• This website is being maintained/upgraded and may have some downtime or errors.

Animals native to Somalia

One Star To Rule Them All

Somali Militia
VIP

^^^All of the above pics are taken by @yyusufd on twitter

Ostriches in Sool

Some coastal place called Siyara, Saaxil region:

This is a shark, forgot what it was called:

Turtles

This one is called "Caasha badhi" in Af Somali:icon lol:

I've seen the last one in the border crossing between Somaliland and Djibouti.

There were two of these and the weather was really sweltering and one of them died of dehydration and the other one comes back and sniffs it's dead body and starts to show emotion:tocry:

I gotta go stay Sool longer. Ostriches in Somaliland is jokes:mjhaps:

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
I've seen the last one in the border crossing between Somaliland and Djibouti.

There were two of these and the weather was really sweltering and one of them died of dehydration and the other one comes back and sniffs it's dead body and starts to show emotion:tocry:

I gotta go stay Sool longer. Ostriches in Somaliland is jokes:mjhaps:
Ostriches are all fun and games until they chase you, lol. They used to be common in all Somali regions before the wars, but now they mostly live in hot Savannahs.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Secretarybirds are nice. I have seen them several times back home. Mostly in Togdheer/Saraar regions.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
3 types of snakes are called "Abeeso".

1. The Somali puff adder. Also commonly referred to as "Abguri". Common all over the Somali peninsula. You can find it from Djibouti all the way to Garissa. They are good swimmers too. They are generally miskeens.

2. Somali carpet viper. More common in Bari regions. Personally, never seen it.

3. North-east African carpet viper. Guban area.
The most aggressive of all abeeso's and Somali snakes in general. Holds responsible for most serious snake bites.

I'm not sure if you noticed it, but some snake names in Somali start with an "Ab".
Ab means ancestor, btw. For example, Abeeso, Abguri, Abris etc. Why's that?

Ever heard of the Somali proverb that says:
"Nin abeeso dilay waa nin afartan gaal dilay" = "Killing one abeeso is akin to killing 40 gaalos"

I have heard other similar proverbs like the one above in the past as well.

Lol,,I know there also many more proverbs that say the completely opposite like "abeeso madaxa ayaa laga dilaa" but let's ignore them for a second.

Apparently, I heard that pre-Islam Somalis believed that their ancestors reincarnated as snakes so it was 'haram' to kill them even if they were venomous...

If you want to know more about Somali snakes, here's a list of venomous snakes of the Horn: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Venomous_Snakes_of_the_Horn_of_Africa_(USACHPPM_Poster_CP-043-0206).pdf
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Black mamba bites can kill a person after anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours. It's good to know that they're very rare.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
View attachment 101398View attachment 101400

This weird looking animal called the Dugong can also be found near the Somali coast. It's going extinct though. We need to take care of our diverse wildlife before they're all gone.
:diddyass:
Looks tasty.
A baby dik dik I came across.
View attachment 108339
I wonder if these can be kept as pets. I just have to have one.
:lawd:
I'm surprised the puntites have forgotten their native bird that the AE imported from there.

They stomp on snakes till the opps are dead. Walaahi it's one of my favourite birds.

Native to Africa, secretary birds are found south of the Sahara Desert, from Senegal east to Somalia and south to South Africa. Standing over four feet tall, the elegant birds cruise through grasses on long legs while looking for a bite to eat. Secretary birds prefer savannas with scattered acacia trees and short grasses where they can easily see while strolling.

View attachment 113704
:williamswtf:
4 feet is huge. I wonder if they have ever eaten children.
Rana oxyrhynchus migiurtina

View attachment 114038
Those are the long legs of a laandheere.
:wow:

Yahya

VIP
2020 GRANDMASTER
:diddyass:
Looks tasty.

I wonder if these can be kept as pets. I just have to have one.
:lawd:

:williamswtf:
4 feet is huge. I wonder if they have ever eaten children.

Those are the long legs of a laandheere.
:wow:
They could easily. Secretary birds are as big as adult eagles that can easily snatch kids up.

Yahya

VIP
2020 GRANDMASTER
The elders in sanaag tell me there were myths about leaopards once inhabiting the Cal madow forests. Sadly most of sanaag was deforested over the years and less forest is present today.

Also herders and nomads would have no doubt found them to be a nuisance to their livestock and culled them.

This could have been possible in sanaag but herding is more important than the environment.

Such majestic rare creatures.

Latest posts