any engineering majors here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake from State Farm

We pro xalimo all 2019
My dad was bugging me about switching from my biology major to a biomedical or any enginerring major in general.i honestly did consider it, but i have honestly like probably 2 more years to graduate with my bachelors in biology. this is my third year(wasn't focused on a specific major the first year and half) decided to become pre med during my second year. i still am pre med. focused on becoming a doctor currently. I do have a couple back up plans just in case like getting a BSN and becoming a nurse,getting a teaching certificate and becoming a teacher,physcian assitant, nurse practioner, and a couple of others.

for you engineering majors. i was looking at the degree plan for some of them. i have most of the sciences taken care of and if i did do the switch the only thing i would have left are a couple calculus classes, and a boat load of engineering courses.

How difficult are the engineering courses in general
was it hard to maintain a gpa above a 3.0
how are the job prospects once you graduate.
are yall expecting to make salaries above 100k in the future as an engineer.

Engineering is pretty easy. I'm an engineering + physics major and I have found engineering simply boring due to the lack of background information given to you. For example theories are told not explained unlike in physics where everything is in a perpetual state of " why" and "how" . Engineers are focused on "how to fix this".Its a subtle difference but quiet easy to see when doing a double major. That said if you want a job do an engineering degreee in the field of mechaniccs and electricity they help our a lot.

Why not just go to medical/dental school? Doctors and dentists make a killing in the US. Plus biology undergrad makes more sense to do go into medicine than engineering.

First things first, never go into engineering with an intention to make “boat loads” of money. I did not find engineering tough but it is solely dependent on hard you work and the effort you put in. Some semesters you will be taking 6-7 courses and all of them are pretty heavy. If you don’t watch yourself then it is easy to fall behind and destroy your gpa.

Majoring in Biomedical engineering in undergrad isn’t a smart idea. It’s better you do your Msc. in Biomed Eng. reason is because it is a very narrow field and it is better for you to major in a broad field such as Electrical or Mechanical then master in Biomed.

Lastly no new graduate makes 100k right out of the gates unless you have a masters or work for a gigantic company.

If you don’t have the passion for engineering don’t bother wasting your time, it will utterly destroy you as the courses are so heavy and unforgiving.

Also concerning job prospects, network heavily and work on your communication skills. Go to networking events and career fairs and bring extra copies of resumes with you. Recruiters pay attention to passionate individuals and not people who treat their career prospects as chores. Sending applications online to random companies won’t generally work unless your resume is stacked with experience which generally isn’t the case with new grads.

My dad was bugging me about switching from my biology major to a biomedical or any enginerring major in general.i honestly did consider it, but i have honestly like probably 2 more years to graduate with my bachelors in biology. this is my third year(wasn't focused on a specific major the first year and half) decided to become pre med during my second year. i still am pre med. focused on becoming a doctor currently. I do have a couple back up plans just in case like getting a BSN and becoming a nurse,getting a teaching certificate and becoming a teacher,physcian assitant, nurse practioner, and a couple of others.

for you engineering majors. i was looking at the degree plan for some of them. i have most of the sciences taken care of and if i did do the switch the only thing i would have left are a couple calculus classes, and a boat load of engineering courses.

How difficult are the engineering courses in general
was it hard to maintain a gpa above a 3.0
how are the job prospects once you graduate.
are yall expecting to make salaries above 100k in the future as an engineer.
you're about to graduate man it's too late unless you want to stay a couple of years
I had the same issue when i was in college

First things first, never go into engineering with an intention to make “boat loads” of money. I did not find engineering tough but it is solely dependent on hard you work and the effort you put in. Some semesters you will be taking 6-7 courses and all of them are pretty heavy. If you don’t watch yourself then it is easy to fall behind and destroy your gpa.

Majoring in Biomedical engineering in undergrad isn’t a smart idea. It’s better you do your Msc. in Biomed Eng. reason is because it is a very narrow field and it is better for you to major in a broad field such as Electrical or Mechanical then master in Biomed.

Lastly no new graduate makes 100k right out of the gates unless you have a masters or work for a gigantic company.

If you don’t have the passion for engineering don’t bother wasting your time, it will utterly destroy you as the courses are so heavy and unforgiving.

Also concerning job prospects, network heavily and work on your communication skills. Go to networking events and career fairs and bring extra copies of resumes with you. Recruiters pay attention to passionate individuals and not people who treat their career prospects as chores. Sending applications online to random companies won’t generally work unless your resume is stacked with experience which generally isn’t the case with new grads.
this is good advice
also and go on linkedin

Status
Not open for further replies.