As Somalis, How Do You Feel About Pan Africanism?

I know you are for Somalis first, but how do you feel about the continent as a whole and Pan-Africanism? I'm more of a Centrist Pan Africanist where Indo hate other ethnic groups, but I'd like to see the whole continent thrive.

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
I like africa and want africa to do well.

I am pro Somali then pro Muslims then pro-Cushites then pro-Africa.

Most Somalis don’t care about it, there’s nothing about being African that connects a Somali to someone from Senegal, it’s just a landmass, in fact northeast Africans have had more contact and cultural pollination from as far as China than they had from places like west and South Africa, in which there isn’t any proven contact throughout history until more recently.

Somalis and a lot of other Africans don’t need Afrocentrism because they don’t subject themselves to what westerners think of Africans (inferior, weak, no history etc) so as a people with a proud identity, the idea of adopting Afrocentrism is basically giving into a white mans view of their own identity and trying to fight it off.

it’s also problematic as it ironically keeps Africans of all types degraded due to the movement making all of Africa seem as if it consisted of one people with one culture and they were somehow all interconnected, this line of thinking leads to the stereotypes continuing and people not being educated on the continent as a whole, it also wipes out the identities of many ethnic groups and seeks to purify everything seen as non- Niger-Congo in terms of culture, language, religion, phenotype etc, so in many ways it naturally leads to a supremacist movement which is why you see alot of Afrocentrists on Twitter claiming Somalis were “forced into Islam” and that “Islam is foreign to Africa” as well as claiming things like “somalis are half breed arabs and invaders”.

Last edited:
I'm against it. As much as I want to support the movement, most of their followers are usually Afro-centric Christians who despise us and our religion.

I want Africa to succeed as a whole but pan africanism is a joke you don't see asians trying to come under one identity and when they tried on 2 occasions and technically it wasn't trying but rather a forced attempt by the Japanese on the first occasion to force Japanese supremacy under the guise of pan Asianism. China tried to do the exacts same thing on the second occasions and there hasn't been another attempt since because its ridiculous.

In Africa pan africanism only really serves and pushes Niger-congo/bantu folks. We already have groups like the zamint who are open about it being all about Niger-congo supremacy and don't suger coat it and hide under the guise of "pan africanism"

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
Pan Africanism is a lazy movement that doesn't take into consideration that Africa is the most diverse continent on the planet.

The African continent has a land area of 30.37 million sq km that can theoretically fit USA, China, India, Japan combined.

Africa has a population of 1.2 billion to put that in perspective if Africa was a country it would be the 3rd biggest country.

Africa has over 2000 languages that come from 5-6 family groups that break down into much more. Like Afro-Asiatic ➡️ Cushtic ➡️ Lowland East Cushtic➡️ Somali

Religons you can find all 4 major religions in Africa Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism.

None muslim bantu/west africans are mostly the ones who identify with afro centrism ideologies, as a Somali and Muslims we don't fit into this club.. But I wish them good luck, we welcome a stronger and more prosperous Africa.

Trending