The origins of the Ancient Nubians?

Som

VIP
Are there any reliable genetic studies on ancient nubians? The 25th Egyptian pharaohs dinasty was nubian and historians argue that their art depicted more subsaharan features because they were black.
Any possible relations with Somalis?

Apollo

VIP
Are there any reliable genetic studies on ancient nubians? The 25th Egyptian pharaohs dinasty was nubian and historians argue that their art depicted more subsaharan features because they were black.
Any possible relations with Somalis?

The Ancient Nubians cluster around the Beja and Habeshas.

The way the Ancient Egyptians depicted foreigners was not accurate. It tended to be propagandistic and otherizing. How the Ancient Nubians drew themselves is more like what they actually looked like (more like Horners, less like South Sudan Nilotes).

In 2019 during an anthropology conference some data on the Ancient Nubians was shown. Usually it takes about two years until a study is released from a conference. So by ~2021 the Ancient Nubian ancient genome data will be released. Here is what we have so far (a blurry PCA plot):

Som

VIP

The way the Ancient Egyptians depicted foreigners was not accurate. It tended to be propagandistic and otherizing. How the Ancient Nubians drew themselves is more like what they actually looked like (more like Horners, less like South Sudan Nilotes).

In 2019 during an anthropology conference some data on the Ancient Nubians was shown. Usually it takes about two years until a study is released from a conference. So by ~2021 the Ancient Nubian ancient genome data will be released. Here is what we have so far (a blurry PCA plot):

If I'm not mistaken nubians were actually a heterogeneous group that included any one who was more black than ancient egyptians so nilotics, bejas(medjays) and other cushites were all considered nubian despite the differences in appearance

What about the A Group, C group and X- group thing? If I'm not mistaken nubians were heterogeneous and included both nilotic looking and cushitic looking people. Any genetic studies on the kerma culture and stuff like that? If I'm not mistaken there was some kind if dental morphology study on them

Apollo

VIP
@Som,

We'll have to wait and see. I personally don't think they were too diverse and craniometrics isn't always completely reliable.

Trending