Athletes that returned to their sport after a major injury, come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

syntax

Any athletes here ever try to go back to their sport and compete at a high level again after a major injury? How were you able to overcome that mental hurdle ?

I'm asking because I'm supposed to start striking classes again this Sunday after being cleared by my doctor last month ,. and for the first time in my life I'm really nervous and scared. I suffered a really bad grade 3b concussion from a roundhouse kick KO in-house a kickboxing tourney 3 years ago that took me out of the sport since. Haven't touched the mats since, besides sparring with my cousin now and then. Idk how I'll overcome that huge mental block in my head. I'm scared every punch or kick will send me back to another concussion :(

Bro you gotta get hit again, until then you'll be shook it's a psychological thing.

The only thing I've come back from is a severe break in my ankle playin ball so not much experience, especially something like a concussion.

I was scared to drive to the rim for a while tho lol

Tramo

Nine kitaabs on a bookshelf
Bro you gotta get hit again, until then you'll be shook it's a psychological thing.

The only thing I've come back from is a severe break in my ankle playin ball so not much experience, especially something like a concussion.

I was scared to drive to the rim for a while tho lol

yeah really bad knee or ankle injuries f*ck you up mentally. back in highschool when i came back from an injury playing for the ball team i would be subconcsiously putting more weight on my uninjured leg cuz i was scared of taxing my newly recovered leg. really hampers performance too, so it sucks

you have to get over the psychological barrier, and it's not easy especially if you're not professional cuz an injury just ain't worth it lol. idk if it's the same for head injuries tho, it's prolly worse cuz that is scarier and probably an even tougher mental barrier to overcome :francis:

S

syntax

Lol bro nothing is worse than a broken ankle. I feelu guys. Happened to me too before. I was playing a quick 1on1 with my.nigga before I caught the GO bus back home. Sprained my ankle but it was a light one so I was like caadi. Soon as I came home my niggas were like wara come run ball so I was like aight I'll jus be a Matt bonner this game and camp on the 3pt line and not do much. The instant I came on the court and tried to play defense BAM. My ankle gave away and I ended up shattering every ligament and my ankle bone.

Only difference is you guys play ball for fun. I take kickboxing very seriously. Every morning after work I run to keep my cardio up and I do a lot of flexibility and strength training. So there's a lot on the line for me. I jus need to stop being a pussy

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Never really had an injury while playing sports. I played soccer for youth teams and high schoo never had injuries alhamdulilah.

The only injury I've had was this one time back in high school. I always used to hoop with the homies at lunch or sometimes play soccer. My dumb ass decided to go with this homies who mostly played football and I joined them and these other knuckle heads. We werre playing tackle football :snoop: so I decide to do my thing you know run my routes and catch some balls. This one time I get a pass thrown to me and I'm like ok catch this and dip for a TD. But faith had other plans. This big ass nigga on the football team was waiting for me and I didn't even see him till he rocked my skinny ass hella cold.:mjcry: I broke my colorbone and I haven't played football since. Walahi shit hurt like a  :mjsuitcry:

Btw @syntax Have you watched DLO lately?

S

syntax

Holy f*ck man...I'd be Hella pissed if some nigga broke my collarbone in a pickup football game. Did you recover fully at least ? That's sum serious shit breh

Yeah ur boy is finally playing decent. His 3 looking money out there. But like we both agreed on before, we'll never be able to see his true play making potential until you guys get niggas who can knock down shots.

I really like Larry Lance Jr. Dude was a solid pick and seems like he's going to be a very serviceable rotational player in the league for a long time. Kind of reminds me of the Kendrick Perkins/Nick Collison type of player, come in play good D and just be a overall good glue guy that hustles on every possession. His dunk last night was too Haram. He's a great kid too, read his Players Tribune entry if you already haven't.

Seriously tho let's forget these scrubs and admire how Kobe is back again:damn:Seems like he is trusting his rookies more and his shot selection is 1000x better. It looks like he changed his form , especially his release timing. Dude has like 19ppg ish on almost 50% shooting from the field past 5 games :damn: also love how he's deferring to Russell a lot more on possessions.

Yeah sports is almost as much about confidence as it is about actual skill. And the only way to improve on your confidence is by participating so start throwing hands. Maybe wear a Peter Cech helmet until you've overcome the mental block

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Yea it's fuked up Alhamdulilah I recovered.

Yea DLo is playing much better. I think being benched kinds woke him up. I don't how some people thought Mudiay is better than that DLO lol DLO is better than him in every catergory. Mudiay might be more athletic but that's the only advantage he has over DLO. Trust me kid is going to fly next season. If we pick up good FA's some how get lucky and get the #1 pick and draft Simmons or Ingram I think we will be a bit more better. Kobe gave the kid a lot more confidence too bro. He trusted him and the rest in the overtime lost to the T-Wolves.

Vino is killing the last 5 games. Bruh did you see the shots he was hitting against the Greek Freak :wow::wow1: He's facilitating like maxa ka galay. I like when he play's like this and doesn't force it. I hope he keeps it up I want him to go out good.

I remember all of us fans laughing and wondering who the fuk Nance was when we drafted him lmao now look at him dunking on niggaz and shit. Yea he will be a good role player for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending