Alternative Solution to Gaajada Somaaliyeed.

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
What it do folks!

This thread was inspired by Helios/RasCanjero's thread on Somalia's Agro & Water Capacity prospects. I want to share some ideas that I found to be relevant to Somalia.

For too long we have depended on politicians to fix Somalia's economy and the fact we do that is just ass backwards.
I used to be one of them until I saw Greening the Desert and then I realized we need to fix our weakest link, which is not security, believe it or not.
Our baadiye is our weakest link. Our only solution is restoring our landscapes by harvesting rainwater and sustainable agriculture known as Permaculture to feed ourselves, the xoolaha and pockets.
Water scarcity and just straight up gaajo thru poor nutrition is the reason why we are in such a bad shape, physically, mentally, psychologically, politically, and all the other -allys.

Illaahi kugu daarshe, how many tribes have lost people due to beef over biyaha ceelka and grazing lands? The same dhulka qaraxda can produce abundance if we think broader and more interconnected.
Laakin alxamdulillah, these problems are nothing but opportunities if you're the hustler type or the creative type.

I'm thinking how to replace imports and actually produce stuff we need, I'm just write some stuff down and share some links. Brainstorm and remix this idea as much as you want to, as long as the both parties benefit.

Rainwater harvesting/ Greening the desert - Sheekooyin about places that was dry like Puntland and how they turned their place into food forests. Tripling the income of the families, healthier people and most importantly, A STRONGER AND ENGAGED COMMUNITY.

Bamboo - Very versatile geed. Grows full sized in 3 years. Shades the ground and creates a cooler micro-climate so that you can grow fruits and herbs around it and between them. Beekeeping benefits from the consistent microclimate. Improves the soil and cleans the water thru it's roots. Doesn't require much water. Excellent soil-builder. Easy to clone and just endless opportunities to make some dough thru selling on Alibaba, strengthening our export sector, one farm at a time.
Uses: Paper, food, charcoal, fabric of cashmere softness, furniture, construction material, fencing, Kitchen utensils, just a bunch of stuff. The economy benefits if people copycat eachother on this.

bamboo.jpg

Bamboo-products-produced-in-Cameroon.png

This is dolla dolla signs, fam.

Vetiver grass

vetiver.png

vetiver2.jpg

These are just examples of many things we can grow that are drought tolerant.

I wanna hear y'all suggestions and how would you improve on this.

@RasCanjero @Helios and alla y'all

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
What it do folks!

This thread was inspired by Helios/RasCanjero's thread on Somalia's Agro & Water Capacity prospects. I want to share some ideas that I found to be relevant to Somalia.

For too long we have depended on politicians to fix Somalia's economy and the fact we do that is just ass backwards.
I used to be one of them until I saw Greening the Desert and then I realized we need to fix our weakest link, which is not security, believe it or not.
Our baadiye is our weakest link. Our only solution is restoring our landscapes by harvesting rainwater and sustainable agriculture known as Permaculture to feed ourselves, the xoolaha and pockets.
Water scarcity and just straight up gaajo thru poor nutrition is the reason why we are in such a bad shape, physically, mentally, psychologically, politically, and all the other -allys.

Illaahi kugu daarshe, how many tribes have lost people due to beef over biyaha ceelka and grazing lands? The same dhulka qaraxda can produce abundance if we think broader and more interconnected.
Laakin alxamdulillah, these problems are nothing but opportunities if you're the hustler type or the creative type.

I'm thinking how to replace imports and actually produce stuff we need, I'm just write some stuff down and share some links. Brainstorm and remix this idea as much as you want to, as long as the both parties benefit.

Rainwater harvesting/ Greening the desert - Sheekooyin about places that was dry like Puntland and how they turned their place into food forests. Tripling the income of the families, healthier people and most importantly, A STRONGER AND ENGAGED COMMUNITY.

Bamboo - Very versatile geed. Grows full sized in 3 years. Shades the ground and creates a cooler micro-climate so that you can grow fruits and herbs around it and between them. Beekeeping benefits from the consistent microclimate. Improves the soil and cleans the water thru it's roots. Doesn't require much water. Excellent soil-builder. Easy to clone and just endless opportunities to make some dough thru selling on Alibaba, strengthening our export sector, one farm at a time.
Uses: Paper, food, charcoal, fabric of cashmere softness, furniture, construction material, fencing, Kitchen utensils, just a bunch of stuff. The economy benefits if people copycat eachother on this.

View attachment 127286
View attachment 127287

This is dolla dolla signs, fam.

Vetiver grass

View attachment 127288
View attachment 127289

These are just examples of many things we can grow that are drought tolerant.

I wanna hear y'all suggestions and how would you improve on this.

@RasCanjero @Helios and alla y'all

Would be awesome if we could crowd fund a small project by partnering with local universities on the ground.

At the same time you have to consider what comes first; the chicken or the egg?

Do you wait to cultivate the bamboo first and then educate the people on the commercial uses for it?

Another option is to first import them from India or China and then turn it into highly valuable local products that would fund other education products.

This is the hard part since you first need to find a commercial use for it that's has a high demand within Somalia and is more economical than the other options since you need to import it from thousands of miles away.

Once the people see a use for it they'll see the margin benefits if they grow it themselves.

20% spent on shipping it from China means 20% profits plus whatever profits the growers in China made along with import duties.

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
Would be awesome if we could crowd fund a small project by partnering with local universities on the ground.

At the same time you have to consider what comes first; the chicken or the egg?

Do you wait to cultivate the bamboo first and then educate the people on the commercial uses for it?

Another option is to first import them from India or China and then turn it into highly valuable local products that would fund other education products.

This is the hard part since you first need to find a commercial use for it that's has a high demand within Somalia and is more economical than the other options since you need to import it from thousands of miles away.

Once the people see a use for it they'll see the margin benefits if they grow it themselves.

20% spent on shipping it from China means 20% profits plus whatever profits the growers in China made along with import duties.

Great question.

What im bout to say is just well-formulated mental masturbation so bear wit me

The education part would be handled by Social media via influencers such as Somal_memes, qafmemes. Ofcourse the material is in english so we are going to subtitle it or straight up Somali voice-overs. That's to spread awareness of pretty much anything we want.

I would suggest to invest in earthworks machineries to dig farm ponds. Water harvesting is the first step before planting anything. Plant vetiver and bamboos as an example of pioneer plants to cover the topsoil. Then grow fruits next to them and other plants to make herbal tea out of and also as food for bees and livestock by chopping them and give them to the animals.

All animals must be fenced or none of this will work.

Nurseries/Boarding schools should be opened to reproduce plants and to serve as educational facility/workshop to locals
Then collaborate with farmers by giving them first free plants and education in exchange to donate a part back to the nursery to give to other farmers. You see how this process goes. Uni students are welcomed to research and document the progress.

I'd also invest in opening agricultural boarding schools/gulag. no more uselessnimo, these dhaqancelis yutes and convicts need to know what sweat equity means thru free labor and training to become more productive members of society. Chain gang oo heesaha qaada caadi baan ka dhigilahaa dadkaan. The niggas who wanna act bad will be forced to dig ponds and roadtrenches with spoons. If they still rebel, we'll bun their big toes. Tough love is essential, somaalidu naxaaris ma yaqaanan.

The endgoal here is not just growing, but most importantly value addition. The vetiver can be used to feed the camels and other xoolo. Easy soilbuilding in sandy areas and works against erosion.

I can see it being grown from Galdogob ilaa Eyl(first vetiver to add carbon in the sand and then bamboo to shade). Imagine Naasa Hablood oo cagaar ah.

The mountainous regions would the first place to begin. Because rains hits there first and we want to slow it down from there before it turns into a destructive flood downstream.

Wherever there used to be rivers can within 4-5 years be all green and water, if Allah grants it.

Somalia is not a natural desert nation, it used to be savannas everywhere. We stripped the country to the bone because of our culture of looking for better grasses. We eat and leave, we don't produce, just take.
That cannot run.

The farmers, the businessmen, the students and local dugsiyo need to be under local alliances under a big umbrella organization. Sorta like how the Chinese Government work, but focused on boosting the rural economy from bottom to top. Value addition and eco-friendly land management. Imagine farmers charging tourists to ride camels in lush green places that they restored, juicebars selling the surplus that they made, gun ranges where they can shoot trees, good quality weed. Somalia would be a world class raaxo.

Most importantly also is that when people are meeting their nutritional intake, they tend to be happier people in general which leads to becoming more stress-tolerant and reducing the beef between 2 gaajo niggas

Bamboo's main job is to shade the ground from being radiated by the sun in order to minimize evaporation(which is also another big problem that we face) and we need to take advantage of that.
Just look here

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
I'd begin with making biochar products(for gasifiers , soil remediation, and soaps) and handicrafts.

I'd go on later with furniture making and small products like toothbrushes.

I'd go with that because of what would be the cheapest way to enter a value adding biz.

Great question.

The education part would be handled by Social media via influencers such as Somal_memes, qafmemes. Ofcourse the material is in english so we are going to subtitle it or straight up Somali voice-overs. That's to spread awareness of pretty much anything we want.

I would suggest to invest in earthworks machineries to dig farm ponds. Water harvesting is the first step before planting anything. Plant vetiver and bamboos as an example of pioneer plants to cover the topsoil. Then grow fruits next to them and other plants to make herbal tea out of and also as food for bees and livestock by chopping them and give them to the animals.

Nurseries/Boarding schools should be opened to reproduce plants and to serve as educational facility/workshop to locals
Then collaborate with farmers by giving them first free plants and education in exchange to donate a part back to the nursery to give to other farmers. You see how this process goes. Uni students are welcomed to research and document the progress.

I'd also invest in opening agricultural boarding schools/gulag. no more uselessnimo, these dhaqancelis yutes and convicts need to know what sweat equity means thru free labor and training to become more productive members of society. Chain gang oo heesaha qaada caadi baan ka dhigilahaa dadkaan. The niggas who wanna act bad will be forced to dig ponds and roadtrenches with spoons. If they still rebel, we'll bun their big toes. Tough love is essential, somaalidu naxaaris ma yaqaanan.

The endgoal here is not just growing, but most importantly value addition. The vetiver can be used to feed the camels and other xoolo. Easy soilbuilding in sandy areas and works against erosion.

I can see it being grown from Galdogob ilaa Eyl(first vetiver to add carbon in the sand and then bamboo to shade). Imagine Naasa Hablood oo cagaar ah.

The mountainous regions would the first place to begin. Because rains hits there first and we want to slow it down from there before it turns into a destructive flood downstream.

Wherever there used to be rivers can within 4-5 years be all green and water, if Allah grants it.

Somalia is not a natural desert nation, it used to be savannas everywhere. We stripped the country to the bone because of our culture of looking for better grasses. We eat and leave, we don't produce, just take.
That cannot run.

The farmers, the businessmen, the students and local dugsiyo need to be under local alliances under a big umbrella organization. Sorta like how the Chinese Government work, but focused on boosting the rural economy from bottom to top. Value addition and eco-friendly land management. Imagine farmers charging tourists to ride camels in lush green places that they restored, juicebars selling the surplus that they made, gun ranges where they can shoot trees, good quality weed. Somalia would be a world class raaxo.

Most importantly also is that when people are meeting their nutritional intake, they tend to be happier people in general which leads to becoming more stress-tolerant and reducing the beef between 2 gaajo niggas

Bamboo's main job is to shade the ground from being radiated by the sun in order to minimize evaporation(which is also another big problem that we face) and we need to take advantage of that.
Just look here

I laughed, i nodded, and i cried. You're talking real shit. You have got the basic idea down and you're excited. I want to know when you want to start this and how much do you estimate the cost to be.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Great question.

That cannot run.

Just look here

Yh definitely see a ton of benefits it could bring and the virtuous cycle in regards to the environment.

However if you really want something to happen you first need to take things one step a time.

Right now what the biggest commercial use for the plant if you import it right now from China?

You mentioned biochar but would you be able to add value to it and then market the end products economically?

If it doesn't make profit initially it would be hard to not only scale it up but persuade others to join to further spread it.

The moment you come up with a profitable business for it while still importing it initially you'll have thousands of copy cats which is what you want.

Let's go into the details.

1. What raw products do you plan to import?
2. How much does it cost on Alibaba including a shipping costs of $2,000/container to a Somali port.
3. How do you plan to add value to those raw products?
4. What's the costs of the machinery you need to pull this off? Again you can find the prices on Alibaba.
5. Finally what are the selling costs & sales price per unit, how does it fare in the market against other similar products in terms of quality and price.

You have to pick something with scale and isn't already ridiculously cheap like toothbrush alternatives and there needs to be a market for it already...

New markets are for later once you've shown the value of the raw product.

Only then can you grow them at scale along with others and build industries around them.

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
I laughed, i nodded, and i cried. You're talking real shit. You have got the basic idea down and you're excited. I want to know when you want to start this and how much do you estimate the cost to be.
My nigga:denzelnigga:

I dunno the cost, but I'd prepare 100-200K USD by myself. InshaAllah max 10 years.

Ofcourse I have to hustle halal on the side to make that happen.

The best thing is that, this is copycat-able and it's hard to be outcompeted on. We'll sell the surplus thru Alibaba.
Most likely, the local gobol will run your stock out.

Yo, what about starting this around IDP camps? Free labor in return for a bamboo yard, that's a deal

My nigga:denzelnigga:

I dunno the cost, but I'd prepare 100-200K USD by myself. InshaAllah max 10 years.

Ofcourse I have to hustle halal on the side to make that happen.

The best thing is that, this is copycat-able and it's hard to be outcompeted on. We'll sell the surplus thru Alibaba.
Most likely, the local gobol will run your stock out.

Yo, what about starting this around IDP camps? Free labor in return for a bamboo yard, that's a deal

Ten years is too long. I know someone who has a forestery degree and i have business connections and got some investments behind me. Instead of waiting to make all the initial investment yourself why not present it to investors or businessmen you know or your family or sub-clan knows. Or even big businessmen in somalia?

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
Yh definitely see a ton of benefits it could bring and the virtuous cycle in regards to the environment.

However if you really want something to happen you first need to take things one step a time.

Right now what the biggest commercial use for the plant if you import it right now from China?

You mentioned biochar but would you be able to add value to it and then market the end products economically?

If it doesn't make profit initially it would be hard to not only scale it up but persuade others to join to further spread it.

The moment you come up with a profitable business for it while still importing it initially you'll have thousands of copy cats which is what you want.

Let's go into the details.

1. What raw products do you plan to import?
2. How much does it cost on Alibaba including a shipping costs of $2,000/container to a Somali port.
3. How do you plan to add value to those raw products?
4. What's the costs of the machinery you need to pull this off? Again you can find the prices on Alibaba.
5. Finally what are the selling costs & sales price per unit, how does it fare in the market against other similar products in terms of quality and price.

You have to pick something with scale and isn't already ridiculously cheap like toothbrush alternatives and there needs to be a market for it already...

New markets are for later once you've shown the value of the raw product.

Only then can you grow them at scale along with others and build industries around them.

Top notch post right deya. I'm gonna save it to humble myself so I don't dance in la-la land

I haven't deeped it that much, It kinda dawned on me when I started to connect some dots by just watching Youtube. I gotta do some homework.

I'd import bamboos, teff grasses and vetiver from Ethiopia, these niggas been known about this. What works there could work for us.
The prices, Ion gotta clue, on that. But like you said, 1 step at a time.

I'd put money firstly on machineries, making some money by digging ponds for people.
Then put the money building a nursery, then i'd import the bamboos and stuff. I'd begin on my farm and then to next farm and so on and so forth.

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
Ten years is too long. I know someone who has a forestery degree and i have business connections and got some investments behind me. Instead of waiting to make all the initial investment yourself why not present it to investors or businessmen you know or your family or sub-clan knows. Or even big businessmen in somalia?

Fam, I can live with losing my own money, but I can't squander other people's hardworking money. And also, you know how unrealistic some somalis are, expecting that this is a get rich quick-scheme.

Besides, I need to verify myself before I can go run my mouth. I need local farmers to vouch for a nigga which will give me better leverage.

I'm seeing this as hybrid form of business and charity. I wanna be able to eat comfortably in my tuulo, but I don't want to be the only one.

Somalis don't like niggas who's pockets stands out from the crowd. I'm not intending to physically disturb our "gaajo-socialism" where you can find the bajaaj driver, the politician, the army nigga, and store owner chewing qaat together(which I like)

Last edited:
Fam, I can live with losing my own money, but I can't squander other people's hardworking money. And also, you know how unrealistic some somalis are, expecting that this is a get rich quick-scheme.

Besides, I need to verify myself before I can go run my mouth. I need local farmers to vouch for a nigga which will give me better leverage.

I'm seeing this as hybrid form of business and charity. I wanna be able to eat comfortably in my tuulo, but I don't want to be the only one.

Somalis don't like niggas who's pockets stands out from the crowd. I'm not intending to physically disturb our "gaajo-socialism" where you can find the bajaaj driver, the politician, the army nigga, and store owner chewing qaat together(which I like)

You shouldn't think like that. Other people's money is what makes you rich. Real businessmen know the risk involved and won't think its get rich quick scheme.
Instead of waiting for a long time, start now with some small money and see how it works.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Top notch post right deya. I'm gonna save it to humble myself so I don't dance in la-la land

I haven't deeped it that much, It kinda dawned on me when I started to connect some dots by just watching Youtube. I gotta do some homework.

I'd import bamboos, teff grasses and vetiver from Ethiopia, these niggas been known about this. What works there could work for us.
The prices, Ion gotta clue, on that. But like you said, 1 step at a time.

I'd put money firstly on machineries, making some money by digging ponds for people.
Then put the money building a nursery, then i'd import the bamboos and stuff. I'd begin on my farm and then to next farm and so on and so forth.

That's waaay to capital intensive.

Growing nurseries take ages and you need machinery, land and human resources.

Instead you can speed things along by importing the full grown poles and then using some cheap equipment worth $10,000 to build an assembly line to manufacture products in high demand in urban areas not farms.

Once you're able to proof product market fit you'll have investors and donators lining up for you a mile back to help with the domestic cultivation.

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Great question.

That cannot run.

Just look here
Very bright young man. It seems like there are few of us here.

As for me i'm focused on AgroForestry. Reforestation because we need plenty more to create evapotranspiration and keep the water in our soil.

We also need artificial lakes through dams and river restoration projects to make our rivers permanent in the north and in various other regions. If we do all this and limit grazing we can make sure the grass and trees survive for many years to come. Planting algae in rivers and streams will also help to clean them up and introducing fish species to the rivers will bring life to the surrounding soil as once they decay their nutrients will be recycled to the surrounding soil

We also need to use our god given solar energy to provide cheap irrigation for the land sustain farming practices for years to come.

BobSmoke

Flying over your heads
That's waaay to capital intensive.

Growing nurseries take ages and you need machinery, land and human resources.

Instead you can speed things along by importing the full grown poles and then using some cheap equipment worth $10,000 to build an assembly line to manufacture products in high demand in urban areas not farms.

Once you're able to proof product market fit you'll have investors and donators lining up for you a mile back to help with the domestic cultivation.

Very caqligal.
I'mma do my thorough research fam.:yacadiim:

Very bright young man. It seems like there are few of us here.

As for me i'm focused on AgroForestry. Reforestation because we need plenty more to create evapotranspiration and keep the water in our soil.

We also need artificial lakes through dams and river restoration projects to make our rivers permanent in the north and in various other regions. If we do all this and limit grazing we can make sure the grass and trees survive for many years to come. Planting algae in rivers and streams will also help to clean them up and introducing fish species to the rivers will bring life to the surrounding soil as once they decay their nutrients will be recycled to the surrounding soil

We also need to use our god given solar energy to provide cheap irrigation for the land sustain farming practices for years to come.

Muhfucking hit the nail on the head.

You caught my drift fluently :denzelnigga:

Yahya

2020 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Very caqligal.
I'mma do my thorough research fam.:yacadiim:

Muhfucking hit the nail on the head.

You caught my drift fluently :denzelnigga:
Been on the wave since 2017 bro. We just need every one to work on their local region and we'll go global in 10 yrs time.

Time for the odays to step aside. Us young gonna inherit this land, might as well put in the hard work now and reap the fruits later. I want my children to inherit beautiful land with lots of resources.

Built roads and pavements, nicely planned cities with unique architecture we design for ourselves and artificially created tourist locations. We also need archaeological work done on our land. We are the only ignorant ppl that don't want to explore our history and culture. Imagine if the other nations just left their land and ancient history unexplored and neglected.

:manny:

Trending