones glued to our hands so what difference does an extra couple wires do :manny:

Would be godsent for paraplegic and disabled people. We already have our phones glued to our hands so what difference does an extra couple wires do :manny:

@The alchemist explained perfectly all the problems we could have. I would only let the paraplegic and disabled people have it since it can improve their lives. But we still need regulations.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
@The alchemist explained perfectly all the problems we could have. I would only let the paraplegic and disabled people have it since it can improve their lives. But we still need regulations.

You like living in a nanny state huh? I personally wouldn't be the first to try it but after millions tried it I wouldn't mind using it if it increased my productivity.

If you ban it in your country; other countries would just outcompete you economically.

Same with AI and genetic engineering. US can ban it but China won't.

You like living in a nanny state huh? I personally wouldn't be the first to try it but after millions tried it I wouldn't mind using it if it increased my productivity.

If you ban it in your country; other countries would just outcompete you economically.

Yeah I know. I think Elon musk said something about first producing medical devices and then devices for healthy people (Neuralink). Even though I’m curious I will still not put a chip in my brain:icon lol:

We're embarking upon something never before experienced—a serious alteration. A simple libertarian pejoratively like 'nanny state' is way to reductive and frankly just an unwise way of framing the problem, as the problem is less about what individual choices people have, but how companies or other organizational entities exploit the discrepancy between the perception of people's views of reality, and reality itself, and how companies take advantage of the privacy paradox as well.

Sure, things will move forward, since other less morally inclined countries will use tech in a less constrained manner, but the acceptable confines and directions is something we have more control over now and should be strictly defined, instead of just having this all-track capitalist free-for-all where all serious consequential detrimental considerations are not in the equation. The trade-off is our humanity, remember, and we'll be dealing with things that know more about us than we know about ourselves.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Why do we need biomechatronic devices to help disabled people? This brain chip won't really help people who have disabilities because the whole concept of brain chips is to connect with people around the world through the use of internet. They're really not interested in helping people move again.

However, stem cell researchers have made way more progress in this field. In the future stem cells could cure people who are paraplegic and disabled. Experts believe that stem cells have the best chance of repairing damaged nerves once the damaged cells are injected thus curing people who suffer from paralysis.

Not to mention brain implants could have serious consequences on the body. Evil corporations could develop new viruses that could lead users to act immoral and damage their mental and physical health. If a computer virus was to enter a chip, it could potentially damage not only a user’s brain but other parts or functions. They could also steal private information hidden in your memory, use it against you, blackmail you, and the possibility is endless.

I'm a fan of Elon musk but I'm completely against brain chips and helping disabled people was a terrible excuse to undermine his main goal. If you follow SpaceX, he did admit he wanted humans to communicate with each other using their minds and also to create a symbiosis with artificial intelligence.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
We're embarking upon something never before experienced—a serious alteration. A simple libertarian pejoratively like 'nanny state' is way to reductive and frankly just an unwise way of framing the problem, as the problem is less about what individual choices people have, but how companies or other organizational entities exploit the discrepancy between the perception of people's views of reality, and reality itself, and how companies take advantage of the privacy paradox as well.

Sure, things will move forward, since other less morally inclined countries will use tech in a less constrained manner, but the acceptable confines and directions is something we have more control over now and should be strictly defined, instead of just having this all-track capitalist free-for-all where all serious consequential detrimental considerations are not in the equation. The trade-off is our humanity, remember, and we'll be dealing with things that know more about us than we know about ourselves.

Your concept of humanity shouldn't be limited to our situation today. What sets us apart from the animal kingdom is our use of technology. Us combining more with tech imo just means we're following the same path we've been on for aeons.

Sure they'll be dangers just like how our ancestors burned themselves accidentally on the first man-made fires but in the end we quickly adapted and built a better brave new world...:fittytousand:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
I agree we need regulations. In a few decades, putting a chip in your brain will be as normal as getting a haircut Lool.
:icon lol::icon lol:

Coincidentally, I was just listening to this. I'm 15 mins in, and they are talking about how genetic modifications will seem shocking at first, but then we'll get used to it and it'll just be the normal.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
Chips, designer babies, cryosleep, sentient A.I, quantum mechanics, the race for space development and exploration and a plethora of new areas of research. The possibilities of what we could find or create are literally endless.

We need to be building our own labs and mission controls asap. Our minds and space are the two biggest frontiers in the coming decades because we know so very little of either.

The Somali flag waving in Mars :banderas: