Arabic Influence on Modern Hebrew

Apollo

VIP

Ben Yehuda insisted together with other members of the Committee of the Hebrew Language that, to quote the Committee records, “In order to supplement the deficiencies of the Hebrew language, the Committee coins words according to the rules of grammar and linguistic analogy from Semitic roots: Aramaic and especially from Arabic roots

If only Somalis could have done the same (using Cushitic root words) instead of corrupting it with English, Italian, and Arabic words.:wow1:

Ben Yehuda insisted together with other members of the Committee of the Hebrew Language that, to quote the Committee records, “In order to supplement the deficiencies of the Hebrew language, the Committee coins words according to the rules of grammar and linguistic analogy from Semitic roots: Aramaic and especially from Arabic roots

If only Somalis could have done the same (using Cushitic root words) instead of corrupting it with English, Italian, and Arabic words.:wow1:

Somalis can use Af Rendille, Af Maay and Promo to supplement words that have been replaced by arabic etc.

Apollo

VIP
Somalis can use Af Rendille, Af Maay and Promo to supplement words that have been replaced by arabic etc.

Sadly Somalis are too disunited and the schooling system is not uniform like in Israel, but it's interesting nevertheless how Modern Hebrew was recently enriched with concepts and loan translations from nearby Semitic languages. They clearly tried to avoid European loanwords as much as possible.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Arabic is the most preserved language in the world with countless dictionaries and literature that spans a millenia.

You cannot compare Arabic root words to a primitive language that only developed a script 40 years ago

Macalin M

Out here
There are words that nobody uses. Like the word for Ice cream. Everyone says Gelato (Italian) but my mum says their is a word (I hate writing/reading in Somali so I’m not gonna embarrass myself with the spelling). It was a shit word anyway, I asked my mum if the person who thought of that word was a child.

Sadly Somalis are too disunited and the schooling system is not uniform like in Israel, but it's interesting nevertheless how Modern Hebrew was recently enriched with concepts and loan translations from nearby Semitic languages. They clearly tried to avoid European loanwords as much as possible.

True. But it's something for the future. Hebrew was basically a dead language until the Israelis started reviving it. Somali is still a living and vibrid language.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
That's quite an anticushitic smear, Af-Somali was written using other scripts before that (Wadaad script, Osmanya etc).
But they weren't widespread and in use, most people pre-Somali script wrote in Arabic lol.

southside

Hiiraan
i fear that the somali language will die somalis will fully adopt arabic in the future im seeing many somalis write in arabic on social media, i dont want us to become like the sudanese

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
i fear that the somali language will die somalis will fully adopt arabic in the future im seeing many somalis write in arabic on social media, i dont want us to become like the sudanese
Sudanese waa gob and relax that will never happen

Trending

Latest posts