Azania

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i was at this museum/heratige site yesterday and came across this
Snapchat-292301112.jpg

(The purple lines show the greek/roman travel routes. )
It states a land called Azania in southeastern africa. Some say Azania was inhabited by several cushitic speaking groups and were eventually wiped out by the bantu expansion. Later on it became known as the land of Zanj by the arabs.

Ive heard a few somalis say that azania was an ogaden kingdom and was therefore somali.
As we know, modern day somalis have adopted the AA tendency of claiming everything under the sun so I take this with a grain of salt.

What are your thoughts on this? Was azania (or southeastern africa in general) inhabited by us? Or related cushite speakers?

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
So i was at this museum/heratige site yesterday and came across thisView attachment 45098
(The purple lines show the greek/roman travel routes. )
It states a land called Azania in southeastern africa. Some say Azania was inhabited by several cushitic speaking groups and were eventually wiped out by the bantu expansion. Later on it became known as the land of Zanj by the arabs.

Ive heard a few somalis say that azania was an ogaden kingdom and was therefore somali.
As we know, modern day somalis have adopted the AA tendency of claiming everything under the sun so I take this with a grain of salt.

What are your thoughts on this? Was azania (or southeastern africa in general) inhabited by us? Or related cushite speakers?

Azania was located in southeast Africa, not Somalia. They use to rule the coast between Kenya and Tanzania. They were southern Cushitic people and the predominent group in Southeast Africa. It's believed the Swahilis got most of their culture from the Azanians who once use to rule and live in their coast and they even lived in the interior and were a powerful tribe.

"The Azanians land stretched from the Southeast African coast extending from Kenya, to perhaps as far south as Tanzania. They are Southern Cushitic people who were native to Southeast Africa until the wave of Bantu expansion."

Source: Richard Pankhurst, An Introduction to the Economic History of Ethiopia, (Lalibela House: 1961), page.21

Here is another interesting source. Ancient Somalia was called Barbara and they had their own civilization known as the Somali city-states while their southern neighbours were Azanians and their northern neighbours were the Axumites (Ethiopians). Read the source below.

"The Somali peninsula was inhabited by (Barbara people) as referred to by ancient Greek philosophers. These inhabitants were the ancestors of today's Somali people who used to border the Axumites in the north and border the Azanians in the south."

Source: Huntingford, George Wynn Brereton (1980). Ashgate Publishing, Ltd. page. 59, 83 & 146.

I will show you a clear authentic ancient map showing you that the Azania was located in southeast Africa, not Somalia. Somalia was known as Barbara region (Somali city-states) and further up were the Axum Empire (Ethiopians).

1024px-Periplous_of_the_Erythraean_Sea.svg.png

Azania was located in southeast Africa, not Somalia. They use to rule the coast between Kenya and Tanzania. They were southern Cushitic people and the predominent group in Southeast Africa. It's believed the Swahilis got most of their culture from the Azanians who once use to rule and live in their coast and they even lived in the interior and were a powerful tribe.

"The Azanians land stretched from the Southeast African coast extending from Kenya, to perhaps as far south as Tanzania. They are Southern Cushitic people who were native to Southeast Africa until the wave of Bantu expansion."

Source: Richard Pankhurst, An Introduction to the Economic History of Ethiopia, (Lalibela House: 1961), page.21

Here is another interesting source. Ancient Somalia was called Barbara and they had their own civilization known as the Somali city-states while their southern neighbours were Azanians and their northern neighbours were the Axumites (Ethiopians). Read the source below.

"The two areas were inhabited by the Eastern Barbaroi or Baribah (Berbers) as referred to by ancient Greek philosophers. These inhabitants were the ancestors of today's Somali people who used to border the Axumites in the north and border the Azanians in the south."

Source: Huntingford, George Wynn Brereton (1980). Ashgate Publishing, Ltd. page. 59, 83 & 146.

I will show you a clear authentic ancient map showing you that the Azania was located in sotuheast Africa, not Somalia. Somalia was known as Barbara region (Somali city-states) and further up were the Axum Empire (Ethiopians).

yes but were those people related to modern day somalis :francis: is my question.

Also I underestimated you. You may get triggered by my trolling comments a bit too much but at least your not a doqon too. :ehh:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
yes but were those people related to modern day somalis :francis: is my question.

Also I underestimated you. You may get triggered by my trolling comments a bit too much but at least your not a doqon too. :ehh:

Loool is fine, I won't fall for your crap next time.

Anyways, our ancestors were Barbara people who had their own rich culture and civilization. They were basically the same as us today and established a great number of independent city states ruled by different ancient Somali tribes according to ancient Romans and Persians.

Here is the list of ancient Somali city-states that traded different things around the world.

• Botiala – In ancient times, the port city of Botiala transported goods such as aromatic woods, gum and incense to Indian, Persian and Arab merchants
  • Bulhar – Old town in the northwestern Awdal province. It is likely the commercial Port of Isis of antiquity, which was a center for myrrh commerce.
  • Cape Guardafui – Known in ancient times as the Cape of Spices, it was an important place for the ancient cinnamon and Indian spice trade.
  • Damo – Ancient port town in northern Somalia. It likely corresponded with the Periplus "Market and Cape of Spices". Holds many historical artifacts and structures, including ancient coins, Roman pottery, drystone buildings, cairns, mosques, walled enclosures, standing stones and platform monuments.
  • Essina – Ancient emporium possibly located between the southern ports of Barawa and Merca, based on Ptolemy's work.
  • Gondal – Ancient town in southern Somalia. It is considered a predecessor of the port city Kismayo.
  • Malao – Ancient port city known for its commerce in frankincense and myrrh in exchange for cloaks, copper and gold from Arsinoe and India.
  • Mosylon – The most important ancient port city of the Somali Peninsula, it handled a considerable amount of the Indian Ocean trade through its large ships and extensive harbor.
  • Mundus – Ancient port engaged in the fragrant gum and cinnamon trade with the Hellenic world.
  • Opone – In ancient times, the port city of Opone traded with merchants from Phoenicia, Egypt, Greece, Persia and the Roman Empire, and connected with traders from as far afield as Indonesia and Malaysia, exchanging spices, silks and other goods.
  • Sarapion – Ancient port city in Somalia. It is the possible predecessor of Mogadishu.
  • Sesea – Ancient city-state in northern Somalia.
  • Tabae – Ancient port where sailors on their way to India could take refuge from the storms of the Indian Ocean.Tabae – Ancient port where sailors on their way to India could take refuge from the storms of the Indian Ocean.
This is what the ancient Chinese said about Somali city-states.:banderas:

"In ancient times Somalia was known to the Chinese as the "country of Pi-pa-lo", which had four departmental cities each trying to gain the supremacy over the other. It had twenty thousand troops between them, who wore cuirasses, a protective body armor."

Source: Eastern African History By Robert O. Collins Page 53.

So each city-state had their own government and army and basically had armoured 20 thousand each trying to gain supramacy from one another which makes sense why Somalis are incredible in warfare because of our experience in the field for thousands of years.

Our ancestors were literally trading around the world and making good money. :damedamn:

"The city states of Mossylon, Malao, Mundus and Tabae in Somalia engaged in a lucrative trade network connecting Somali merchants with Phoenicia, Ptolemic Egypt, Greece, Parthian Persia, Saba, Nabataea and the Roman Empire. Somali sailors used the ancient Somali maritime vessel known as the beden to transport their cargo."

It said Beden ship which was an ancient Somali trading boat that originated from Somalia.

Somali_Frau_Mauro_ship.JPG

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beden

As for the Azanians, they were our Cushitic cousins but got wiped out by the Bantus since southern Cushitic people didn't develop Iron and that's how they got wiped out. I suggest you study the Bantu expansion but thankfully we Somalis had already developed Iron too which is why Bantus were enslaved, dominated and bullied by Somalis since 10th century. :dead:

Loool is fine, I won't fall for your crap next time.

Anyways, our ancestors were Barbara people who had their own rich culture and civilization. They were basically the same as us today and established a great number of independent city states ruled by different ancient Somali tribes according to ancient Romans and Persians.

Here is the list of ancient Somali city-states that traded different things around the world.

• Botiala – In ancient times, the port city of Botiala transported goods such as aromatic woods, gum and incense to Indian, Persian and Arab merchants
  • Bulhar – Old town in the northwestern Awdal province. It is likely the commercial Port of Isis of antiquity, which was a center for myrrh commerce.
  • Cape Guardafui – Known in ancient times as the Cape of Spices, it was an important place for the ancient cinnamon and Indian spice trade.
  • Damo – Ancient port town in northern Somalia. It likely corresponded with the Periplus "Market and Cape of Spices". Holds many historical artifacts and structures, including ancient coins, Roman pottery, drystone buildings, cairns, mosques, walled enclosures, standing stones and platform monuments.
  • Essina – Ancient emporium possibly located between the southern ports of Barawa and Merca, based on Ptolemy's work.
  • Gondal – Ancient town in southern Somalia. It is considered a predecessor of the port city Kismayo.
  • Malao – Ancient port city known for its commerce in frankincense and myrrh in exchange for cloaks, copper and gold from Arsinoe and India.
  • Mosylon – The most important ancient port city of the Somali Peninsula, it handled a considerable amount of the Indian Ocean trade through its large ships and extensive harbor.
  • Mundus – Ancient port engaged in the fragrant gum and cinnamon trade with the Hellenic world.
  • Opone – In ancient times, the port city of Opone traded with merchants from Phoenicia, Egypt, Greece, Persia and the Roman Empire, and connected with traders from as far afield as Indonesia and Malaysia, exchanging spices, silks and other goods.
  • Sarapion – Ancient port city in Somalia. It is the possible predecessor of Mogadishu.
  • Sesea – Ancient city-state in northern Somalia.
  • Tabae – Ancient port where sailors on their way to India could take refuge from the storms of the Indian Ocean.Tabae – Ancient port where sailors on their way to India could take refuge from the storms of the Indian Ocean.
This is what the ancient Chinese said about Somali city-states.:banderas:

"In ancient times Somalia was known to the Chinese as the "country of Pi-pa-lo", which had four departmental cities each trying to gain the supremacy over the other. It had twenty thousand troops between them, who wore cuirasses, a protective body armor."

So each city-state had their own government and army and basically had armoured 20 thousand each trying to gain supramacy from one another which makes sense why Somalis are incredible in warfare because of our experience in the field for thousands of years.

Our ancestors were literally trading around the world and making good money. :damedamn:

"The city states of Mossylon, Malao, Mundus and Tabae in Somalia engaged in a lucrative trade network connecting Somali merchants with Phoenicia, Ptolemic Egypt, Greece, Parthian Persia, Saba, Nabataea and the Roman Empire. Somali sailors used the ancient Somali maritime vessel known as the beden to transport their cargo."

It said Beden ship which was an ancient Somali trading boat that originated from Somalia.

Somali_Frau_Mauro_ship.JPG

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beden

As for the Azanians, they were our Cushitic cousins but got wiped out by the Bantus since southern Cushitic people didn't develop Iron and that's how they got wiped out. I suggest you study the Bantu expansion but thankfully we Somalis had already developed Iron too which is why Bantus were enslaved, dominated and bullied by Somalis since 10th century. :dead:

Ive heard conflicting theories about the bantus in somalia. Some saying that the majority of somali bantus were not brought as slaves but were actually inhabiting the southern region. They say those brought to us via slavery were a minority. And that somalis had begun to move southward and claim those territories over time. ( they call the slave story a somali propaganda). Others stick with the belief that all were brought as a result of slavery. Thoughts?

Crap kullaha abahay wass i spit 'factz':chrisfreshhah:
lmaooooo trust me you are gonna fall for them waraya, ik how to push the right buttons :trumpsmirk:

anyways I shall add this onto my list of things to research.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Ive heard conflicting theories about the bantus in somalia. Some saying that the majority of somali bantus were not brought as slaves but were actually inhabiting the southern region. They say those brought to us via slavery were a minority. And that somalis had begun to move southward and claim those territories over time. ( they call the slave story a somali propaganda). Others stick with the belief that all were brought as a result of slavery. Thoughts?

Crap kullaha abahay wass i spit 'factz':chrisfreshhah:
lmaooooo trust me you are gonna fall for them waraya, ik how to push the right buttons :trumpsmirk:

anyways I shall add this onto my list of things to research.

Nah abaayo, Bantu expansion did not pass Tana river in Kenya, let alone southern Somalia that Somalis have been inhabiting since the 1st century after they expelled other Cushitic groups. Read the source from below.

tG44zUjzQaKHZcinm3s34g.png

Somalis in the 1st century migrated to southern Somalia and established farmlands in Jubba and Shebella valleys as well as establishing flourishing ports in the southern coast of Somalia. They migrated from the north which is their ancestoral homeland due to the heavy drought.

The Bantus living in southern Somalia are ex-slave decedents collected by Somali slave traders from Geledi Sultanate and Hiraab Imamate which were successor states of the Ajuran Empire and they collected the Bantus from southeast Africa to work on the plantation and that's a historical fact.

NotAjnabi

Somalilander
Azanians were our peaceful cushitic cousins that got overwhelmed by the bantu expansion, thank your ancestors for being xenophobic and warlike.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Azanians most likely belonged to the ancestors of the Iraqw . There was an extension of another Cushitic civilisation further north , the Madanleh, an East Cushitic Somalioid group. I wouldn’t be surprised if this group founded ancient Muqdisho .

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/the-tall-people-of-ancient-azania.36218/page-2

Nah, the Azanians literally got wiped out by the Bantus just like the Scythians from central Asia that got wiped out by Turks from East Asia and Slavs from eastern Europe. The present-day Swahili coast and its ports was founded and ruled by the Azanians. Southern Somalia and Northern Somalia was part of Barbara region (Somali city-states). Southeast Africa was called Azania and you can see that from the authentic ancient map from below.

Nah, the Azanians literally got wiped out by the Bantus just like the Scythians from central Asia that got wiped out by Turks from East Asia and Slavs from eastern Europe. The present-day Swahili coast and its ports was founded and ruled by the Azanians. Southern Somalia and Northern Somalia was part of Barbara region (Somali city-states). Southeast Africa was called Azania and you can see that from the authentic ancient map from below.

Madanleh were Somalis though . Read my thread .

You STILL haven't figured out how to read that map you love so much! Expand it and get out your magnifying glass. It clearly says the Farside Ports belonged to the Indo-Scythian kingdom of Nambanus and that Serapion belonged to Charibael of Himyar. You need to get over this "Somali city states" business and find out who the Shirazis were.

http://www.wernerhermans.com/downloads/Ancient Arab settlements of the Swahili Coast.pdf

https://archnet.org/system/publications/contents/3655/original/DPC0257.pdf?1384775881

8a28f286-ab84-4932-ab18-28a2948ae877.png

51f6ec3e-7f52-4be1-ace5-a39fbe29fc30.png

You STILL haven't figured out how to read that map you love so much! Expand it and get out your magnifying glass. It clearly says the Farside Ports belonged to the Indo-Scythian kingdom of Nambanus and that Serapion belonged to Charibael of Himyar. You need to get over this "Somali city states" business and find out who the Shirazis were.

http://www.wernerhermans.com/downloads/Ancient Arab settlements of the Swahili Coast.pdf

https://archnet.org/system/publications/contents/3655/original/DPC0257.pdf?1384775881

Factz does not read his sources he just copy pastes.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

Can you stop your historical revisionist and quit trolling on the Somali history section?

Himyar had no colonies nor did Indo-Scythian. They only traded with the Barbara region and nothing else. Yes, they were Somali city-states and Somali ancestors trading around the world.

The ancient Chinese even stated they were independent city-state kingdoms that fought each other over supramacy and you're telling me they were controlled by foreigners? You're clearly a simpleton troll sir.

Shirazis live on the Swahili coast and they are recent people there during the 9th and 10th century. They have nothing to do with the Somali coast you old fool.

Learn what the Barbara region were and it was an ancient and medieval term for the Somalis, by the way and no scholar denies that they were proto-Somalis that had city-states and traded around the world. They were wealthy and powerful, ruled by no foreigners as they enjoyed advantages compared to other nations. Read below.

nZlmrSc_QKCgSoJ_Z_E64A.png

2wJtj0ElT6eJObAZzp2orw.png

NGl-SA3OTzCPEyw7pfJsSA.png

Also, the map I posted says these ports export gold and spices, not mentioning anything about colonies you buffoon. Check the map properly again. :drakewtf::snoop:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending