Brazilian Jujitsu Thread/Boxing/Muay Thai/Other Martial Arts Thread

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
I'll be getting back into Brazilian Ju Jitsu soon. There's a nice Gracie bjj gym near me(6 min drive) so I'll be starting from scratch.

I think every Somali regardless Male or Female should pick up a good martial art as there's numerous benefits

-better health
-fun hobby
-great self defense
-good for mental health

Epi

I’m not a little kid
I used to do karate when I was younger. They gave me homework. Homework! So I left

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
I used to do karate when I was younger. They gave me homework. Homework! So I left
LOL WTF. I used to do karate or tae kwon do. It's pretty good to keep you in shape but it was pretty useless as a fighting style. I think theres certain karate styles that are effective, but the one I was doing was pretty shit

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
Striking disciplines >>> All that grappling stuff
No way. You risk brain damage. Plus there are more far more evidence pure grapplers do well against strikers than vice versa.
Gracies already proved that by dominating in the early UFC when it was based on singular disciplines matched up against each other.

A good grappler beats a good striker any day of the week for the most part.

The only thing striking does better than grappling is maybe from a self defense aspect. I can understand that since fights do start on the feet. But self awareness is more important than any martial art when it comes to that aspect.

I'm tryna get into it too sooner rather than later, don't wanna get too old when I start. Still deciding on which one i'd like to take though.
:cosbyhmm:

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
I'm tryna get into it too sooner rather than later, don't wanna get too old when I start. Still deciding on which one i'd like to take though.
:cosbyhmm:
I prefer BJJ just because I don't want to risk getting brain damage. I am a hobbyist at the end of the day and not trying to actually compete in sport. My life goal in BJJ is to get at least a purple belt.

Been boxing since I started HS and had a few amateur bouts. Want to get back into it soon.

I prefer BJJ just because I don't want to risk getting brain damage. I am a hobbyist at the end of the day and not trying to actually compete in sport. My life goal in BJJ is to get at least a purple belt.
Unless you do heavy sparring you won't get brain damage. Most ppl join boxing gyms bc it greatly improves your strength and endurance. The workouts would have you exhausted before even starting the actual boxing drills(which is the fun part)

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
Been boxing since I started HS and had a few amateur bouts. Want to get back into it soon.

Unless you do heavy sparring you won't get brain damage. Most ppl join boxing gyms bc it greatly improves your strength and endurance. The workouts would have you exhausted before even starting the actual boxing drills(which is the fun part)
how is it for self defense?

how is it for self defense?
Pretty good if you ask me. Apart from the physical aspects your hand eye coordination becomes better as well as your reflexes and footwork. Mma is probably best though for self defence as it incorporates all fighting techniques and there seems to be more of those gyms emerging nowadays. But boxing is still a good starting point and you get to solely focus on one thing.

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
Pretty good if you ask me. Apart from the physical aspects your hand eye coordination becomes better as well as your reflexes and footwork. Mma is probably best though for self defence as it incorporates all fighting techniques and there seems to be more of those gyms emerging nowadays. But boxing is still a good starting point and you get to solely focus on one thing.
I think imma check out boxing. I always loved boxing, its such an amazing sport. I'll get into it on your recommendation as well!

Trending