Ashkenaiz Jews vs. Yibir

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Now that I have revealed of the little trace of Ashkenazi Jew in my genetic background, I took upon myself to do a quick research about them. I used a trusted source: Wikipedia, :).

Ashkenazi Jews are known to have origins in the Levant, which Israel is smack dab in the middle of. But exactly who “European” Ashkenazi Jews are has long been debated. An analysis of the gene database shows that the original Ashkenazi Jews were about half European and half Middle Eastern.

Surprisingly like my paternal side, haplogroup T, which may have been a result of a bottleneck phenomenon in East Africa, so are the Ashkenazi Jews. They descended from 350 people according to a study.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/ashkenazi-jews-descend-from-350-people-study-finds/

Yibir:

Another theory is that Yibir were ancient Jews who in a strongly Muslim country became the low castes among Somalis.[19] Some Yibir state that they are descendants of Hebrews who arrived in the area long before the arrival of Somali nomads, and that the word "Yibir" means "Hebrew".[19][20]

Despite their putative Jewish origins, the overwhelming majority of the Yibir, like the Somali population in general, adhere to Islam and know practically nothing of Judaism. Their rumored Hebrew origins has been offered as an explanation for the Yibir occupying a subordinate position in Somali society.

I am still perplexed by how one of my great grandfathers met an Askenazi girl. I wish I was a fly on the bedroom wall to find out the true story about their love.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
Somali legend has it that there was a legendary king, Bucur Bacayr, who was Yibir in northern Somalia.

Does this mean you're eligible for Israeli citizenship, since it means one of your grandparents were Jewish as well ("Jewishness" is matrilineal) :cosbyhmm:

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Maybe your ancestor was a sea merchant going up and down the Red Sea, I hear that Cairo was popular place to trade, maybe that's where the deed happened
He must have been a good dad and husband to bring her back to the Horn. Because his children were all born in the Horn.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
He must have been a good dad and husband to bring her back to the Horn. Because his children were all born in the Horn.
I was actually going to mention that. can you find out any information on her, relatives through DNA or family stories?

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
I was actually going to mention that. can you find out any information on her, relatives through DNA or family stories?
I may do that at a future date. Right now there is something to the effect of Family Connector or something on 23& Me that show my 3rd to 7th cousins, all Somalis though.

Jodeci

The Realest of All Time
Now that I have revealed of the little trace of Ashkenazi Jew in my genetic background, I took upon myself to do a quick research about them. I used a trusted source: Wikipedia, :).

Ashkenazi Jews are known to have origins in the Levant, which Israel is smack dab in the middle of. But exactly who “European” Ashkenazi Jews are has long been debated. An analysis of the gene database shows that the original Ashkenazi Jews were about half European and half Middle Eastern.

Surprisingly like my paternal side, haplogroup T, which may have been a result of a bottleneck phenomenon in East Africa, so are the Ashkenazi Jews. They descended from 350 people according to a study.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/ashkenazi-jews-descend-from-350-people-study-finds/

Yibir:

Another theory is that Yibir were ancient Jews who in a strongly Muslim country became the low castes among Somalis.[19] Some Yibir state that they are descendants of Hebrews who arrived in the area long before the arrival of Somali nomads, and that the word "Yibir" means "Hebrew".[19][20]

Despite their putative Jewish origins, the overwhelming majority of the Yibir, like the Somali population in general, adhere to Islam and know practically nothing of Judaism. Their rumored Hebrew origins has been offered as an explanation for the Yibir occupying a subordinate position in Somali society.

I am still perplexed by how one of my great grandfathers met an Askenazi girl. I wish I was a fly on the bedroom wall to find out the true story about their love.
Ashkenazi Jews and East African jews have different strands of DNA though.

Merchant of Mogadishu

From Pella to Pattala, then back to Babylon
Maybe your ancestor was a sea merchant going up and down the Red Sea, I hear that Cairo was popular place to trade, maybe that's where the deed happened
This is the most plausible explanation, merchants came from all over the place, from Europe, Africa and Asia to trade.

Apollo

Staff Member
Haplogroup T in Somalis is not recently from the Middle East.. it's an ~8,000 yr old Cushitic lineage from Egypt.

Trending