Borderline personality disorder

Hi ladies,
I decided to post this topic here because i feel like in the somali community women acknowledge mental health more so then men.

I have a relative (2nd cousin) who was recently diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, my aunty struggled with her for a long time. They have a bad relationship to put it lightly, now she is believed to be mentally ill and on medication.

When she has manic episodes it is really bad, she calls the police on the family and does all sorts of things out of character. She ends up literally homeless on the streets and is taken advantage of by strangers, But because we live in the West and she is 20 yrls old girl they keep everything confidential and unless the doctors section her they don't do much other than tell her to seek help, they have only ever sectioned her if she got violent. It has taken its toll on her whole family father and mother especially. Any here ever dealt with anything like this ?

Last edited:

bobsburger

I am NOT a federal agent
Hi ladies,
I decided to post this topic here because i feel like in the somali community women acknowledge mental health more so then men.

I have a relative (2nd cousin) who was recently diagnosed with bipolar, my aunty struggled with her for a long time. They have a bad relationship to put it lightly, now she is believed to be mentally ill and on medication.

When she has manic episodes it is really bad, she calls the police on the family and does all sorts of things out of character. She ends up literally homeless on the streets and is taken advantage of by strangers, But because we live in the West and she is 20 yrls old girl they keep everything confidential and unless the doctors section her they don't do much other than tell her to seek help, they have only ever sectioned her if she got violent. It has taken its toll on her whole family father and mother especially. Any here ever dealt with anything like this ?
Inshallah they get better try to get them to do Quran saar it is beneficial

Asli

idiocy gives me energy
VIP
So many Somalis are undiagnosed wallahi. It even ranges from autism to physiological issues. People brush it off in fear of ceeb culture and they don’t want to be talked about by the cities. Pretty sad once you think of it

Inshallah they get better try to get them to do Quran saar it is beneficial
She has had Quran saar multiple times, she is now refusing to co operate with her family and is seeking to move away from them. Inshallah we just keep praying Allah to keep her safe, im wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

So many Somalis are undiagnosed wallahi. It even ranges from autism to physiological issues. People brush it off in fear of ceeb culture and they don’t want to be talked about by the cities. Pretty sad once you think of it
I know, there should be support groups where ppl help each other but i guess the whole shame culture ppl rather deny and suffer in silence.

Desert Flower

Staff Member
Hi ladies,

I have a relative (2nd cousin) who was recently diagnosed with bipolar, my aunty struggled with her for a long time. They have a bad relationship to put it lightly, now she is believed to be mentally ill and on medication.

Hey sis. Feel free to DM me.

Sophisticate

Steel Magnolia
Staff Member
There was this book: Understanding the Borderline Mother. Here is the audiobook. I recommend you take a listen it's in 15 parts/clips (it's in short digestible segments).

Hi ladies,

I have a relative (2nd cousin) who was recently diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, my aunty struggled with her for a long time. They have a bad relationship to put it lightly, now she is believed to be mentally ill and on medication.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of symptoms did she show before her diagnosis?

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of symptoms did she show before her diagnosis?
Well im not too sure i haven't spent allot of time around her, I thought she was just short tempered and was going through that teenage phase.. staying out late, hanging with friends, but this is out of the ordinary. She started behaving in a vry hyperactive way, wouldn't trust her family and would go off with total strangers without a second thought.
Her mother believes its a jinn possession or sihir done on her by ppl back home in somalia..

Trending