Are men being emasculated in today's western society and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cognitivedissonance

A sane man to an insane society must appear insane
Stay WOKE
VIP
Modern men feel emasculated, study claims

By Sarah Womack, Social Affairs Correspondent
12:01AM GMT 26 Mar 2008

Many men believe the world is now dominated by women and that they have lost their role in society, fuelling feelings of depression and being undervalued.

Research shows the extent to which men have had to change within one or two generations, adapting to new rules and different expectations.

Asked what it meant to be a man in the 21st century, more than half thought society was turning them into "waxed and coiffed metrosexuals", and 52 per cent say they had to live according to women's rules.

What they apparently want is what some American academics have dubbed a "menaissance" - a return to manliness, where figures such as Sir Winston Churchill were models of manhood.

Many men believe the world is now dominated by women and that they have lost their role in society, fuelling feelings of depression and being undervalued.

Research shows the extent to which men have had to change within one or two generations, adapting to new rules and different expectations.

Asked what it meant to be a man in the 21st century, more than half thought society was turning them into "waxed and coiffed metrosexuals", and 52 per cent say they had to live according to women's rules.

What they apparently want is what some American academics have dubbed a "menaissance" - a return to manliness, where figures such as Sir Winston Churchill were models of manhood.

The research also shows that just as women feel their work-life balance has been stretched to breaking point, men think they have too many roles to play.

And although less sympathetic, 63 per cent of women recognise that men are struggling to meet the demands made of them.

But the hunter-gatherer role is still a strong male instinct. Once fatherhood arrives, men say they would prefer a more traditional role of either being the sole breadwinner with their partner a full-time mother and homemaker (34 per cent), or the main breadwinner with their partner working part-time (24 per cent).

Around 2,000 men and women were polled on the internet across 10 television regions for a survey commissioned by DMAX, an entertainment television channel from Discovery Networks.

Men said they "felt handcuffed" by political correctness - only 33 per cent felt they could speak freely and say what they thought, whereas two thirds found it safer and to conceal their opinions.

Harvey Mansfield, a Harvard professor and America's best known political philosopher, who tackles the topic in his book Manliness, says the issue is ignored.

"A man has to be embarrassed about being a man. I am trying to bring back the word manliness. It's not respected," he said.

According to the survey, men hold other men who speak their mind in high regard - the likes of Jeremy Clarkson, Jeremy Paxman, Bob Geldof and Gordon Ramsay. Their biggest hero is Churchill.

But four out of 10 are frightened of heights and spiders while a third are frightened of bossy women.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1582863/Modern-men-feel-emasculated-study-claims.html

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Why do many television shows, movies (mostly comedies), and reality TV have in common? Almost all of them have a male lead role portrayed as childish, stupid, and horny. After my latest blog post on “5 Reasons Why Christian Men Are Not Pursuing Women”, several men expressed some of the struggles they face and shared how they felt which has lead me to follow up with this post. The more I speak to men, the more I see how this frustration is an issue that many of them share in common:

Think of shows like “The Big Bang Theory”, “Modern Family”, and “King of Queens”; even superheroes that used to be sophisticated, intelligent, and hopeless romantics, are now being portrayed in a different light. Chris Pratt’s character “Peter” in “Guardians Of The Galaxy” and Chris Pine’s “Kirk” in “Star Trek” are the heroic protagonists, who also happened to be childish, stupid and horny. If you take a look at almost all reality TV, you will notice that they always cast at least one guy with these attributes.

Another irony you will find is that all of these shows and movies typically have a sophisticated, intelligent, woman that has to continuously “fix” the man or knock him down a peg or two if he shows any signs of strength or confidence. If a show or a movie portrayed the woman with those negative attributes, there would be an uproar and endless accusations that the writers, producers, and networks are sexist.

When we as men are being told from almost every media outlet that we are stupid and our brains aren’t located in our heads, we start to believe it. It’s becoming more difficult for a man to embrace their opinions and to embrace any sort of a leadership abilities whether at home or at work.

This serious problem is leading to many negative outcomes. When men are being forced to shut their mouths and believe that they are just immature boys, they end up getting stuck in their teenage years. A huge percentage of millennial males are uninterested in the idea of getting married. A lot of this lack of motivation comes from associating marriage to being controlled. When men say things such as “A happy wife is a happy life”, they are really saying “We are too dumb to understand women so we will just shut up, be submissive, and do whatever they want so that we can keep them happy and our lives aren’t miserable”. These men don’t see marriage as a place of respect and compromise from both ends.

Emasculating men in our society has lead men to stay boys. Our society applauds a guy that sleeps around with girls without any sort of commitment or sacrifice and despises a guy with any sort of expectations from his wife or that wants to be a leader leading a home.

Don’t believe me? Let’s compare two big shows, Hugh Hefner’s “Girl Next Door” and Kody Brown’s “Sister Wives”

Hugh Hefner, the Playboy founder is celebrated by many in our society and is viewed as a powerful man. After all, he is able to get as many girls as he wants into his bedroom while making a lot of money doing it. On the other hand, Kody Brown, a Mormon that is married to four women, is despised and looked at as a sexist pig.

While I find polygamy to be extremely disturbing, I think it’s a tragedy that we praise the player who uses women as objects and despise the man whose religious beliefs gives him the option to have multiple wives. After all, both of them are sleeping with bunch of women. The main difference is that one is in long-term committed marriages (Brown) while the other is using them until he gets bored (Hefner).

The way our society has praised and criticized men for the wrong reasons, has lead the way for many men, like Hugh Hefner, to stay teenage boys; unable to commit and unable to treat women the way they should be treated.

There are legitimate reasons why men have been portrayed in a negative light including women legitimately feeling used and unsafe by men. The solution, however, is not to bring men down as some sort of revenge. We are called to call men to rise up rather than embrace lies and spread them to a whole society.

Even within the church, I have seen so much emasculation that has not only discouraged me, but also scared me, of the idea of marriage. For some reason, it is acceptable in a small group setting for a wife to tell her husband “You are just a bad cook” or “honey, you can’t function one day without me” in front of people for a good laugh but imagine a husband telling the same words to his wife in front of others. Why have we accepted a double-standard? Have we forgotten that one of the core longings for a man is to feel respected?

It seems that the church has accepted the notion that men have clear roles in marriage but women have none; that men are guilty until proven innocent but women are innocent until proven guilty.

My all-time favorite show is “Friends”; when I recently watched it, I was disturbed by how, for so many years, I thought Joey, the guy who is childish, dumb, and horny, is hilarious. One of the main recurring jokes throughout the seasons is that Joey sleeps with many women but never remembers their names or calls them back. This is not funny. It is wrong and it sends a message to women that they have every right to look down on men and treat them as children, idiots, and horny beings.

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Ahhhhh enlightening us with one of ur informative, mind engaging threads. Please O great @Cognitivedissonance teach us the true evils of feminism my so wise friend:rejoice:
I'm learning with the rest of you none of this is my material I'm just shedding light on the issue and if that bothers you then why come on this thread cause I'm sensing some negative energy coming from you through my peripheral which is unwarranted

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Sarah Vine says that we're failing our young boys - and the statistics back her up. The numbers are unequivocal. In every respect, today's girls seem to have the advantage over boys

Boys To Men: The Underachievement Of Young Men in Higher Education and How To Start Tackling It, tells us that girls have 35 per cent more chance of entering higher education - a staggering figure that translates into almost 100,000 more young women than men applying to university this year.

But it gets worse. The poorer you are, the more dire the situation. Among pupils on free school meals, girls are 51 per cent more likely than boys to continue their studies after school.

And the group that fares worse than any other is low-income white boys. Just 8.9 per cent of them make it to college.

It's no coincidence that so many of this group are represented in our justice system, in young offender institutions and prisons. Young men from deprived backgrounds with very few opportunities to start off with, but whose options now seem narrower than ever.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...isation-society-especially-schools-blame.html

Men are today tall, broader and stronger than any century before it, don't base your ideology on fake sceince and do us the favor don''t spout this non-sense and insult our collective intelligence

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Schools are failing boys because lessons have become "feminised", says a leading academic who wants to see outdoor adventure given greater emphasis in the curriculum.

Tony Sewell, an author and director of The Learning Trust, will today a conference in London called Boys to Men: Teaching and Learning Masculinities in Schools and Colleges that boys fall behind in exams and the jobs market because teachers do not nurture male traits such as competitiveness and leadership.

Mr Sewell, a former Leeds University education lecturer, said some boys became so alienated by the feminised classroom they turned to gang violence to vent their anger.

He wants to see more outdoor activities in the curriculum and some coursework replaced with final exams. Mr Sewell also argues that more male teachers should be recruited, particularly in primary schools.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/education/2006/jun/13/schools.uk3

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Men are today tall, broader and stronger than any century before it, don't base your ideology on fake sceince and do us the favor don''t spout this non-sense and insult our collective intelligence
That's due to genetically modified foods the reason they are broader but let's face it men are much more effeminate in today's society for example do you know how much men spend on cosmetics?

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Men's grooming is now a multi-billion pound worldwide industry
From face creams and hair gels to luxury barbering, and even intimate hair removal... as the autumn/winter 2016 collections unfold on the catwalk, Alexander Fury investigates what lies beneath

2013 was the first year men spent more money on male-specific toiletries than on shaving products Alamy

Here's a confession: I've never been in a salon, or a spa. I've never had anything professionally pluck or shaved – bar a few zeros off my bank balance thanks to Miuccia Prada twice a year.

Increasingly, that puts me in the minority. Because the male grooming business is booming. Mrporter.com, the high-end menswear etailer, reported a 300 per cent growth in men's beauty and grooming products in 2015, a category it only added to the site two years ago. But 2013 was a bellwether, the first year men spent more money on male-specific toiletries than on shaving products. The market is still growing. The top 10 boom markets for men's toiletries since 2010 include Brazil, South Korea, the US, Germany, India and, yes, the UK. In China, another of that top 10, year-on-year growth has exceeded 20 per cent over the same period.

FASHION NEWS IN PICTURES
ditto-jacobs.jpg

New York Fashion Week
Beth Ditto walks the catwalk at Marc Jacobs spring/summer 2016 show Getty Images
9205_PR_02_sRGB_300.jpg

Beauty spotGet down to your nearest H&M store quick! The brand has launched a mammoth beauty collection, and all at budget friendly prices

That's a wide territory, and pretty impressive figures. You understand why people are excited by, and focusing on, a world market whose value is estimated to top £14.8bn this year. "It's been growing significantly," says Elodie Bohuon, Selfridges beauty buyer, of the men's grooming market. "Men are starting to get more and more knowledgeable about beauty and are paying attention to their looks: haircare is the biggest category, with shaving coming second." However, she does allow that: "Women still play a very important role in that market. A very big percentage of women are still buying men's grooming lines as gifts, or on behalf of partners."

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.in...on-pound-worldwide-industry-a6813196.html?amp

TooMacaan

VIP
There may be some agenda to emasculate males, yes, but it's not done by women/feminists-- nor is it to the benefit of women/feminists...whose interests are being served?? follow the $$$. It's the elite males hurting other 'disposable' males. Women, as a whole, haven't gained anything from this.

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
There may be some agenda to emasculate males, yes, but it's not done by women/feminists-- nor is it to the benefit of women/feminists...whose interests are being served?? follow the $$$. It's the elite males hurting other 'disposable' males. Women, as a whole, haven't gained anything from this.
You're complicit at best cause you don't speak out against it cause it clearly supports your interests as a female at worse you're guilty of tacit consent

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
Its true, you men are worth nothing :)
How did your father impregnate your mother to create you if he's worthless? Is your mother like the black widow spider did she eat your father after mating with him hence your response men are nothing?

Last edited:

Cognitivedissonance

Stay WOKE
VIP
When I was in Somalia and I witnessed injustices perpetrated by men against women I spoke out against it. The western modern society offers mankind equality and the most benevolent the omnipresent & the omnipotent offers mankind equity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending