Blood Test: white blood count low

Could you please clarify if Somalis have a lower white blood count than other ethnicities? I've noticed that in the past ten years, all of my blood tests have shown a low or very low white blood count. Around eight months ago, my white blood count was so low that I was advised to go straight to the ER. Fortunately, after retesting, it returned to normal levels, but it's still lower than other groups in the UK.

My doctors have informed me that my low white blood count could be due to my ethnicity and the region in Africa I come from. Has anyone else in this forum experienced this before?

In the end, they would like for me to complete a blood test twice a year to keep track.

It could cause issues with infections and recovery in the future.

Anyway, just wondering if this was an issue other Somalis have experienced.

Could you please clarify if Somalis have a lower white blood count than other ethnicities? I've noticed that in the past ten years, all of my blood tests have shown a low or very low white blood count. Around eight months ago, my white blood count was so low that I was advised to go straight to the ER. Fortunately, after retesting, it returned to normal levels, but it's still lower than other groups in the UK.

My doctors have informed me that my low white blood count could be due to my ethnicity and the region in Africa I come from. Has anyone else in this forum experienced this before?

In the end, they would like for me to complete a blood test twice a year to keep track.

It could cause issues with infections and recovery in the future.

Anyway, just wondering if this was an issue other Somalis have experienced.
How often do you get sick?

I tend to suffer from longer-lasting common colds compared to my family members. Two years ago, I contracted an infection called H. pylori which significantly impacted my life. I had to take antibiotics and PPI for a gastro issue that developed due to the infection. Although the tests for the infection came back negative, the symptoms later returned. As a result, I had an abdomen ultrasound done.

Look like I have an easier time getting sick and a harder time recovering.

I'm doing better now however I still get gastro issues from time to time.

johnsepei5

Head of Somalia freemasonry branch
many people of African or Middle Eastern descent have lower white blood cell counts than other ethnic groups, probably due to a genetic variant that helps protect people of African descent from malaria.

How does it help against malaria if we haven't developed immunity? Since Africa is known for having a higher incidence of viruses compared to Europe and Asia, one would think that we would have a higher white blood cell count.

How does it help against malaria if we haven't developed immunity? Since Africa is known for having a higher incidence of viruses compared to Europe and Asia, one would think that we would have a higher white blood cell count.
Which type of white blood cell are you low in