Am I The Only One??

Did you experience a good sense of somalinimo in your diaspora?

• Yes, I had somali friends who were close, I felt the community was pretty close

• No, barely if ever had Somali friends, scarcely any community feeling

Results are only viewable after voting.

SaMale

The only Somali in Arabia
I grew up in London right, I don't know if this is the same in the other diaspora but somalis there have very little sense of community, as in most have ajnabi best friends and in the schools couldn't care less if the guy their buddy's are jumping is Somali. Back in the emigration days during the nineties I know community was still lacking and because they came straight out of a war people stuck to family only out of distrust. I feel that still lingers in the new generation, us, who were born in the west. Is the same in you other diasporas??

Yami

Chief of Madow Rights Movement, E-Y18629 Cushite
The neighborhood down the street from mines growing up was full of Somalis. We used to always play baseball & soccer causing a ruckus wherever we decided to play. School life was mostly filled with ajnabis though all the Somalis around me went to Islamic/French schools.

Community rise our parents would hold neighborhood cook outs each time a new season came around. Our musjids held events for us to play sports in & hold gaming tournaments. There were also parties for whenever Somali/Djibouti/SL independence days came around.

Overall I felt very interlinked with other Somalis growing up. Recounting all of this gave me fond memories.

SaMale

The neighborhood down the street from mines growing up was full of Somalis. We used to always play baseball & soccer causing a ruckus wherever we decided to play. School life was mostly filled with ajnabis though all the Somalis around me went to Islamic/French schools.

Community rise our parents would hold neighborhood cook outs each time a new season came around. Our musjids held events for us to play sports in & hold gaming tournaments. There were also parties for whenever Somali/Djibouti/SL independence days came around.

Overall I felt very interlinked with other Somalis growing up.
Whooa, that's called a very strong sense of community what diaspora?

SaMale

Interesting, In the UK to this day, people openly insult each other based on I they are from the north of south, it's sad it's common probably more then in actual Somalia or land

Interesting, In the UK to this day, people openly insult each other based on I they are from the north of south, it's sad it's common probably more then in actual Somalia or land
British Muslims as a whole seem kooky altogether, no offense to you.

Yes, in fact I got into a fight twice backing up Somali guys, and go beat up badly one time because we were outnumbered, and the other time because dude was trained and I wasn't. To this day, people in our state come through for one another. I think it's because most of us came around the same time and have been here ever since.

SaMale

Yes, in fact I got into a fight twice backing up Somali guys, and go beat up badly one time because we were outnumbered, and the other time because dude was trained and I wasn't. To this day, people in our state come through for one another. I think it's because most of us came around the same time and have been here ever since.
Sounds right, what state?

Trending