Any biomeds/aspiring researchers here?

strawberrii

#ArthurGang
Just from looking around this forum, it seems like there are quite a few people studying biomedicine here. I’d also like to know if there’s any PhD students or post-docs here.

I’m really interested in research but I’m not sure whether to go into academia or medicine. I’d also like to work in Somaliland or mainland Somalia as well and it doesn’t seem like there’s much research going on there.

If any of you guys are out there and willing to give your two cents then please reply :)

I think your best option is talking to your uni and seeing if you're able to get into contact with any Biomed graduates or people with a PhD. You can always check the student room and see what people have to say about it there too.

Tbh, I don't know many people personally who have completed this degree, only people who currently study it.

For grad med (which i'm assuming is one of your options after biomed), I forgot to add that i've heard the NHS can pay for that degree. I can't remember if they pay your fee partially or fully or if they even do this still but you might want to look into that.

I've also heard of a case where someone applied for grad med after only 1 year of biomed and was accepted. Of course this depends on the university so you can call and ask.

Sorry, I don't have much information about the research field or PhD.

Exodus

Alienist
My Medicine degree gives me a Biomedical degree one after year 4 out of 6 if we decide for whatever reason to not go into Medicine.

Also, since I want to move to the USA for work after my degree I need to do research for my CV, and I'll try to do something over the summer.

Biomed is actually a dead field.

Medicine is 1000x more rewarding than academia. Academia is essentially being a paper mill, writing about mundane things (folding pattern of some obsecure protein for example) and having to worry about university and administrative politics. Extremely narrow and intellectually demanding for low pay.

As a medic you can do research and still make tons of money with your primary job (and make a tangible difference).

strawberrii

#ArthurGang
Biomed is actually a dead field.

Medicine is 1000x more rewarding than academia. Academia is essentially being a paper mill, writing about mundane things (folding pattern of some obsecure protein for example) and having to worry about university and administrative politics. Extremely narrow and intellectually demanding for low pay.

As a medic you can do research and still make tons of money with your primary job (and make a tangible difference).
I’m more interested in pharmacology than biochemistry but I can see what you mean with uni/admin politics.

Finishing up my biomed degree , doing a masters to become a PA . After spending few years in the lab , i realised i fucking hated it

Trending