Cambaabur the great Somali dish from Awdal

Kezira

disneylanders
7azckWk.png

angelplan

Staff Member
2020 CHESS CHAMP
BORAMA, AWDAL
I grew up with cambabur but seriously i did not know that is a unique gadabursi dish? in the EID we always gave and share with our isaaq, issa and afars neighbours in Djibouti.

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
I grew up with cambabur but seriously i did not know that is a unique gadabursi dish? in the EID we always gave and share with our isaaq, issa and afars neighbours in Djibouti.
It's mostly from Djibouti Awdal area unfamiliar in other parts of Somali penunsila. I heard it was created in Zeila.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I never had that, is it canjeelo? It looks canjeelo.

Can you share the recipe shopie?

I'm not the greatest at directions but hear goes. The problem with asking about exact measurements from hooyos is they constantly wing it. Uggg!

Ingredients
- 2 C wheat flour (Could add 1 C of self-rising flour and 1 C of regular wheat flour)
- 1 C sorghum flour
- 1 1/2 cups of water (guestimation)
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of fennel seed
- 1 tsp of black seed
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of a cooking oil (of your choice for each serving)

Directions:
- Combine 2 cups of wheat flour to 1 cup of sorghum flour and add 1 cup of water then mix.
- Separately blend 1 small onion and 4 garlic cloves 1/2 cup of water until its liquified. Then add contents to mixing bowl.
- Then add 1 tsp of fennel seed and 1 tsp of black seed along with 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
- Leave the contents covered over night on the countertop to allow for fermentation (roughly 8 hours).

When preparing:
- Use an old school black skillet/ cast iron pan aka known as dawa in Somali. Could be a typo so correct me on it.
- pre-heat pan at medium heat and add 1 tsp of cooking oil while preparing.
- And make it as you would like laxoox except you must flip it over and make it thicker.

It's also normally consumed with yogurt.

An actual real life demo would be so much better.

Last edited:

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I'm not the greatest at directions but hear goes. The problem with asking about exact measurements from hooyos is they constantly wing it. Uggg!

Ingredients
- 2 C wheat flour (Could add 1 C of self-rising flour and 1 C of regular wheat flour)
- 1 C sorghum flour
- 1 1/2 cups of water (guestimation)
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp of fennel seed
- 1 tsp of black seed
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of a cooking oil (of your choice for each serving)

Directions:
- Combine 2 cups of wheat flour to 1 cup of sorghum flour and add 1 cup of water then mix.
- Separately blend 1 small onion and 4 garlic cloves 1/2 cup of water until its liquified. Then add contents to mixing bowl.
- Then add 1 tsp of fennel seed and 1 tsp of black seed along with 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
- Leave the contents covered over night on the countertop to allow for fermentation (roughly 8 hours).

When preparing:
- Use an old school black skillet/ cast iron pan aka known as dawa in Somali. Could be a typo so correct me on it.
- pre-heat pan at medium heat and add 1 tsp of cooking oil while preparing.
- And make it as you would like laxoox except you must flip it over and make it thicker.

It's also normally consumed with yogurt.

An actual real life demo would be so much better.

Wonderful!

Thank you Sophie, I will attempt to do this next weekend for brunch. Hopefully I don't screw it up.

Trending