Camel Domestication - Somali penunsila or Southern Arabia

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
Since I saw a discussion about where the camel was domesticated I thought why not continue the discussion here. Did you know there are more than 40 words for camel in the Somali language and more than 50% of the camel population in the world is found in the Somali penunsila. With camel I mean the one hump dromedary also known as Somali, East African or Arabic Camel

Without a doubt it is one of the most important animals in our dhaqan and history if not not THE MOST. In no other culture worldwide the camel as important as in the Somali culture. It is uniquely adapted to hot and arid climates.
Camels provide milk (60% of the milk consumed in Somalia is from camels), meat, transport, money when they are sold

Camel milk is the staple food of Somali pastoral communities, which rely on its direct consumption throughout the year as well as on its increasing relevance as an income generator. Traditionally camel milk was utilized for internal consumption or exchanged as a gift to establish and keep family ties and social support mechanisms.

Also when a Sultan or Ugaas is crowned we know camel milk gets poured over ones head and one is officially inaugurated as a Sultan or Ugaas.

An evidence to the camel's importance in the Somali culture is the dozens of words for camel in the Somali language. Also, one of the words for the number one in Somali is hal, which means a she-camel.

Here are some words for camel in Somali:

Aaran - young camels who are no longer sucklings

Abeer, Ameer - female camel that has not given birth

Afkuxuuble - miscarried camel fetus

Awr - male pack camel

Awradhale - camel that always gives birth to he-camels; stud-camel that always breeds male camels"

Baarfuran - female camel that is not used as a pack camel

Baarqab - stud camel

Baatir - mature female camel that has had no offspring

Baloolley - she-camel without calf that will or will not give milk depending on her mood

Buub - young unbroken male camel

Caddaysimo - unloaded pack camel; unpoisoned arrow

Caggabbaruur - young camel

Cashatab - female camel that has stopped giving milk or failed to conceive when it was supposed to

Daandheer - strong camel of the herd

Duq - old female camel; a word that is also used to describe old woman

Dhaan - camel loaded with water vessels

Dhoocil - bull camel; a word that is also used to describe a naughty boy/girl

Farruud, Garruud - mature male camels; a word that is also used to describe the Somali elders

Fur - to unload a camel; meaning also to open, disclose, set free, decipher, untie

Garruud - old male camels; a word that is also used to describe old people"

Geel - a collective name for camel

Gool - fat camel

Guubis, Guumis - "first-born male camel

Gulaal - male camel unable to project the gland in his mouth; a word that is also used to describe a person with hesitant or stammering speech

gulguuluc - low bellow of a camel when it is sick or thirsty; a word used to describe a poem recited in a low voice

Guran - herd of camels no longer giving milk that are kept far from dwelling areas

Guree - to make room for a person to sit on a loaded camel; this word also means to make space for s.o. in a loaded car or truck

Gurgurshaa - calm, docile pack-camel which can be loaded with delicate items

Hal - she-camel

Haneed - left side of cow camel where one stands when milking; this word is also used to describe good form, nice style.

Hayin - tame pack camel; a word that also means docile, simple, uncomplicated

Irmaan - dairy camels

Kareeb - "mother camel kept apart from her young

Labakurusle - two humped camel

Mandhoorey - best camel in the herd

Nirig - camel foal

Rati - male camel

Qaalin - young camel

Qawaar - old she camel

Qoorqab - uncastrated male

Qurbac - young male camel

Rakuub - riding camel (from Arabic)

Ramag, Ramad - she-camel who has recently given birth

Sidig - one of two female camels suckling the same infant

U maqaarsaar - to put the skin of a dead calf or baby camel on top of a living one in order to induce the camel to still give milk; this word also means deceive, mislead or trick s.o."

Xagjir - milk-producing camel that is partially milked (two udders for human consumption; two for its calf)

Now back to the question was the camel first domesticated in the Somali peninsula or Southern Arabia. To me both areas used to be one area in the past and I would say both areas, but some are trying to downplay the Somali part in domesticating the camel.

80870310_605621356864528_6990911769413681152_n.jpg

Lord of Warshiekh

Friend of a Selected few, The Rt.Hon.
Since I saw a discussion about where the camel was domesticated I thought why not continue the discussion here. Did you know there are more than 40 words for camel in the Somali language and more than 50% of the camel population in the world is found in the Somali penunsila. With camel I mean the one hump dromedary also known as Somali, East African or Arabic Camel

Without a doubt it is one of the most important animals in our dhaqan and history if not not THE MOST. In no other culture worldwide the camel as important as in the Somali culture. It is uniquely adapted to hot and arid climates.
Camels provide milk (60% of the milk consumed in Somalia is from camels), meat, transport, money when they are sold

Camel milk is the staple food of Somali pastoral communities, which rely on its direct consumption throughout the year as well as on its increasing relevance as an income generator. Traditionally camel milk was utilized for internal consumption or exchanged as a gift to establish and keep family ties and social support mechanisms.

Also when a Sultan or Ugaas is crowned we know camel milk gets poured over ones head and one is officially inaugurated as a Sultan or Ugaas.

An evidence to the camel's importance in the Somali culture is the dozens of words for camel in the Somali language. Also, one of the words for the number one in Somali is hal, which means a she-camel.

Here are some words for camel in Somali:

Aaran - young camels who are no longer sucklings

Abeer, Ameer - female camel that has not given birth

Afkuxuuble - miscarried camel fetus

Awr - male pack camel

Awradhale - camel that always gives birth to he-camels; stud-camel that always breeds male camels"

Baarfuran - female camel that is not used as a pack camel

Baarqab - stud camel

Baatir - mature female camel that has had no offspring

Baloolley - she-camel without calf that will or will not give milk depending on her mood

Buub - young unbroken male camel

Caddaysimo - unloaded pack camel; unpoisoned arrow

Caggabbaruur - young camel

Cashatab - female camel that has stopped giving milk or failed to conceive when it was supposed to

Daandheer - strong camel of the herd

Duq - old female camel; a word that is also used to describe old woman

Dhaan - camel loaded with water vessels

Dhoocil - bull camel; a word that is also used to describe a naughty boy/girl

Farruud, Garruud - mature male camels; a word that is also used to describe the Somali elders

Fur - to unload a camel; meaning also to open, disclose, set free, decipher, untie

Garruud - old male camels; a word that is also used to describe old people"

Geel - a collective name for camel

Gool - fat camel

Guubis, Guumis - "first-born male camel

Gulaal - male camel unable to project the gland in his mouth; a word that is also used to describe a person with hesitant or stammering speech

gulguuluc - low bellow of a camel when it is sick or thirsty; a word used to describe a poem recited in a low voice

Guran - herd of camels no longer giving milk that are kept far from dwelling areas

Guree - to make room for a person to sit on a loaded camel; this word also means to make space for s.o. in a loaded car or truck

Gurgurshaa - calm, docile pack-camel which can be loaded with delicate items

Hal - she-camel

Haneed - left side of cow camel where one stands when milking; this word is also used to describe good form, nice style.

Hayin - tame pack camel; a word that also means docile, simple, uncomplicated

Irmaan - dairy camels

Kareeb - "mother camel kept apart from her young

Labakurusle - two humped camel

Mandhoorey - best camel in the herd

Nirig - camel foal

Rati - male camel

Qaalin - young camel

Qawaar - old she camel

Qoorqab - uncastrated male

Qurbac - young male camel

Rakuub - riding camel (from Arabic)

Ramag, Ramad - she-camel who has recently given birth

Sidig - one of two female camels suckling the same infant

U maqaarsaar - to put the skin of a dead calf or baby camel on top of a living one in order to induce the camel to still give milk; this word also means deceive, mislead or trick s.o."

Xagjir - milk-producing camel that is partially milked (two udders for human consumption; two for its calf)

Now back to the question was the camel first domesticated in the Somali peninsula or Southern Arabia. To me both areas used to be one area in the past and I would say both areas, but some are trying to downplay the Somali part in domesticating the camel.

80870310_605621356864528_6990911769413681152_n.jpg

the coat of arms should have a lion and camel supporting the shield instead of two leopards.

Last edited:
It's confirmed. The wecel waaqo is back
:chrisfreshhah:
What's up with this historical revisionism!? Since when did xabeshas come from Arabs? Please tell me the name of this great Bedouin that gave birth to Tigrayans and Amxaaras.

Let's accept it as it is lol. Both me and you come from an Arabian line. :denzelnigga:

So Habeshis are Cushite?
Of course. I'm convinced, their language is Semitic but that's a different story. We're overwhelmingly Cushitic too but many, if not most have lineage from Arabia and some Arab admixture from the last couple centuries. For example a lot of MJ and Awdal families intermarried with Arabs when they controlled the coast and after that.

Trending