HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
Before I update I want to thank you guys so so much for helping me during such a stressful time. Words cannot describe how much I gratitude I felt for each and every commenter.
So my update is mostly shitty but has some upside to it so bear with me. The good news: I didn't get cut and it's not in the plans, EVER. The aunt whom I am staying with is very anti-fgm as I had suspected due to her upbringing in America. She swore she would not let it happen to me.
So onto the bad news: my father made a rash decision that my siblings and I must stay in Somalia until we memorize the entire Quran and that we will be attending a school that only teaches Quran. As you can imagine I was heartbroken when he told me this. I cried for 2 days straight and then I realized I need a game plan. So I called one of my uncles in America who has been helping with school and applying to colleges to see if he could help me in any way. He was pissed and vowed he would stop it. He has spoken to my grandfather and the general consensus among the family is that I should finish my last year of high school and come back but my siblings should stay here. Part of me is dying inside because I don't want to leave my siblings in this country with no one to fend for or anything. Hell they don't even know the language here. Nonetheless I forgot to mention that my dad swears that this decision was made here and that he thinks he has Alzheimer's due to his horrible memory at 50 and his constant shakyness. I know he has been forgetful and shaky but I'm worried that the sickness is being used a manipulation trick. My father has always been one of the most hard headed people in my family so convincing him might prove to be a problem. My mom says her hands are tied and that she doesn't want to end her marriage over something she sees as not being that bad. I begged and I pleaded but she told me there is nothing she should do. Also I should mention the aunt who we would stay with is against this 100% because we had no choice but he used a manipulation tactic that scared her. He asked her if she's okay with his kids going to hell while hers go to heaven. My aunt knows that if she says "no I won't take care of them", the whole family will shame her and hate her for the rest of her life.
So here's what is the plan. The flight for us to leave Nairobi is on September 5th. My dad keeps stalling when he is going to buy the ticket out of Somalia to Nairobi and my aunt thinks it's because he wants to change his mind. My grandfather and uncles are going to make some sort of deal with him tomorrow. If I finish my last year of high school, and I can go to Somalia (AS AN EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD WITH HER OWN PASSPORT) and take a gap year from college. If he decides to rip up my passports when I come back, their will be a new embassy hopefully the following year and plus I highly doubt he would break his promise to his dad since he is oh so religious.
I'm having a horrible time coping with this new deal. On one hand I worked my ass off for the past 3 years and I'd be damned if I'd see it all go to waste. On the other hand, my poor siblings will resent me for the rest of my life and I will have to live with the guilt of whatever happens to them. These past couple days has been a whirlwind of emotions but I am determined to get out hopefully with my siblings.
I only have wifi for the next three days because we are in a hotel so when I go back to the house in the city we live in ill be off grid again but whatever suggestions I see before I leave I will try to implement. I will also try to update the results of the conference call with my dad.
Tl;dr: FGM is no longer a threat, but being forced to live here for 1-3 years is. Uncles and grandpa are arguing for me to leave my siblings here and finish high school and then comeback.
Edit for. Clarification: I am in Somalia right now
She bout to call the State Dept on her abo.