Ancient West/Central African Architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathWish

Hotep and Hebrew Israelite
West African architecture is very beautiful! The most interesting civilization in West Africa, in my opinion, is Dhar Tichitt. This civilization is the pre-cursor civilization of Ghana, Mali, Songhai, etc. It has 4000 years old stone structures and houses.

23w6woy.jpg

2wp58c3.jpg

2ujh91z.jpg

:noneck::noneck::noneck:

there is no such thing as west/central African architecture
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Nasty COON!!!
full

West African architecture is very beautiful! The most interesting civilization in West Africa, in my opinion, is Dhar Tichitt. This civilization is the pre-cursor civilization of Ghana, Mali, Songhai, etc. It has 4000 years old stone structures and houses.

23w6woy.jpg

2wp58c3.jpg

2ujh91z.jpg

:noneck::noneck::noneck:

Nasty COON!!!
full
I have heard of this civilization, but only in passing! I never knew about the stone structures. Please can you tell more?
And LOL his sentiment is the most common one felt about us.

DeathWish

Hotep and Hebrew Israelite
I have heard of this civilization, but only in passing! I never knew about the stone structures. Please can you tell more?
And LOL his sentiment is the most common one felt about us.
Historians don't know much about these ancient people because they can't excavate.

The sandstone escarpment of the Dhar Tichitt in South-Central Mauritania was inhabited by Neolithic agropastoral communities for approximately one and half millennium during the Late Holocene, from ca. 4000 to 2300 BP.These regions, resettled by sparse oasis-dwellers populations and iron-using communities starting from the first half of the first millennium AD, became part of the famous Ghana “empire”, the earliest state in West African history.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631071309000996

Between 4000 BC and 1000 BC: At Tichitt-Walata—"Before 2000 BC, what is today the southern Sahara was inhabited by significant numbers of herders and farmers. On the rocky promontories of the Tichitt-Walata (Birou) and Tagant Plateaus in modern day Mauritania,they built what are considered among the earliest known civilizations in western Africa. Composed of more than 400 stone masonry settlements, with clear street layouts, some settlements had massive surrounding walls while others were less fortified. In a deteriorating environment, where arable land and pasturage were at a premium, the population grew and relatively large-scale political organizations emerged - factors which no doubt explain the homogeneity of architecture, settlement patterns, and material culture (e.g., lithic and ceramic traditions). This agro-pastoral society traded in jewelry and semi-precious stones from distant parts of the Sahara and Sahel, while crafts, hunting, and fishing were also important economic pursuits...Their elites built funerary monuments for themselves over a period extending from 4000 to 1000 BC." [sources: see Ray A. Kea, and Mauny, R.(1971),“The Western Sudan” in Shinnie: 66-87. Monteil, Charles (1953),“La Légende du Ouagadou et l’Origine des Soninke” in Mélanges Ethnologiques (Dakar: Bulletin del’Institut Francais del’Afrique Noir)]

By 3,000 BC: Evidence of iron working and production in West Africa.

"In fact, only in Africa do you find such a range of practices in the process of direct reduction [a method in which metal is obtained in a single operation without smelting],and metal workers who were so inventive that they could extract iron in furnaces made out of the trunks of banana trees," says Hamady Bocoum, one of the authors.[references: The Origins of Iron Metallurgy in Africa, 2002; "Iron Roads in Africa" project c/o UNESCO]

An urban core zone developed in the WS in the first half of the second millennium b.c. It represents the earliest known phase of urbanization in the Western Sudan world-system and occurred along the escarpments of Dhar Tichitt, Dhar Walata, and Dhar Tagantbetween 1600/1500 and 1000/900 B.C.(for an overview, see Mauny 1950; Vernet 1993, chapter 7. See Figure 3).

The Dhar Tichitt and Dhar Walata core formation consisted of more than 400 dry-stone settlement sites—hamlets, villages, and towns with clear street layouts—that were strung out along the escarpments for a distance of several hundred kilometers. Some settlements had massive surrounding walls, while others were not fortified.

I hope this is enough for you. If you want to read more, here is where I got this info from...
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/lets-talk-african-history-sahel-west-african-civilizations.228936/
This thread is definitely worth reading!:lawd:

Last edited:
Historians don't know much about these ancient people because they can't excavate.

The sandstone escarpment of the Dhar Tichitt in South-Central Mauritania was inhabited by Neolithic agropastoral communities for approximately one and half millennium during the Late Holocene, from ca. 4000 to 2300 BP.These regions, resettled by sparse oasis-dwellers populations and iron-using communities starting from the first half of the first millennium AD, became part of the famous Ghana “empire”, the earliest state in West African history.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631071309000996

Between 4000 BC and 1000 BC: At Tichitt-Walata—"Before 2000 BC, what is today the southern Sahara was inhabited by significant numbers of herders and farmers. On the rocky promontories of the Tichitt-Walata (Birou) and Tagant Plateaus in modern day Mauritania,they built what are considered among the earliest known civilizations in western Africa. Composed of more than 400 stone masonry settlements, with clear street layouts, some settlements had massive surrounding walls while others were less fortified. In a deteriorating environment, where arable land and pasturage were at a premium, the population grew and relatively large-scale political organizations emerged - factors which no doubt explain the homogeneity of architecture, settlement patterns, and material culture (e.g., lithic and ceramic traditions). This agro-pastoral society traded in jewelry and semi-precious stones from distant parts of the Sahara and Sahel, while crafts, hunting, and fishing were also important economic pursuits...Their elites built funerary monuments for themselves over a period extending from 4000 to 1000 BC." [sources: see Ray A. Kea, and Mauny, R.(1971),“The Western Sudan” in Shinnie: 66-87. Monteil, Charles (1953),“La Légende du Ouagadou et l’Origine des Soninke” in Mélanges Ethnologiques (Dakar: Bulletin del’Institut Francais del’Afrique Noir)]

By 3,000 BC: Evidence of iron working and production in West Africa.

"In fact, only in Africa do you find such a range of practices in the process of direct reduction [a method in which metal is obtained in a single operation without smelting],and metal workers who were so inventive that they could extract iron in furnaces made out of the trunks of banana trees," says Hamady Bocoum, one of the authors.[references: The Origins of Iron Metallurgy in Africa, 2002; "Iron Roads in Africa" project c/o UNESCO]

An urban core zone developed in the WS in the first half of the second millennium b.c. It represents the earliest known phase of urbanization in the Western Sudan world-system and occurred along the escarpments of Dhar Tichitt, Dhar Walata, and Dhar Tagantbetween 1600/1500 and 1000/900 B.C.(for an overview, see Mauny 1950; Vernet 1993, chapter 7. See Figure 3).

The Dhar Tichitt and Dhar Walata core formation consisted of more than 400 dry-stone settlement sites—hamlets, villages, and towns with clear street layouts—that were strung out along the escarpments for a distance of several hundred kilometers. Some settlements had massive surrounding walls, while others were not fortified.

I hope this is enough for you. If you want to read more, here is where I got this info from...
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/lets-talk-african-history-sahel-west-african-civilizations.228936/
This thread is definitely worth reading!:lawd:

Thankyou so much! This is great stuff. Will definitely check out that coli thread thanks!
Lol I don't take them seriously

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
Ignore the edgy racism on this forum. :tacky:

The architecture looks unique, what material was being used to build these things? Must be sturdy to survive this long.

Ignore the edgy racism on this forum. :tacky:

The architecture looks unique, what material was being used to build these things? Must be sturdy to survive this long.
Mud, Adobe, brick, wood, stone, combination of mud and other things used.
Lol its fine, I expected it.
Lol this is why I don't understand racist mocking houses made of mud. They weren't just made of mud, they were durable. Could look amazing and environmentally friendly.

Mud, Adobe, brick, wood, stone, combination of mud and other things used.
Lol its fine, I expected it.
Lol this is why I don't understand racist mocking houses made of mud. They weren't just made of mud, they were durable. Could look amazing and environmentally friendly.
Racism from Somalis is like a handicapped person trying to fight you.
laugh at these brain-dead bigots, it's not like their racism is gonna do shit:samwelcome:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts