Are you gonna give your kids Somali names?

Desert Flower

Staff Member
Names with a C (Ayn) or X will get horribly butchered in the West.
Fine. There’s other names that are Somali that are easy to pronounce like Haboon, Warsame, Abyan etc. But like @Gambar mentioned, it’s good to preserve the Somali culture, esp more so that we’re now living in the west and our children will be more removed from the Somali culture.

I was thinking of this. Would you name your daughter or son a Somali name? I think I will.

I love the name Ilwaad for a girl. I also like Beydan, Ugbaad and Aragsan, though I’d be concerned about how the last two will be pronounced by non Somalis.

For boys though, I think I’d stick to Prophets names (I love the name Suleiman but it’s becoming popular).

What say you?
Yes. We all have very Somali names. And I love that. I want to do the same thing.

I was thinking of this. Would you name your daughter or son a Somali name? I think I will.

I love the name Ilwaad for a girl. I also like Beydan, Ugbaad and Aragsan, though I’d be concerned about how the last two will be pronounced by non Somalis.

For boys though, I think I’d stick to Prophets names (I love the name Suleiman but it’s becoming popular).

What say you?
Yes and every Somali, who speaks Somali should give their children Somali names.

I mean Somali names are beautiful, if you give your children Somali names, you are preserving the Somali identity which is good on your part. But also Arabic names carry Ajar because deen. So be happy Somalis have islamic names
You'll are brainwashed. Arabic names carry no ajr. Those so called Islamic names existed before Islam, like Hamza, Khalid, Omar, Osama, Osman.
Even Mohammed existed before Islam, but it was a rare name, only few were named
Mohammed, until Nabi Mohammed PBUH.

You'll are brainwashed. Arabic names carry no ajr. Those so called Islamic names existed before Islam, like Hamza, Khalid, Omar, Osama, Osman.
Even Mohammed existed before Islam, but it was a rare name, only few were named
Mohammed, until Nabi Mohammed PBUH.
Islam came through the prophet SCW who was Arabic (even though it was there from the beginning of time but wasn’t referred to as Islam until 7th century) so by giving your children the name’s of the prophet scw and his followers is a good deed for the sake of Allah in return for a reward, which is what Ajar is.

We live in the West now. You need to make sure you children have a good chance by giving them ambiguous names like Adam, Zara, etc.

If I'm an interviewer and I see a name like Shankaroon, Aragsan or Xandulle - that job application going straight in the trash. At least with a name like Adam you get them through the door.

We live in the West now. You need to make sure you children have a good chance by giving them ambiguous names like Adam, Zara, etc.

If I'm an interviewer and I see a name like Shankaroon, Aragsan or Xandulle - that job application going straight in the trash. At least with a name like Adam you get them through the door.
To hell with the interviewer. Preserve your culture doqon.

BobSmoke

Ciyaalsuuq Philosopher. Hot & Cold
I'd name my sons, Caydiid, Saxardiid, Ceebdiid
Daughters would be Amina, Hindo and Hamda

Every one of my children will get a pure Somali name. Shame on anyone who names their kids so called "Islamic" names which is ARABISM and ERASES OUR CULTURE.
I’m also Somali nationalist and advocate for our names to be preserved, but I’m just saying, naming your child a name that belonged to the prophet and his followers is not erasing your culture, it should be seen as a big blessing

Shmurda

King Of NSFW
All the boys will be named abdi and the females will be named some generic Arabic name I'm not a creative guy

Trending