Are men morally obligated to protect stranger women?

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I remember reading a similar report. So basically to sum it up, men are in fact less likely to protect or intervene and women are also much more likely to be attacked by men who are meant to protect them. All in all, I don't see a lot of the 'protecting' men are professing to do. Obviously i'm not talking about all men, many do indeed protect their families.

Really sad how women are much more likely to be attacked and die at the hands of men who meant to protect. It's harrowing stuff indeed.

That is true. Law enforcement also appears to lack a sense of urgency to intervene in IPV-related incidents especially where there is no physical harm but rather a pattern of controlling behaviour (referred to as psychological violence). However coercive control can evolve into physical abuse. It can also be exclusively psychological.

In Canada, it wasn't until 2021 that they considered adding coercive control to the criminal code.

Emily, now 40, says she spent years trying to get her ex-husband to stop contacting her. When she left her marriage almost five years ago, she found herself jobless, homeless and living in a transition house with her young son. (Dave Rae/CBC) Emily thought that when she left her marriage almost five years ago, she and her ex-husband would part ways amicably. But she said the harassment only got worse, to the point where she was unable to function.
There appears to be a pervasive issue. Some are willful ignorance (where they think it is a problem elsewhere). Also, regarding IPV, the impression is it only happens to those of low SES. Which is not true. There is often an attitude of denial.
That's fucked up, I haven't looked it up but it might be due to substance abuse or the spouse seeking divorce or ending the relationship, it's more likely to come from a more emotional man that hasn't had a father figure in his life.

Just my own experience from witnessing my childhood friend hit his mother around the age of 12 or 13 he used to shout and had anger issues, he never had a father figure, his dad was in jail, he got kicked out at 16 by his mom, he was drinking and smoking weed, I lost touch with him around this time, a few years back he was arrested for physically assaulting his girlfriend.
I am aware that men are victims of violence but the focus of the discussion was violence against women. Also, substance use is not the reason. It only makes an already abusive individual more abusive. Also, you can find domestic abuse in two parent families as well. You need not be fatherless. Though the dynamic is likely one which is emotionally distant and controlling. It's not merely the downtrodden or poorest members of society either. Though it is overrepresented among those experiencing financial strain.

NidarNidar

Punisher
That is true. Law enforcement also appears to lack a sense of urgency to intervene in IPV-related incidents especially where there is no physical harm but rather a pattern of controlling behaviour (referred to as psychological violence). However coercive control can evolve into physical abuse. It can also be exclusively psychological.

In Canada, it wasn't until 2021 that they considered adding coercive control to the criminal code.

There appears to be a pervasive issue. Some are willful ignorance (where they think it is a problem elsewhere). Also, regarding IPV, the impression is it only happens to those of low SES. Which is not true. There is often an attitude of denial.

I am aware that men are victims of violence but the focus of the discussion was violence against women. Also, substance use is not the reason. It only makes an already abusive individual more abusive. Also, you can find domestic abuse in two parent families as well. You need not be fatherless. Though the dynamic is likely one which is emotionally distant and controlling. It's not merely the downtrodden or poorest members of society either. Though it is overrepresented among those experiencing financial strain.
I remember reading about Police being more likely to be physically abusive to their significant other on average than the general public, this seems to be a systematic issue since police in Europe are lower.

Men > emotional abusive relationship
Women > Physically abusive ""

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Who do you think the police officers who arrive on the scene are most of the time?
Screenshot_20240424_210641_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240424_210714_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240424_210742_Chrome.jpg

Who do you think the police officers who arrive on the scene are most of the time?
They protect tax payers. It isn’t gendered. They protect you the same way they protect me. Also, women can also be police officers and there are many.

Plus, when women are stalked, r-worded or in DV cases, they’re useless tbh and statistics shows their failings.

attash

Amaan Duule
There are definitely a lot of corrupt police officers out there. But when the chips are down, you will call them for help and rely on their protection. Their presence is the reason why we live in a civilized society where you are not a victim of a crime every other day.
They protect tax payers. It isn’t gendered.
You said that you don't see much protecting from men. Most police are men. Doing protecting. Is that not what you meant? :ayaanswag:
They protect you the same way they protect me. Also, women can also be police officers and there are many.
That is why I said most. In America 85.8% of police officers are male. I imagine the proportion may be even higher in the UAE. The vast majority of soldiers and other security officials are also male.
Plus, when women are stalked, r-worded or in DV cases, they’re useless tbh and statistics shows their failings.
If they are useless, we would be seeing a lot more of these crimes happening. The country that you live in would be like Somalia or worse.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
There are definitely a lot of corrupt police officers out there. But when the chips are down, you will call them for help and rely on their protection. Their presence is the reason why we live in a civilized society where you are not a victim of a crime every other day.

You said that you don't see much protecting from men. Most police are men. Doing protecting. Is that not what you meant? :ayaanswag:

That is why I said most. In America 85.8% of police officers are male. I imagine the proportion may be even higher in the UAE. The vast majority of soldiers and other security officials are also male.

If they are useless, we would be seeing a lot more of these crimes happening. The country that you live in would be like Somalia or worse.
Two things can be correct at the same time. Officers are mandated to protect, and some are quite empathic and dedicated. Not all of them live up to the image of what an officer is to represent. And yes, this profession tends to have an overrepresentation of domestic abusers.
1714021746247.png

:pachah1:Also, who do we both need protection from? Let's metaphorically clutch our pearls and hold our bursos tightly while walking. I wonder what gender the assailant will be?
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

Two things can be correct at the same time. Officers are mandated to protect, and some are quite empathic and dedicated. Not all of them live up to the image of what an officer is to represent. And yes, this profession tends to have an overrepresentation of domestic abusers.
View attachment 326411
:pachah1:Also, who do we both need protection from? Let's metaphorically clutch our pearls and hold our bursos tightly while walking. I wonder what gender the assailant will be?
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers
The thing is, more than 80% of homicide female victims are murdered by their partners and family and usually in those cases, the police are notoriously bad at issuing any form of protection for women with DV issues. In the West, most women who are killed by their partners are in fact murdered after they’ve left their partners and in many cases they have restraining orders and have called the police a few times.

My whole point that @attash isn’t understanding is this

Women are overwhelming murdered by the men who are meant to protect them. I’m talking about husbands and male members of family and family friends. I think it’s like 84% or something ridiculous like that whilst 89% of men are murdered by strangers.
To top it off, women who are at risk of spouses don’t get much protection from the police. In the UK alone, three women a week are murdered by their partners.

Hence, looking at this it isn’t far off if I say that many men don’t do that much protecting of women, since the biggest threat to a woman is husband and family and the police is meant to also be their protector but they’re also let down by them.

I’m not knocking men btw since I know there are a lot of good and decent men who will protect the women in their family like their life depends on it and wouldn’t ever harm their spouses. We’re just pointing out that when women are murdered, it usually isn’t a stranger and in many cases there is a history of police failings.

I think it depends on a lot of different questions. Is she really being assaulted or is the guy just snatching her phone... or is it her purse? How big are you, how big are they... how many are you, how many are they... what do they have, what do you have.... it depends on a lot of variables.

Trending

Latest posts