Chia Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

fox

31/12/16 - 04/04/20
VIP
chiafresca-2408_thumb.jpg

Chia seeds were used back in the day with Aztecs for supplying energy and nutrition. Several sources claimed that a single handful of the seeds could supply warriors with energy for 24 hours!

What makes chia seeds so useful for Ramadan is their uncanny nature to form a "gel" when mixed with water. If you put a teaspoon of chia seeds in water, wait 20-30 minutes and you will see the seeds form a "gel" substance. The water will then become thick and gelatinous. In doing so, chia seeds contribute to keeping one fuller and more hydrated for longer periods of time- PERFECT for 16 hour fasting days!

They also have a large supply of omega-3 fatty acids that are important for brain and heart functions. We mostly hear about getting omega-3 fatty acids in fish; but for any person, fish might get old after so many days, and I am not the biggest fan of popping the fish oil pills. Thus, chia seeds are a great alternative. They also aid in supplies of antioxidants (always a good thing) and calcium.

They are high in copper I know. All types of seeds are very good for you. I overdose on chia, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and nuts such as cashews, brazil nuts etc..

But during ramadan, I'll be eating real food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending