any advise on what to farm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reer-Bari

COMMANDER OF THE PUNTLAND DEFENCE TEAM
Just bought 17 plots of land in bari. Each one is 20 x 20. Im going next month to test the soil. Any advise on what to farm if the soil is farmable?

Reer-Bari

i got for a reasonable price but im not comfortable disclosing the amount. Any advise though?

First, you have a lot of preparatory work to do. Soil testing, access to water, then you need to fence your land to protect whatever you do grow from animals. Anything which yields quickly and in quantity is worth looking at. Good luck, inshallah khayr.

Look into tangible pesticides. there are a lot of unsafe varieties so do some research before buying.

Reer-Bari

What are the best soil testing methods. I just ordered the ph soil tester from amazon. Is that going to be enough. For the testing aspect

What are the best soil testing methods. I just ordered the ph soil tester from amazon. Is that going to be enough. For the testing aspect

It will make more sense to take samples and send them to a lab. They will give you a soil analysis across dozens of measures and also give you some advice on what to add to your soil. In somaliland we generally have quite a lot of salt in the soil. They will probably prescribe adding some gypsum if that is the case, and in that case you are in luck as there is a lot in the east. However, it usually comes in big chunks so you will have to get some help to break it down into a form that can be absorbed into the soil.
Look into tangible pesticides. there are a lot of unsafe varieties so do some research before buying.

This is something that he will need to experiment with. Diseases will arise, some preventable, others you will have to experience and go through. The key is to up your level of preparation. There is a reason why people go and study agriculture and agronomy (i didn't) it is a complicated task which involves trying to grow something that wasn't there before; and invariable for good reasons. Invest in the knowledge.

Reer-Bari

It will make more sense to take samples and send them to a lab. They will give you a soil analysis across dozens of measures and also give you some advice on what to add to your soil. In somaliland we generally have quite a lot of salt in the soil. They will probably prescribe adding some gypsum if that is the case, and in that case you are in luck as there is a lot in the east. However, it usually comes in big chunks so you will have to get some help to break it down into a form that can be absorbed into the soil.

This is something that he will need to experiment with. Diseases will arise, some preventable, others you will have to experience and go through. The key is to up your level of preparation. There is a reason why people go and study agriculture and agronomy (i didn't) it is a complicated task which involves trying to grow something that wasn't there before; and invariable for good reasons. Invest in the knowledge.
Thanks for the advise

You need to invest in disruptive technology.

There are soil testers that are connected to “Intranet” connection where they use Bluetooth to share information. There are various softwares on the market that you pay monthly for and don’t need access to an internet connection.

Farming is going to be disrupted by the internet of things. For pesticides, there’s also this scrub that is indegenius to Somalia and western Ethiopia called the Yeheb nut, it’s great to plant and can take time to mature. The nuts and skin release a natural pesticide and ward way pests.

I’m looking at growing these nuts in high volume to extract the oil and bottle it for export.

The “circular economy” will be the model for places like Somalia, in the circular economy everything is by product of something else. Somalis don’t like to recycle and love creating waste. Many farmers in Bari could benefit from a compost facility in Puntland, it would require taking organic waste from homes, restaurant and facilities to compost nutrient rich fertilizer. Camel and cow manure isn’t gathered also in Somalia.

This is the greatest time to be Somali. Just make sure you didn’t get ripped off for that land. In Tanzania you can buy 50 acres for 80k. Somalia has ridiculous way of calculating valuations.

Reer-Bari

There are soil testers that are connected to “Intranet” connection where they use Bluetooth to share information. There are various softwares on the market that you pay monthly for and don’t need access to an internet connection.

Farming is going to be disrupted by the internet of things. For pesticides, there’s also this scrub that is indegenius to Somalia and western Ethiopia called the Yeheb nut, it’s great to plant and can take time to mature. The nuts and skin release a natural pesticide and ward way pests.

I’m looking at growing these nuts in high volume to extract the oil and bottle it for export.

The “circular economy” will be the model for places like Somalia, in the circular economy everything is by product of something else. Somalis don’t like to recycle and love creating waste. Many farmers in Bari could benefit from a compost facility in Puntland, it would require taking organic waste from homes, restaurant and facilities to compost nutrient rich fertilizer. Camel and cow manure isn’t gathered also in Somalia.

This is the greatest time to be Somali. Just make sure you didn’t get ripped off for that land. In Tanzania you can buy 50 acres for 80k. Somalia has ridiculous way of calculating valuations.
I got it for 1 and a half month salary alahamdulilah. Its on the outskirts of a city in barri. Not bosaso or qardo

I got it for 1 and a half month salary alahamdulilah. Its on the outskirts of a city in barri. Not bosaso or qardo

That’s cheap man.

Did you file and register the land in Puntland?

Puntland is pretty solid with land disputes and the ease of buying land without getting it confiscated.

People assume the land is infertile, which makes the price go down significantly.

Try to find crops that grow in Arid climates, like Moringa and Fonio.

Teff is also an amazing crop to grow. Even sesame

XoosBoos

Hiraab Commander

Nice, I can inshallah try to grow that nut in Galgaduud soil. @Agent 47 something for you?

Reer-Bari

That’s cheap man.

Did you file and register the land in Puntland?

Puntland is pretty solid with land disputes and the ease of buying land without getting it confiscated.

People assume the land is infertile, which makes the price go down significantly.

Try to find crops that grow in Arid climates, like Moringa and Fonio.

Teff is also an amazing crop to grow. Even sesame
The mayor personally signed my papers and re assured my father and uncle that they are legit. My father also bought land next to mine

RasCanjero-

Self imposed exile
crop-featured.jpg

:browtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts