Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Link above and quoted from the Book with the Title

"Adduunyo waa Sheeko iyo Shaahid" ....

"The World is a Story and The People who Witness"

My Translation of the Sheeko:

A man and a tree-trunk

upload_2018-2-23_11-5-1.jpeg

"A man travelling at mid-night saw something dark on the ground far ahead which he could not identify. Instead of risking his life or get hurt by the object he could not identify, he decided to stay put where he was till sunrise. Noticing what he feared was a mere Tree-trunk(see picture above) at day-break, the man said " What I thought of you .... and what you turned out to be ... and what I will never do again" ...(Explaining the man's thoughts) .. " I thought you were a wild beast .... but you turned out to be tree-trunk ... And I will never travel at night again .." We stop the story on here .."

Last edited:

A man and a tree-trunk

View attachment 38418

"A man travelling at mid-night saw something dark on the ground far ahead which he could not identify. Instead of risking his life or to get hurt by the object he could not identify, he decided to stay put where he was till sunrise. Noticing what he feared was a mere Tree-trunk(see picture above), the man said " What I thought of you .... and what you turned out to be ... and what I will never do again" ...(Explaining the man's thoughts) .. " I thought you were a wild beast .... but you turned out to be tree-trunk ... And I will never travel at night again .." We stop the story on here .." View attachment 38419

Very good translation! There are some decent books in there. Its a great resource to improve on the somali language

Very good translation! There are some decent books in there. Its a great resource to imrove on the somali languange

Yea, I haven't checked all of them. My written Somali is not perfect(I can not write it as I wanted to) but my spoken Somali and knowledge of the words are good. I can't claim an expert level but can easily beat the wanna be Somalis on this website.

cambuulo shake

Ar Wakanda ii geeya

A man and a tree-trunk

View attachment 38418

"A man travelling at mid-night saw something dark on the ground far ahead which he could not identify. Instead of risking his life or get hurt by the object he could not identify, he decided to stay put where he was till sunrise. Noticing what he feared was a mere Tree-trunk(see picture above) at day-break, the man said " What I thought of you .... and what you turned out to be ... and what I will never do again" ...(Explaining the man's thoughts) .. " I thought you were a wild beast .... but you turned out to be tree-trunk ... And I will never travel at night again .." We stop the story on here .."

That story sounds soo much like the story of cigaal shiidaad , he thought it was a lion so he didnt move til the next morning come to find out it was part of a tree. He is the biggest fulaay in somalia history lol

Where is it from if you don't mind my asking?

Hi SweetHeart, you can buy it on Ebay Uk I think. This is what it looks Like.

I can find a PDF version you can use online, but I want you to buy it so the Somalis who made this possible get some profit out of it. I paid $20 at a Somali store in Our State.

Cool book. Just so you know, Four Somali women contributed to the making of this dictionary. Here is a picture straight from Credit section of my Copy of the book:

upload_2018-2-23_11-50-32.png

BANTU

+op MVLI
@BANTU weren't you looking for somali books? Here is a list you can choose from.
Thanks but I've had that link for a while now. I was looking for hard copy books, and a couple SSpotters hooked me up with three books that I've bought and I've read one so far. Always looking for more though.

That story sounds soo much like the story of cigaal shiidaad , he thought it was a lion so he didnt move til the next morning come to find out it was part of a tree. He is the biggest fulaay in somalia history lol

Cigaal shiidaad is hilarious. He pretended he was dead to get out of fighting with the enemies. When the men from his qabiil came to his door to ask his wife where he is &when he died he yelled 'tell them I died yesterday' :russ: Juxa is another man who was a fulay in sheeko somali

RICH

The Qadr of Allaah ta’aala is always in our favor.
Hi SweetHeart, you can buy it on Ebay Uk I think. This is what it looks Like.

I can find a PDF version you can use online, but I want you to buy it so the Somalis who made this possible get some profit out of it. I paid $20 at a Somali store in Our State.

Cool book. Just so you know, Four Somali women contributed to the making of this dictionary. Here is a picture straight from Credit section of my Copy of the book:

View attachment 38423

This may be a stupid question, but is it Somali that is used by Reer Woqooyi or Reer Konfuur? Not that they speak a complete different language, but I do for example find it hard to understand people from Xamar.

This may be a stupid question, but is it Somali that is used by Reer Woqooyi or Reer Konfuur? Not that they speak a complete different language, but I do for example find it hard to understand people from Xamar.

Standard Somali. The same one used to tell the stories in the link. When I read an article in Somali, whether it was written by someone from the North, or From the South, the Somali used is still familiar and the same.

The difference is when Somalis speak/talk. That is when you can put region to their Somali. And they are in three categories or more. It is how they say the words, or what words they use that makes each distinct.

Consider the question of "What did you say?" in Somali:

Maxaad Tiri?
Maxaad Tidhi?
Maxaa Dhahday?
Maxaad leedahay?
Maxaad Oran?

All somali and correct. A somali in Somalia should understand all.

the Word "You":

Adiga
Adi

The Word Now:

Hadda
Imika
Waqtiga xaadirka ah

the Word Girl:

Gabar
Gabadh
Inan
foodleey (from deep south like Kismayo/waamo areas)

Inan is used in Waqooyi and someone from Muqdisho/Kismayo won't use that to refer to a young girl, but they understand what it means. Just to point out minor use differences and words.

The Word here:

Halkan
Halakan
Meeshaan
Mahaan

In written somali, you will see Halkan iyo Meeshan, but not Halakan/Meehaan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.