China poised to take Kenya's Mombasa port

Samira

Illuminated Xalimo
https://www.africanstand.com/busine...nyas-main-port-over-unpaid-huge-chinese-loan/

Kenyan government risks losing the lucrative Mombasa port to China should the country fail to repay huge loans advanced by Chinese lenders.

In November, African Stand reported on how Kenya is at high risk of Losing strategic assets over huge Chinese debt and just after a few month the Chinese are about to take action.

The loans have been granted for the development of the Standard Gauge Railway (SGR).

Also at stake is the Inland Container Depot in Nairobi, which receives and dispatches freight hauled on the new cargo trains from the seaport.

Implications of a takeover would be grave, including the thousands of port workers who would be forced to work under the Chinese lenders.

Management changes would immediately follow the port seizure since the Chinese would naturally want to secure their interests.

Further, revenues from the port would be directly sent to China for the servicing of an estimated Sh500 billion lent for the construction of the two sections of the SGR.

Samira

Illuminated Xalimo
Look this horumar. While our ports are taken by second rate regional powers like Saudi and the Emirates, Kenya is (going to) get their shit took by a global power!

I make dua every day that Allah raises our status and lets us be taken advantage of by powerful men, and let them yank my hijab as they do so. Amiin

Look this horumar. While our ports are taken by second rate regional powers like Saudi and the Emirates, Kenya is (going to) get their shit took by a global power!

I make dua every day that Allah raises our status and lets us be taken advantage of by powerful men, and let them yank my hijab as they do so. Amiin
Are u Christian? You avi is a cross :cosbyhmm:

Just curious :)

Tukraq

VIP

This isn’t a good thing for Kenya lol(worst case scenario), maybe for China though, Kenya is now literally portless as it now belongs to China forever due to debt slavery

Zayn

Visionary from Garbaharey

Wlhi I remembered Trevor Noah saying if you tell South Africans that their country doesnt have natural disasters they would be like why does our country not have natural disasters while the world is having disasters. So what is good abt your port being taken whether it is a regional power or a superpower

Tukraq

VIP
Wlhi I remembered Trevor Noah saying if you tell South Africans that their country doesnt have natural disasters they would be like why does our country not have natural disasters while the world is having disasters. So what is good abt your port being taken whether it is a regional power or a superpower
Exactly first @AussieHustler acting like a government losing money funding an airlines was a good thing now @Samira acting like losing your only port(while losing significant maritime to us), is somehow a plus? These are major negatives and we get a plus just not engaging in it and fucking up like they have, in fact we’re major winners here as both our neighbors are now basically landlocked

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
It's bad for us too. The Chinese will rehaul the port and turn into a world class regional hub.

Especially since they already invested in a railway line to Nairobi and soon the DRC.

Somali ports would be relegated to second class ports unless we can find others to spend billions to connect us to the region.

Tukraq

VIP
It's bad for us too. The Chinese will rehaul the port and turn into a world class regional hub.

Especially since they already invested in a railway line to Nairobi and soon the DRC.
They have to compete with us for pricing though, we can always go lower than they can

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
They have to compete with us for pricing though, we can always go lower than they can

Railway cuts the costs down dramatically while we're stuck with trucking goods all the way up Nairobi and East Africa.

That railway actually has a lot more capacity than out dusty roads and it's a lot faster.

Even accessing Ethiopia is a lot easier for them because the can slip through the clear Nairobi - Addis Ababa corridor.

No doubt the Chinese will be planning to create a railway there too since it will connect them to South Sudan.

Time's running out. We need to stop these pointless bickering in Somalia get to building before we end up replacing our shilling with the yuan.

Tukraq

VIP
Railway cuts the costs down dramatically while we're stuck with trucking goods all the way up Nairobi and East Africa.

That railway actually has a lot more capacity than out dusty roads and it's a lot faster.

Even accessing Ethiopia is a lot easier for them because the can slip through the clear Nairobi - Addis Ababa corridor.

No doubt the Chinese will be planning to create a railway there too since it will connect them to South Sudan.

Time's running out. We need to stop these pointless bickering in Somalia get to building before we end up replacing our shilling with the yuan.
Even if it cuts prices with transport for them we can go even lower lol, were literally totally free market, plus no regulation or taxes

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
You're hatred makes you all dumb, this is how China controls a country or owns a piece of land that in that country. They fully open this port they built in Sri Lanka when it didn't keep up payments expanded it for there military now same is happening to Kenya and not long Djibouti which already borrowed billions from them.

Whereas Berbera port is still owned by the state but managed by an external party. We seen the benefits to Berbera and Somaliland ever since they signed on all the factories being built etc. The corridor under construction Berbera Road network

Muji

VIP
win win for them, they use Kismayo port anyways to beat the market which is why there business outsell the kenyatti ones and the reason Eastleigh market is the most dominant

Something tells me this won’t happen.

I can’t take anything you say seriously since you claimed in another thread that you’ll be a billionaire.

Apollo

VIP
China is a loan shark.

They give out loans to poor countries knowing that they can't pay it back and then they take over their critical infrastructure.

Imperialism 2.0.

Trending