YFull Discussion Thread

At the time of Futuh Al Habash Habar Magadi Sameroon were under Garaadka Marehan Hirabu. Thats why Sameroon are reer e Daud Gadhasid meaning the Sade people. We Marehan were the Amir's of Harar.

Last edited:

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Aden Madoobe history, according to what I have heard, is that they split from their Habar Jeclo cousins after a clan war and settled next to the Dhulbahante.

Some Ciise Muuse are T but I would be lying if I said I know what the percentage of T is among them on 23andme.

I don't think we are samaroon nope. We are straight habar jeclo

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If I'm not mistaken, Habar awal have T1a and E-v32 , and the same with Habar jeclo, they have T1a and E-v32
is there any E-v32 Garxajis you guys know of ?

E-V32 is found in all three clans but is only a majority among the Habar Awal. The Garxajis and Habar Jeclo are mainly T as things stand.

I think we need to drop Darod, Isaaq, Hawiye. I don't think these three clans are real. Clear confederations. At first Darod and Hawiye looked real, but upon further investigations it is now also looking like a confederacy.

Dir may be real though or at least 'the most' out of the major tribes.

The is no hard evidence to support any of the above as there is a dearth of Somali YFull results. For example, if more Hawiye YFull results become available demonstrating that a core number of their subclans are the result of a founder effect within the two past millennium or so their status might change. I doubt their clan structure will necessarily be reflected in DNA test results.

Only Harti have mainly been doing the YFull test. Wait until more representative Yfull samples become available before judgement is passed on the Daarood clan.

As for the Isaaq, they cannot be compared to the above clans as they have a younger status and are not at the same lineage level in terms of ancestry. Bare in mind that clans such as Habar Yonis are assumed to be the descendants of a Geri Kombe mother so it illogical to pit them against Hawiye or Daarood etc. Moreover, if the majority of them are T as it is assumed, then this would indicate that most Isaaqs are the result of a founder effect formed within the past millennium or so.

Lastly, it is already becoming apparent that DNA does not compliment the Dir clan tree despite many of us belonging to a lineage group founded within the past two thousand years.

Apollo

VIP
@anonimo

I have seen some weird Marehan STRs. We shall see what @Mujahid Nur Marehan gets, but I am not so confident it will be as expected. Ogadens are also in multiple different clusters (not full Y, but STR-wise). Darod is pretty much messed up and not cohering to the genealogical timeline.

Data on Hawiye is lacking, but given that how messed up Darod is I am expecting similar oddities for them.

@anonimo

I have seen some weird Marehan STRs. We shall see what @Mujahid Nur Marehan gets, but I am not so confident it will be as expected. Ogadens are also in multiple different clusters (not full Y, but STR-wise). Darod is pretty much messed up and not cohering to the genealogical timeline.

Data on Hawiye is lacking, but given that how messed up Darod is I am expecting similar oddities for them.

It might be messed up but does that make Dir, for example, any more legit because the new Surre sample looks like he will be closer to the Isaaq and Samaron samples than he is to me? Dir are just lucky, so far, that a sizeable chunk of us descend from a distinct, possibly Middle Eastern, lineage that was formed within the past two millenniums. That is the only thing that makes us stand out from the rest.

Surre are not a clan that were in a position to adopt Sheegaads because of our dispersed status. Hence, IMO, this demonstrates how old clan identities that are closer to the clan 'patriarch' such as Surre will be confederacies of some sort. In my subclan's case, I am relatively confident that my Cabdalla branch will be a genetic clan family as it is not an old lineage such as Surre as evinced by the Muslim names in our Abtirsi. My next mission is to acquire a couple more Cabdalla Yfull samples.

@anonimo

Why have the Marehan and Sheekhaal been put in same group when Marehan and Hawiye STR'S match? Also are you saying your predicting Marehan are very far from the rest of Somali samples?

Apollo

VIP
Why have the Marehan and Sheekhaal been put in same group when Marehan and Hawiye STR'S match? Also are you saying your predicting Marehan are very far from the rest of Somali samples?

I'm not sure if that guy will even be the same as you. Marehan is an old clan. Even Marehan can have like 3 different old E-Y18629 subclades.