BREAKING: Somali govt tells foreign firms to pay taxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
They shouldn't pay anything. Those companies provide thousands of families a livelihood in a war zone. If they leave tomorrow, they'll be jobless and can't feed their families.

The taxes will never be used for its intended purpose. It'll go to an offshore bank account.

They should only be registered with the government and that's it.

They shouldn't pay anything. Those companies provide thousands of families a livelihood in a war zone. If they leave tomorrow, they'll be jobless and can't feed their families.

The taxes will never be used for its intended purpose. It'll go to an offshore bank account.

And how exactly is the government supposed to be fund any service or even basic functions?

The tax is reasonable and when the investment is more stable Somali government with reliable service it will benefit society as a whole

And how exactly is the government supposed to be fund any service or even basic functions?

The tax is reasonable and when the investment is more stable Somali government with reliable service it will benefit society as a whole

They were not providing any services with the taxes they were collecting in the first place.

They get hundreds of millions in tax from ports and airports all over southern Somalia. Where is the money? These people become millionaires after their 1 term in office.

They can't pay their soldiers on time. They provide no benefits to the elderly. They don't pay the $5 a month school fees for even the poorest children. They don't build anything; it's foreigners who give them the money to build it or build it for them.

I want to see the tax rate of what they're demanding these poor companies so I can laugh at it.

YoungFarah

:)
VIP
They were not providing any services with the taxes they were collecting in the first place.

They get hundreds of millions in tax from ports and airports all over southern Somalia. Where is the money? These people become millionaires after their 1 term in office.

They can't pay their soldiers on time. They provide no benefits to the elderly. They don't pay the $5 a month school fees for even the poorest children. They don't build anything; it's foreigners who give them the money to build it or build it for them.

I want to see the tax rate of what they're demanding these poor companies so I can laugh at it.
Somalia after all is a nation with a government and taxes are thus mandatory. That's like saying foreign companies in your beloved US shouldn't pay taxes:umwhat:

Somalia after all is a nation with a government and taxes are thus mandatory. That's like saying foreign companies in your beloved US shouldn't pay taxes:umwhat:

They get taxes from the ports.

They should prove to the public they are making good use of that before taking anymore.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP

A government definitely needs revenue to survive but it needs some basic legal foundations first.

There is no way I'd pay in tax in Somalia atm because there is no way I could sue the government for over charging or more importantly... having my competitors treated differently ....either through nepotism or corruption.

Also the government is not transparent on where the tax revenue goes.

Even Kenya has an annual budget and methods to keep the government honest.

The moment they come up with those legal protections I'd be happy to pay a high tax rate.

On the other hand....

We should have laws exempting charities and some types of non-profit organisations from tax.

Private for profit companies that are running a business in Somalia should pay tax but the government shouldn't try to milk them dry as there won't be anyone to milk the year after.

Mohamedali

Sug dee ninyahow
The thing is we don't know any of these private companies by the government making them pay taxes we see aware of their actions this way the good and bad is clear like black and white

This is new administration that is fighting the corruption and wants to improve the life of the people.

These companies hired only foreigners not locals (Somalis) even the cleaning lady is from Uganda. Most of their jobs demand the candidates to be Christian and speak Amhara. Company like Chelsea village hotel boasts about not hiring single Somali.

This new administration had paid all the public sectors workers including the security sector their full wages. Some of them were paid for 9 months(last administration).

A government definitely needs revenue to survive but it needs some basic legal foundations first.

There is no way I'd pay in tax in Somalia atm because there is no way I could sue the government for over charging or more importantly... having my competitors treated differently ....either through nepotism or corruption.

Also the government is not transparent on where the tax revenue goes.

Even Kenya has an annual budget and methods to keep the government honest.

The moment they come up with those legal protections I'd be happy to pay a high tax rate.

On the other hand....

We should have laws exempting charities and some types of non-profit organisations from tax.

Private for profit companies that are running a business in Somalia should pay tax but the government shouldn't try to milk them dry as there won't be anyone to milk the year after.

They didn't pay tax for the last 10 years, also they don't hire Somalis and took the land for free.

register with what government? did the "meeting at mog airport" not give you a clue.

i bet the officials asking for taxes from these companies use them for protection as they cant trust the mooryaans in army. and this includes the mercenary protected president.

Status
Not open for further replies.