Blackfishing: The women accused of pretending to be black

If black women can use lightening creams to look like white women, then why can't white women tan themselves and become black women? This is hypocrisy!!!

_104609428_alicjacomposite.jpg

"I've had no surgery, so I can't take off these lips. I can't remove my 'fake bum implants'."

Over the past month Aga Brzostowska has been labelled a "blackfish".

It's a term used for someone accused of pretending to be black or mixed-race on social media.

The suggestion Aga has been faking her race is news to her.

The 20-year-old University of Birmingham student told Radio 1 Newsbeat her skin is naturally "not pale". But she does admit to making it darker.

"With things like tanning, I don't think I've done anything in a malicious way.

"So I don't feel like I need to stop doing something because... why would I stop doing something that's benefitting me or that I enjoy doing?" Aga, who asked to be referred to as Alicja, says.

She says she's not suggesting "white privilege is not a thing" - but wants to tell her critics "the assumptions you're making are wrong".

Alicja is just one of a number of white Instagram influencers who've been accused of changing their features to make themselves look more like black women.

People have pointed in their pictures they have darker skin, fuller lips, bigger thighs and bums, and hairstyles that include curls and braids.

Sweden's Emma Hallberg, who has more than 260,000 Instagram followers, is the most infamous.

She had to defend herself after two photos of her went viral on social media.

_97415642_007_in_numbers_624.png

"I do not see myself as anything else than white," Emma told Buzzfeed. "I get a deep tan naturally from the sun."

Emma's defence is similar to the two women accused of blackfishing spoken to by Newsbeat.

Alicja admits that two pictures of her which were doing the rounds on Twitter - one from when she was 13 and one taken recently - don't look good for her.

"I understand why the Twitter thread was made. And it makes sense to use my pictures, because without looking at anything or knowing me, it makes sense to put those two pictures together because obviously you can see a mad difference - a crazy difference.

"So I'm not really upset at the fact that someone used the pictures without knowing me. It makes sense of what they were trying to get across."

Alicja claims the differences in her appearance shown in the two pictures is completely natural - the result of hard work in the gym, and being fresh back from holiday - braids included.

And she thinks part of the reason people are surprised when they find out she's white is down to "stereotypes" about what Polish people look like.

"I'm proud to be Polish but I don't know why I look like this - my features are just there. I can't help that I have big lips and not the stereotypical Polish features," she says.

As for the braids, Alicja says her friend's little sister had started a hair company and wanted to use her head for pictures.

"I didn't really think much of it. I really appreciate the culture and I really just love the look - that was literally it."

Why is this a big deal?

Blackfishing has been talked about a lot ever since writer Wanna Thompson's Twitter thread - which highlighted women accused of blackfishing - went viral last month.

Some people have been questioning why it's an issue.

Dara Thurmond, a nurse from New York who's been vocal about blackfishing, told Radio 1 Newsbeat that black people "just being ourselves" has "always been frowned upon".

She says her frustration comes when white women who appear to be posing as black don't know "the struggle that black women go through just to be accepted as who they are".

_104609426_dara.jpg

Dara says black influencers are being "pushed to the side" by girls who are blackfishing

"Even now in certain work spaces, black women can't wear their natural hair out. They have to wear weave.

"They have to press their hair so that it's straight, because to wear an afro or to wear braids or to wear locks is seen as unclean or untidy - it's not professional."

She says women accused of blackfishing are being "unfair" to black women who are trying to make it as influencers and get product endorsements of their own.

"You take away from them," Dara says.

Jaiden Gumbayan is 19, from Jacksonville, Florida, and has also been accused of blackfishing.

Like Alicja, she says she understands some of the backlash against her, but denies pretending to be a different race to her own.

She believes there's a "fine line between appreciation and appropriation".

"It could be looked at as the biggest form of flattery to some black women or people of colour, and to others it's mimicking and taking their culture without knowing the history behind it," she says.

"I know that there are other influencers on Instagram, and other celebrities... that is their intention."

A name that's been mentioned in almost everything written online about blackfishing is Kardashian.

It's because Kim, in particular, has been accused of appropriating black culture on several occasions down the years.

Read the rest on;

Shmurda

King Of NSFW
Self-hate has been instilled into black people for centuries and at the same time 78% of models in the industry are white people and also lighter skinned folk get treated better than those with a darker complexion. It's pretty obvious that white people want to be black without the struggles. Also the first white people to darken their skin were kkk members doing blackface to make a mockery of black people. I think black people have a right to be pissed off about this.

And im also pretty sure theres less african americans using skin lightening cream then there are white americans tanning.

Last edited:

Tukraq

VIP
Who the hell uses lightning creams(are you talking about those in Africa that have no relation to this?), Light skins are out of style lol so why would they use lightning creams

Tukraq

VIP
@Tukraq

This is Iman, do you think Manhattan lightened her up? Most African women in the diaspora lighten themselves up.

1024_iman_before_after-1.jpg
Yeah lack of melanin you get from living in newyork can do that, that’s just weather difference you probably wouldn’t understand though living in the desserts of Australia, no diaspora is using lighting creme unless there a fob(who wouldn’t be mad at blackfishing anyways), like I said light skin is out of style this ain’t 2012 lol

Blackfishing is the height of privilege. They will never understand the struggles black women go through. This is not appreciation in anyway but mockery.

Last edited:
The problem is the millions of black men thirsting after these white women. They make up 90% of their social media subscribers, and while these already privileged white women make bank, their own black women struggle

Nevertheless, I also believe that it's a two way street. Black women need to stop relaxing their hair and wearing weaves. They must learn to love their own God-given beauty and reject the false notion that white features are the universal standard of beauty

Last edited:
Yeah lack of melanin you get from living in newyork can do that, that’s just weather difference you probably wouldn’t understand though living in the desserts of Australia, no diaspora is using lighting creme unless there a fob(who wouldn’t be mad at blackfishing anyways), like I said light skin is out of style this ain’t 2012 lol

@Tukraq

There are and had been black people in New York for centuries and long before Iman settled there and none has changed their colour like her due to the lack of melanin. Going by your argument, all the African Americans born and bred in New York should look like the Italians or the Irish. How preposterous!! Maybe you’ve never been to a mixed Somali wedding, all the darkies that you knew become whiter than Dua Lipa and you need to be reintroduced to them.

Apollo

VIP
9bXL.gif

These girls are lucky they aren't back home in Poland, that's all I can say.

:lol: Poles in Western Europe lean to the left and are relatively liberal while those who stay in Poland tend to be more traditionalist and conservative socially.

Tukraq

VIP
@Tukraq

There are and had been black people in New York for centuries and long before Iman and none changed their colour like her due to lack of melanin. Maybe you’ve never been to a mixed Somali wedding, all the darkies that you knew become whiter than Dua Lipa and need to be reintroduced to them.
Those black people in new York have changed skin color wise greatly, they didn’t come off the slave ships this tone
upload_2019-12-1_12-32-5.jpeg

upload_2019-12-1_12-32-34.jpeg

Send them back to the equator and they go back several shades darker in months, as for weddings I think maybe there’s a cultural difference in Australia tbh don’t know how it is there, but since your weather is so hot(damn near dessert), you wouldn’t understand these changes

Trending