Comprehension of Quran

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
I've read more of the Quran in the past couple of months than I ever have being force-feed it for years as a child.

We learned this in English class in grade school. What's the theme? What's the main message? What are the symbols? Why did the author write this?

Character, character, character, character, and character.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The Quran builds one's character both in this world and in the next. I used to wonder what it was that I was missing all my life. I have everything. ?

-Character.

Integrity, decency, honesty, virtuousness. Character is what qualifies someone to become a prophet, far greater character than any one of us can achieve. And when you look all around in this world, the only thing that can save you is building your character up, like a videogame. Do good in a job, excellent, you've leveled up your obedience trait. Greet enough people courteously, mashallah, you've leveled up your gregariousness. Keep a healthy network around you, good job, you've leveled up your social skills. Robber? -How many banks can you rob?

To be a good muslim however, the only traits you need are patience, honesty, integrity, and faith.

Patience, because life is long and you will face many trials and tests. Your car breaks down, your mother dies, you lose your job, etc. It is life, can you handle the pain and be patient?

Integrity, because you will have many opportunities to cheat, take a shortcut, and circumvent a test, life is a test.

Honesty, cheat yourself, cheat everyone, but there's one you can never cheat and if you have Imaan, a guilt you can never overcome.

And lastly, faith,

When you have nothing, are nothing, completely alone, who is there to guide you back into the light? The only way you face this is when you really are at your bottom, and that takes courage.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Maa shaa Allah may Allah increase you in beneficial knowledge. Have you thought about taking classes at your local masjid in tafseer or aqeedah?

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
Adaa mudan.

What if you miss something really important in your self-study though?

Then may Allah forgive me for what I know not. To add on however, I think the biggest tragedy embedded in all institutions of learning today be it deen or academic, even our very lives is the need to be "correct" than to truly understand what "correct" even means.

What if I do miss something really important? How is that not the greatest thing ever? The more I miss, the more I mess up, misunderstand, etc, ... are they not all golden opportunities to self-reflect and ponder deeply on those mistakes? But then the question is, how would one know if they've misunderstood something?

I've always found there is a simple goal to pretty much everything we do in this world. Soccer, for example, the goal is simple, win the game. Well, how? Score more points than the other team. If you play five games, win two, and lose three, simply sitting down and reflecting on what the team did to win those two games is an excellent starting point, but figuring out why the team lost those three games is far more valuable data because this highlights the mistakes, ie the "problems" the team made to get a loss. Once you've identified a problem, now you can work on it.

I use the same formula when I study/practice the Deen. What's the goal of Islam? Live a life of complete submission to Allah swt. Why? He created the earth we walk upon, the sky we look up to, the eyes we see with, etc. Nothing exists without his will. How to win? Never forget the air we all breathe and take for granted can be taken away in an instant. How to never forget this simple fact? Be eternally grateful to the One who grants all of us this right. Can you imagine if oxygen wasn't a thing anymore? Just poof, gone, and a lifeless planet soon after.

Life is simple. I've never understood why people overcomplicate things so much. Every single time you take a breath from now on, let gratitude warm your heart and be thankful to the One who provides it for all of us, free of charge. Sincere gratitude in everything one has and experiences coupled with dutiful attentive action with the basics we all learn as children, what more is there to miss? If we miss anything, it's actually the concept of gratitude. Be grateful to Allah(swt) by worshipping Him and Him alone. Follow the Sunnah of our Prophet(SAW) as his way is the best example.

So to finally answer your question, the more grateful I become in life amidst life's endless trials and tribulations, the lighter I feel in my heart, the more I let go of the need to acquire worldly desires, then I will know I'm at least headed in the right direction. The darker my world gets, the heavier the heart, the more cynical, gloomier, the more I desire worldly things, then I know I'm headed in the wrong direction. It's quite simple really, as are a lot of things in life.

Simple ≠ easy though. Sleeping in is far more enjoyable than waking up for fajr, cheeseburgers beat dumbells, and me typing all this is easier than focusing on the work I'm supposed to be doing.

I'm the same as you, I like learning on my own too laakin when it comes to diin we should always learn from trustworthy people of knowledge who can explain things to us so we don't get the wrong understanding or get confused.

I agree with you bro, but after a lifetime of being forced to just swallow information with no room to ask questions for an in-depth understanding, I'm good with watching a Youtube Lecture or two coupled with my own study.

If you have any great teachers though, link them here.

Then may Allah forgive me for what I know not. To add on however, I think the biggest tragedy embedded in all institutions of learning today be it deen or academic, even our very lives is the need to be "correct" than to truly understand what "correct" even means.

What if I do miss something really important? How is that not the greatest thing ever? The more I miss, the more I mess up, misunderstand, etc, ... are they not all golden opportunities to self-reflect and ponder deeply on those mistakes? But then the question is, how would one know if they've misunderstood something?

I've always found there is a simple goal to pretty much everything we do in this world. Soccer, for example, the goal is simple, win the game. Well, how? Score more points than the other team. If you play five games, win two, and lose three, simply sitting down and reflecting on what the team did to win those two games is an excellent starting point, but figuring out why the team lost those three games is far more valuable data because this highlights the mistakes, ie the "problems" the team made to get a loss. Once you've identified a problem, now you can work on it.

I use the same formula when I study/practice the Deen. What's the goal of Islam? Live a life of complete submission to Allah swt. Why? He created the earth we walk upon, the sky we look up to, the eyes we see with, etc. Nothing exists without his will. How to win? Never forget the air we all breathe and take for granted can be taken away in an instant. How to never forget this simple fact? Be eternally grateful to the One who grants all of us this right. Can you imagine if oxygen wasn't a thing anymore? Just poof, gone, and a lifeless planet soon after.

Life is simple. I've never understood why people overcomplicate things so much. Every single time you take a breath from now on, let gratitude warm your heart and be thankful to the One who provides it for all of us, free of charge. Sincere gratitude in everything one has and experiences coupled with dutiful attentive action with the basics we all learn as children, what more is there to miss? If we miss anything, it's actually the concept of gratitude. Be grateful to Allah(swt) by worshipping Him and Him alone. Follow the Sunnah of our Prophet(SAW) as his way is the best example.

So to finally answer your question, the more grateful I become in life amidst life's endless trials and tribulations, the lighter I feel in my heart, the more I let go of the need to acquire worldly desires, then I will know I'm at least headed in the right direction. The darker my world gets, the heavier the heart, the more cynical, gloomier, the more I desire worldly things, then I know I'm headed in the wrong direction. It's quite simple really, as are a lot of things in life.

Simple ≠ easy though. Sleeping in is far more enjoyable than waking up for fajr, cheeseburgers beat dumbells, and me typing all this is easier than focusing on the work I'm supposed to be doing.

I agree with you bro, but after a lifetime of being forced to just swallow information with no room to ask questions for an in-depth understanding, I'm good with watching a Youtube Lecture or two coupled with my own study.

Thats nice but in actuality it means nothing
U cant learn physics by yourself
you dont become a doctor by yourself
you dont learn maths by yourself
you dont become an engineer by yourself
you wont become knowledgable in the deen by yourself, everyone needs a teacher
every prophet had a teacher, and every sahaba had a teacher, and every salaf had a teacher
in fact you wouldnt be reading the Quran or hadith right now if the scholars didnt have other scholars they learned from forming a trustworthy chain so that you can learn from it
otherwise anyone can make up their own inteprreatation of the text

That’s sad if that is what you experienced in an Islamic setting. That is actually unique. It’s mainly Christians who do that. Islam encourages the Muslim to seek knowledge and learn.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
Thats nice but in actuality it means nothing
U cant learn physics by yourself
you dont become a doctor by yourself
you dont learn maths by yourself
you dont become an engineer by yourself
you wont become knowledgable in the deen by yourself, everyone needs a teacher
every prophet had a teacher, and every sahaba had a teacher, and every salaf had a teacher
in fact you wouldnt be reading the Quran or hadith right now if the scholars didnt have other scholars they learned from forming a trustworthy chain so that you can learn from it
otherwise anyone can make up their own inteprreatation of the text
You're right. 100% right.

But if I write something wrong, please tell me what's wrong about it. If I write something and I misquote, please tell me what I misquoted, or miswrote.

Find the mistake, and let me know and I will gladly reflect, and reform my mistake.

That’s sad if that is what you experienced in an Islamic setting. That is actually unique. It’s mainly Christians who do that. Islam encourages the Muslim to seek knowledge and learn.

Sxb, isdaaji. It's ok fam. Different things happen to different people.

What have you learned about the deen recently that made you a better human being?

Sxb, isdaaji. It's ok fam. Different things happen to different people.

What have you learned about the deen recently that made you a better human being?
Isdaji, me? :chrisfreshhah:
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Trending