Bizarre 100-year cover-up of ‘penguin prostitution’ in Antarctica revealed by book

General Asad

And What Is Not There Is Always More Than There.
A CENTURY-LONG cover up of the "depraved" sex acts of penguins has been uncovered in a new book.

British scientist Dr George Murray Levick observed frisky Antarctic penguins engaging in gang rapes and even "prostitution" during the early 20th Century.

Incidents of penguin prostitution were observed by a British scientist in the early 20th CenturyCredit: Getty - Contributor

He wrote a manuscript following months of research while accompanying doomed explorer Robert Scott on his famous 1910-1913 expedition to the South Pole.

Dr Levick's subsequent cover up of his discoveries is the subject of the new book 'A Polar Affair'.

It describes how Dr Levick deemed his research too inappropriate to ever be published.

Among other sexual behaviours of "astonishing depravity", Dr Levick noted that "promiscuity" and "infidelity" was rife among the colony of Adélie penguins he studied.

Dr Levick recorded instances of physical and sexual violence against chicks by adult penguinsCredit: AFP or licensors

But that was far from the worst of it.

Rape, gang rape and the sexual and physical abuse of chicks by adults were all recorded by the Nottingham-born scientist.

Necrophilia was also commonplace, with offenders often mating with birds who had died the previous year.

Some penguins even engaged in "prostitution", with males using stones to pimp out females.

It may sound a bit far-fetched, but the behaviour was confirmed by scientists in a separate study of Adélie penguins in 1998.

Some prostituted penguins have even been shown to trick males into thinking they would have sex by performing an elaborate courtship ritual, then run away with their stones.

Dr Levick blamed the penguins' horrifying behaviour on "hooligan males".

He was so shocked that he wrote down his observations in Greek so only educated gentlemen could understand it.

It was deemed too shocking for the general public and only circulated among a small group of experts.

Scientists had to wait another 50 years before the remarkable sexual antics of the Adélie were revealed.

Same-sex pairing among animals

Gay penguins of either sex are nothing new, and are found both in the wild and in captivity.

For example, most of the penguins housed at Dingle Oceanworld Aquarium in Ireland are gay.

Same-sex penguins from London Zoo were at this year's Pride event in the capital.

Research shows that about 1,500 animal species are known to practice same-sex coupling, from insects to mammals.

They include monkeys, black swans, lizards, vultures, elephants, bats, lions, seep and dolphins.

The work was buried so well, in fact, that it resurfaced when it was unearthed at the Natural History Museum in 2012.

A Polar Affair was written by Lloyd Spencer Davis, aka the "Professor Penguin", who's regarded as a world authority on penguins.

The award-winning film-maker and author is director of the Centre for Science Communication at Otago University in New Zealand.

Davis had thought he was the first to record gay relationships among Antarctic penguins in 1996, until he read Dr Levick's paper.

It turns out same-sex romps were rampant among the Adélie penguins studied by Dr Levick 80 years earlier, meaning Davis had been beaten to the punch.

A Polar Affair is available now on Amazon.

Bizarre 100-year cover-up of 'penguin prostitution' in Antarctica revealed by book

You presented one more evidence that “God” himself sanctioned this so called ‘sexual deviant behaviour’ and created animals who practice it, why would he?

@Omar del Sur

Did you know Allah created Jeffrey Dahmer? Just because a penguin does something, doesn't mean Allah approves of it.

That being said, I don't really care what penguins do. We're higher in status than the animals and I know the Quran is for humans and jinn but I doubt animals study the Quran. The whole idea that animals are some sort of ideal seems more akin to Rousseau's "noble savage" concept and conception of nature than Islam.

Did you know Allah created Jeffrey Dahmer? Just because a penguin does something, doesn't mean Allah approves of it.

That being said, I don't really care what penguins do. We're higher in status than the animals and I know the Quran is for humans and jinn but I doubt animals study the Quran. The whole idea that animals are some sort of ideal seems more akin to Rousseau's "noble savage" concept and conception of nature than Islam.

@Omar del Sur

This so called "sexual deviancy" in animals isn't isolated only to penguins, but many other animals practice different notions of it. If the big man cared about some sort of proper behaviours, why did he create such animals? What is the purpose?

Look, I don't care about debating with you. I get it. You're an atheist liberal. I already said I don't care what penguins do. Islam is based on Quran and Sunnah, not whatever it is penguins are up to.

@Omar del Sur

If one hates an idea or an act, then you would expect one to maintain a stance on it. For example, if a father hates his daughters wearing skimpy and revealing clothes, it is incumbent on him to show them leadership and become a role model on the issue for them. But what if he collects magazines that display women wearing skimpy clothes? You know where I'm going with this.....If the boss of all bosses created such animals, maybe there is no sin in such deeds and was misinterpreted or other faiths that accept such people got it right.

@Omar del Sur

If one hates an idea or an act, then you would expect one to maintain a stance on it. For example, if a father hates his daughters wearing skimpy and revealing clothes, it is incumbent on him to show them leadership and become a role model on the issue for them. But what if he collects magazines that display women wearing skimpy clothes? You know where I'm going with this.....If the boss of all bosses created such animals, maybe there is no sin in such deeds and was misinterpreted or other faiths that accept such people got it right.

Animals also practice incest on occasion in the wild - something that is genetically detrimental. The article states penguins were observed engaging in gang rape and necrophilia as well, again activities that are potentially harmful to the animal

That all points to pathology rather than a spectrum of normal behaviour

Further, many of these "same-sex" animal observations are forced on the animals by humans - read about the famous "gay" penguin couple in the Metro Toronto Zoo that ended up fighting over a female penguin introduced to their enclosure - death threats were being sent to the female penguin for ruining the "relationship"

Lastly, the article leaves our how both Levick and Davis were homosexuals themselves - Levick was called "Mother" by the men of his crew on their expeditions to Antarctica

Last edited:
@Omar del Sur

Sxb, I was wondering the differences between your advocacy for marital rape and these "sexually deviant animals". Did you read the rape part about the penguins?

basically every post of yours in a nutshell:

afiCCzfzocrWFsoZXVUcoVks57fOBWubxLTCUK_ACgY.png

it's repetitive, it's boring, I get it already

@astorecalledkmart

These are two male lions in the wild. Many more do practice same sex, that is not the point. The point is if one abhors such acts and you are responsible to create such creatures, why create them with such "despicable" behaviours?

Sexual behaviour that is not conducive to survival in the animal kingdom is pathological - it is no different than asking why cattle get mad cow disease, or why the penguins in the article engaged in necrophilia or gang rape. People need to stop attributing anthropomorphic fallacies to animals.

On a philosophical level, what you're really asking is why does God create bad things (or things that some people at least construe as bad). My unsatisfying answer for you is that God has a plan that extends beyond this world and this life. Why does suffering exist? Why do babies die? People have been asking these questions for centuries. I believe this life is a test with reward and relief to follow in the Hereafter. If there was no suffering or evil, there would be no test, and thus, no reason for us being here in the first place

@astorecalledkmart

I didn’t ask you why god created ‘bad things or suffering exists”, my question is why did he enable animals to engage in such behaviours that seems to be “deviant”, to him, after all, he is all powerful and could guide them to the “natural order” of sexuality between males and females? Creating children for only to make them suffer is not the discussion at hand here. Given that “god” created such “sexual behaviours” in animals, is it possible that the traditional ancient religions that accepted such sexual behaviours got it right about the notion of deity than those who object to it on his behalf?

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP

The gaalo always use penguin behavior to justify homosexual relations so they covered this up because it would shut the case on the homosexual agenda. But now it’s not a problem cause it’s widely accepted as normal. The penguin is merely showing similar characteristics of human behavior even if it is depraved it must be a natural occurrence.

Muji

VIP
Sexual behaviour that is not conducive to survival in the animal kingdom is pathological - it is no different than asking why cattle get mad cow disease, or why the penguins in the article engaged in necrophilia or gang rape. People need to stop attributing anthropomorphic fallacies to animals.

On a philosophical level, what you're really asking is why does God create bad things (or things that some people at least construe as bad). My unsatisfying answer for you is that God has a plan that extends beyond this world and this life. Why does suffering exist? Why do babies die? People have been asking these questions for centuries. I believe this life is a test with reward and relief to follow in the Hereafter. If there was no suffering or evil, there would be no test, and thus, no reason for us being here in the first place

You’re so clever! :)

Trending