American-born Somali journalist drags Magool in New York Times op-ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
MINNEAPOLIS — On a sunny day in 1991, Maryan, my dad’s first cousin, was hiding from rifle-carrying soldiers in a house in Mogadishu, Somalia, while the melodic voice of the singer Magool blared from a megaphone outside. Magool repeated an ugly slur for the Darod, our family’s clan, while a sweaty Maryan crouched inside the kitchen, holding her breath.

When I was 10 years old, Maryan casually told me this story from the civil war in Somalia — then almost a decade in the past — over breakfast in my family’s home in Minneapolis. I found it perplexing that Magool, an artist many Somalis held in high esteem, would allow herself to become a mouthpiece for violent men.

As a child, I didn’t understand the extent to which clan ideology distorted many Somalis’ thinking. My own paternal grandmother, traumatized by the war, gave me my first introduction to that mind-set.

“Do you know the name of your clan, or what a clan is?” she asked me, in Somali, of course, when I was visiting at her home in Ohio during the summer between fifth and sixth grades.

I didn’t, I told her.

She took it upon herself to teach me not only about my own clan but also about the singer Magool’s clan, and her disdain for it. At the time, I cared more about cartoons than about politics or my identity as a Somali, but I didn’t judge my grandmother.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/27/opinion/somalia-2017-clan-ideology.html

Duchess

VIP
She put Magool on the summer jam screen. Now hipsters who have never heard of Magool will Google her name and think of her and all her associates ( read: K'naan) as war criminals. :damn:

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I love it loooooool.

I remember when I was in high school, K'naan had a concert in Minnesota, and people said he was related to magool and didn't want to attend his concert. He basically threw her under the bus and called her ignorant, he said he's not related to her, his family never met her and if they did they wouldn't condone what she did.

Duchess

VIP
I love it loooooool.

I remember when I was in high school, K'naan had a concert in Minnesota, and people said he was related to magool and didn't want to attend his concert. He basically threw her under the bus and called her ignorant, he said he's not related to her, his family never met her and if they did they wouldn't condone what she did.

Nigga is quick to switch sides. He reminds me of Mr.Ilhan. :lolbron:

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
AUN

I like her songs on youtube, this is why entertainers should never take part in divisive politics. It can ruin ones career specially if the party u backed commit crimes.

:)

When you sing nationalistic songs during kacaan but sing songs calling for sectarian violence in the civil war. :mjlol:

She is an 'Inquisitive minded' person if you get what I mean.

Duchess

VIP
Magool, that sweaty, ape-looking why bring up her name...

Magool, I wish you were in hell but I doubt God throws apes into the hellfire.

tumblr_mwrbxzLL4l1smo4xdo1_400.gif

saywalahi

Xamar Living
He who controls the narrative wins. :gaasdrink:
you're comprehension skills are abysmal

the co-ed writer's message was "women are used as proxies" and that "the civil war brought out the worst in us"

not once did she bad mouth magool (AUN) she said "my grandma hated magool's clan" and that "magool hated our clan"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending