GENETICS Are 23andme Somali regional results accurate?

Apollo

VIP
@Apollo how accurate is it

It is not accurate.

It is based on where people who already have tested say their four grandparents are from. Too many diaspora Somalis who left Mogadishu but with origins elsewhere in Somalia fill in Mogadishu. So almost everyone gets Banaadir as their top match.

This regional matching system of 23andMe is only good with European countries where they have thousands more testers and from diverse regions (not just from the capital).

It is not accurate.

It is based on where people who already have tested say their four grandparents are from. Too many diaspora Somalis who left Mogadishu but with origins elsewhere in Somalia fill in Mogadishu. So almost everyone gets Banaadir as their top match.

This regional matching system of 23andMe is only good with European countries where they have thousands more testers and from diverse regions (not just from the capital).

Is there an alternative you'd recommend?

Apollo

VIP
Is there an alternative you'd recommend?

Checking the people* closest to you on the Relative Finder tool tells you more about your regional origins within Somalia than the misleading everyone is from Banaadir one.

*You need to see where their grandparents were born on their profile, or ask them if they did not fill it in.

Checking the people* closest to you on the Relative Finder tool tells you more about your regional origins within Somalia than the misleading everyone is from Banaadir one.

*You need to see where their grandparents were born on their profile, or ask them if they did not fill it in.

I know about my familys region but I'm curious as to what % Somali I will be. As far as my family know we haven't mixed with outsiders.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So hopefully I will find out what the mystery is.

Apollo

VIP
I know about my familys region but I'm curious as to what % Somali I will be. As far as my family know we haven't mixed with outsiders.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So hopefully I will find out what the mystery is.

23andMe really won't provide you much info about your within-Somalia roots. That is just too difficult to do with such a small sample size. It can only tell you whether you are Somali.

23andMe really won't provide you much info about your within-Somalia roots. That is just too difficult to do with such a small sample size. It can only tell you whether you are Somali.

I meant that I know the somali part completely but if there's anything else I suppose the test is the only option.

what happend to "23andme" is the most acurate for somalis now yall saying is not acuarate cuz every somali who took it came back with the same shit :what1: :what1:

Trending