Apple stops selling Apple products in Turkey as the Lira plunges.

Taliso

Nin aan cilay ba I cayaa.
VIP
Yikes, what is happening in Turkey?

People in Turkey have seen error messages as they attempt to buy iPhones and other products from Apple, as the country’s currency plunged.

Users were able to browse the Apple Store website but found they were unable to check out.

The problems come amid a historic 15% plunge in the lira the day before caused havoc for prices.

The currency slipped back towards its record low on Wednesday, driven by worries over broader fallout for the economy after President Tayyip Erdogan defended recent sharp rate cuts despite widespread criticism and calls for a reversal.

The lira has lost 43% of its value this year and more than 22% since the beginning of last week alone.

In turn, goods priced in the local currency have seen an effective sharp discount compared to prices elsewhere, with retailers struggling to keep up with price adjustments amid the market turmoil

Are Somalis cursed? Did they take their curse to Turkey? :damn:

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Screenshot_20211124-134300.png

The lira experienced a 70% loss in the span of 4 years. I hope turkey doesn't turn into Lebanon as I'm planning to raise my family over there.

View attachment 207523

The lira experienced a 70% loss in the span of 4 years. I hope turkey doesn't turn into Lebanon as I'm planning to raise my family over there.
What is it that attracts you there and makes you wanna raise a family there? I would suggest you live there for at least 3-6 months to get a feel for everything before bringing a family there. Wallahi its expensive to have a change of mind.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
What is it that attracts you there and makes you wanna raise a family there? I would suggest you live there for at least 3-6 months to get a feel for everything before bringing a family there. Wallahi its expensive to have a change of mind.
Turkey being a cheap first world country seems to be a better alternative to raise your family than back home for the western somalis marrying from black home and I don't wanna bring my family to the west. There's sizable Somali population in Istanbul and Ankara already. I'm gonna move over there next year inshallah and will spend adequate time before I settle into turkey with the wife.

Turkey levies insane tax on electronic devices, gasoline and motor vehicles. Everything else is rather cheap but these 3 products are taxed to death & it shows.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Turkey has insane tax on electronic devices, gasoline and motor vehicles. Everything else us cheap but these 3 products are taxed to death & it shows.
a 2010 Corolla can cost you 20k in turkey but you can have electronic stuff shipped to you from the west.

a 2010 Corolla can cost you 20k in turkey but you can have electronic stuff shipped to you from the west.

Vehicles are smaller, older and vastly more expensive to encourage the people to use public transport. Electronics are still taxed I believe and in case of smartphones they must get "Turkfied" for a relatively big sum of cash in order to protect local businesses from competition.

I believe you're from California, coastal areas will suit you the best. They're liberal and sunny year round. Anywhere from Izmir to Antalya.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Vehicles are smaller, older and vastly more expensive to encourage the people to use public transport. Electronics are still taxed I believe and in case of smartphones they must get "Turkfied" for a relatively big sum of cash in order to protect local businesses from competition.

I believe you're from California, coastal areas will suit you the best. They're liberal and sunny year round. Anywhere from Izmir to Antalya.
I've been eyeing Izmir and Antalya but moving to a city with sizeable Somali population is crucial to me. Do you know if there are any Somali communities in Antalya, Izmir or any other coastal cities ?

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Turkey levies insane tax on electronic devices, gasoline and motor vehicles. Everything else is rather cheap but these 3 products are taxed to death & it shows.
This, their Iphone cost like 1500 lol

I've been eyeing Izmir and Antalya but moving to a city with sizeable Somali population is crucial to me. Do you know if there are any Somali communities in Antalya, Izmir or any other coastal cities ?

My cousin studies in Istanbul. He says most Somalis are in Ankara & Istanbul. One you master the language you can pretty much move anywhere else you want. The problem with Turkish people their English is very poor outside major cities, southern regions are full with tourists and retirees so their grasp of English is better and more "livable" than almost anywhere else in Anatolia.

Lebron James

4 Time NBA Champion
VIP
Erdogan fucked the economy it’s only a matter of time before they throw him off and elect a new party.

The lira collapse is what’s making these people anti foreigners aswell, you should go on their Reddit page and see the crazy shit they’re saying.

I feel bad for the Somalis over there shit gonna get way more difficult

Erdogan fucked the economy it’s only a matter of time before they throw him off and elect a new party.

The lira collapse is what’s making these people anti foreigners aswell, you should go on their Reddit page and see the crazy shit they’re saying.

I feel bad for the Somalis over there shit gonna get way more difficult
Do you know why it is collapsing?

European & Gulf Arab foreign investors pulling out their capital from Turkey and manipulating the market for geopolitical reasons.

Above all is Erdogan economic model of cutting intrest rates and strong arming central bank.

Last edited:

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP

It started off with foreign entities trying to punish Erdogan for his expansionist policies.

But most of the damage has been due to Erdogan’s incompetence.

He is cutting interest rates and forcing the central bank to do so because he is sees it “as the mother and father of all evil.”

However, his economy relies on stable interest rates and is therefore becoming more damaged the more he undermines it.

GemState

36/21
VIP
Izmir is the best city in Turkey, but there's not a lot of somalis. Avoid Ankara at all costs, the place is a government center, very boring city. Istanbul is nice and got a good amount of somalis. The only con to Turkey is that you have to learn the language, except for that it's a pretty great place to live tbh.

so, I'd go Istanbul > Izmir > Ankara, if you decide to move.

Places like Antalya are decent though, I got a couple uncles that retiring there, much cheaper than the big cities and you can get a big house for less than it'd cost in somalia

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
Izmir is the best city in Turkey, but there's not a lot of somalis. Avoid Ankara at all costs, the place is a government center, very boring city. Istanbul is nice and got a good amount of somalis. The only con to Turkey is that you have to learn the language, except for that it's a pretty great place to live tbh.

so, I'd go Istanbul > Izmir > Ankara, if you decide to move.

Places like Antalya are decent though, I got a couple uncles that retiring there, much cheaper than the big cities and you can get a big house for less than it'd cost in somalia
Istanbul is great for tourism but not so much for everyday living as it's too old and congested with it's 15m residents. Alanya is a great city as well located on the coast. All the major coastal cities have the best of everything. I'm surprised diaspora somalis chose to settle in Ankara and Istanbul rather than Izmir/Antalya/Alanya. Do you know if there's a decent Somali population in Antalya ?

GemState

36/21
VIP
Istanbul is great for tourism but not so much for everyday living as it's too old and congested with it's 15m residents. Alanya is a great city as well located on the coast. All the major coastal cities have the best of everything. I'm surprised diaspora somalis chose to settle in Ankara and Istanbul rather than Izmir/Antalya/Alanya. Do you know if there's a decent Somali population in Antalya ?
80% of the Somalis that live in Turkey live in Istanbul/Ankara, the only people I know of living in Antalya are diaspora retirees that got tired of Europe, and only a couple hundred Somalis are there at most. It's a gorgeous place tbh, and crazy cheap, but you can't survive without good Turkish there, at least in the bigger cities you'll get a couple English speakers here and there, but in Alayna/Antalya, you'll get none of that, so keep that in mind

Trending

Latest posts