Any older users in here? What was the Somali diaspora in the west like in the 90’s

My hooyo came in her 20’s in the 90’s and she said the community was more close knit back then. When one would see another Somali in the street they would automatically become friends and exchange phone numbers as they were all new to the west and wanted to get to know other Somalis. She said there were lots of fun parties and gatherings, Somalis liked each other more and there was much less xaasidnimo. She says things changed sometime in the 2000’s.

Any other older people here who know what things were like in the diaspora when people started immigrating in the 90’s?

Kisame

Plotting world domination
Your on the wrong forum :mjlol:

somnet was the main forum for that age group. That's where they mainly hung out back in the day. You should lurk that place to see what life was like for them back in the day.

I’m sure your family has some VHS cajelo stashed somewhere of the parties they threw in those days

Some people will be very surprised what folks were getting up to lol

My hooyo came in her 20’s in the 90’s and she said the community was more close knit back then. When one would see another Somali in the street they would automatically become friends and exchange phone numbers as they were all new to the west and wanted to get to know other Somalis. She said there were lots of fun parties and gatherings, Somalis liked each other more and there was much less xaasidnimo. She says things changed sometime in the 2000’s.
Thats the time fob south Somalis entered the diaspora scene
Any other older people here who know what things were like in the diaspora when people started immigrating in the 90’s?

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP

We were living good (I was born in the 90s).

I was a kid in the late 90s and early 2000s there weren't many somalis in the uk at the time, no one knew what we were they confused us for Pakistani lool. rhe Somalis at that time was super close knit, we would say hi to one anther and quickly befriend any somali that lived near us. My mum and their mum would bring their children to each other homes and that was a laugh. I miss those days so much no social media no awareness of who somalis are. We were completely under the radar till about 2004 although not as bad as 2008 and onwards.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I was a child during this time, so my point of reference is limited. However, this should give you some insight into the life of a 90s kid born in the US and raised in Canada. There was nothing to do but watch TV, play video games and use dial-up.

90s nostalgia.png

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
@Basra could tell us how the somali community was back in 1700s she has all the gossip.

I heard a rumor that she was even present when islam first came to somalia and she was amongst the first to become muslim.

AbdiFreedom

Staff Member
I have heard many stories about the Somalis here in the 80s and 90s. They mostly resembled the secular young Somalis of today, except they weren't as weird.

Someone posted this before. Somalis in 1994 in Canada.

Trending

Latest posts