Are you gonna give your kids Somali names?

I was thinking of this. Would you name your daughter or son a Somali name? I think I will.

I love the name Ilwaad for a girl. I also like Beydan, Ugbaad and Aragsan, though I’d be concerned about how the last two will be pronounced by non Somalis.

For boys though, I think I’d stick to Prophets names (I love the name Suleiman but it’s becoming popular).

What say you?
We need to keep our culture and make sure we dont white wash our children by naming them “Steven” or “Emily”

Gibiin-Udug

Supporter of PuntExit, P.I.M, Queen of Pettyville
Staff Member
Kinda,

I love the names

For girls

Bilan
Ebyan
Idman
Hodo
Ismahan

For boys

Magan
Sharmake
Shire
Shirwac
Warsame

What? The only names I recall that are explicitly mentioned are abdirahman and abdullah. You can name your child whatever you want as long as it’s a good name.
Not really. You can’t name your children Gaal names like billy and sandra, and expect to go around thinking Muslims especially Somalis will look at you thinking all is good, trust me waa lagu yesiya. So name your children Islamic names, not for anybody, but for the sake of Allah swt

Last edited:

Desert Flower

Staff Member
Not really. You can’t name your children Gaal names like billy and sandra, and expect to go around thinking Muslims especially Somalis will look at you thinking all is good, trust me waa lagu yesiya. So name your children Islamic names not for anybody, but for the sake of Allah swt
I’m not talking about that. I was responding to your comment on how Arab names carry ajar cuz of deen, which no they mostly don’t. The only two names (as far as I know) are abdirahman and Abdullahi. So then, a Somali name is just as acceptable as an Arab one. I’m not ashamed of my culture and want my kids to have undeniably Somali names considering they’ll be second generation.

I’m not talking about that. I was responding to your comment on how Arab names carry ajar cuz of deen, which no they mostly don’t. The only two names (as far as I know) are abdirahman and Abdullahi. So then, a Somali name is just as acceptable as an Arab one. I’m not ashamed of my culture and want my kids to have undeniably Somali names considering they’ll be second generation.
Inshallah. Not all Arab names carry Ajar but a significant number of them do, because the Rasool and the sahaba’s were Arabic

Not any Somali name. It has to sound good and has good meaning. A name like Cawle, ayaanleh, Osob, suban are a no no for me. Names like sharmarke, idil, hodan, Hana are nice

Apollo

Staff Member
Just make sure it is an easily pronounceable name. Some Somali names get totally butchered by white people.

I was thinking of this. Would you name your daughter or son a Somali name? I think I will.

I love the name Ilwaad for a girl. I also like Beydan, Ugbaad and Aragsan, though I’d be concerned about how the last two will be pronounced by non Somalis.

For boys though, I think I’d stick to Prophets names (I love the name Suleiman but it’s becoming popular).

What say you?
I never heard beydan or ugbaad before. Must be some really old Somali names

Desert Flower

Staff Member
Just make sure it is an easily pronounceable name. Some Somali names get totally butchered by white people.
Who cares about cadaan people? They’re out here naming their kids Hunter and Algebra equations and expect us to accommodate their weird tastes. They’ll do the same for me and mines.

Apollo

Staff Member
Who cares about cadaan people? They’re out here naming their kids Hunter and Algebra equations and expect us to accommodate their weird tastes. They’ll do the same for me and mines.
Even though they got weird names at times like hunter you still know how to pronounce it.

I got a Somali name and have to constantly correct foreigners on how to pronounce it. It is kind of annoying. Speaking out of experience.

A name like Ayaan is what I mean with a Somali name that is easily pronounceable. Many vowels, few consonants.

Gambar

VIP
My son has a Somali name, well two Somali names. One is a nickname between family and the other is his formal name. I will name my future child (inshallah) a Somali name as well. I’d rather preserve my culture. I understand religious names, but random Arab names are a no no.

Trending

Latest posts