Af Jiido Vs Af Maay.

mohamedismail

Reewin. Lixda Gobol ee Maayland unii leh!
The diversity of the languages spoken in Somalia is incredible. Really debunks the notion many Somalis have of "One language, one people". Somalis must accept the diversity of this nation.

mohamedismail

Definitely people claim that Maay and Maxaa are mutually intelligible. Me as a Maay speaker cannot understand a word of Jiido. So it's defo another language and should be recognised and even studied.

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh
The diversity of the languages spoken in Somalia is incredible. Really debunks the notion many Somalis have of "One language, one people". Somalis must accept the diversity of this nation.
Sedentary people tend to develop their own language with less time unlike pastoralists (northern somalis mainly)
Hence why there's much different dialects in the south then North even tho somalis inhabited the north first.
Still a jiido autosomal will be no different than an eelay one or an abgaal one
And all the languages spoken natively in somalia like Af jiido, af tunni, af maay and af maxa tiri are all part of the larger Somaloid group
Not that much of diversity tbh.
Waa walalo melal is ka fug kala degay
But yes Some languages should be regonized like those we still homogeneous tho No to diversity

mohamedismail

Sedentary people tend to develop their own language with less time unlike pastoralists (northern somalis mainly)
Hence why there's much different dialects in the south then North even tho somalis inhabited the north first.
Still a jiido autosomal will be no different than an eelay one or an abgaal one
And all the languages spoken natively in somalia like Af jiido, af tunni, af maay and af maxa tiri are all part of the larger Somaloid group
Not that much of diversity tbh.
Waa walalo melal is ka fug kala degay
But yes Some languages should be regonized like those we still homogeneous tho No to diversity
I agree. I was speaking specifically about the diversity in Language not DNA. There is difference in DNA when it comes to Madowweyne and Banaadiris though. Diversity exists in that sense.

But the point is that a lot of Somalis dislike the idea of diversity especially in language. There should be recognition and also study of these languages.

I agree. I was speaking specifically about the diversity in Language not DNA. There is difference in DNA when it comes to Madowweyne and Banaadiris though. Diversity exists in that sense.

But the point is that a lot of Somalis dislike the idea of diversity especially in language. There should be recognition and also study of these languages.

Several of these languages/dialects are dying out or have few speakers <100k and considered endangered.

I know that KG is the only FMS with af-maay as it's official language, but what are the medium of instruction (schools) in the state? Do you learn maxaa tiri? Or just af-Maay? Can others choose to instead learn af-Tunni, af-Jiddu, af-Garre, af-Dabbare, Chimini etc.?

mohamedismail

Several of these languages/dialects are dying out or have few speakers <100k and considered endangered.

I know that KG is the only FMS with af-maay as it's official language, but what are the medium of instruction (schools) in the state? Do you learn maxaa tiri? Or just af-Maay? Can others choose to instead learn af-Tunni, af-Jiddu, af-Garre, af-Dabbare, Chimini etc.?
I think in schools they teach in Af Maxaa tiri. But there are efforts being done to change that.

In the future we might see the curriculum being taught in AF Maay. Also shops signs changing to Af Maay insha'Allah.

Somali_patriotic

Everything unuka leh

Yeah you're right some ignorant people will even tell you that somalis only speak maxa tiri

mohamedismail

Yeah you're right some ignorant people will even tell you that somalis only speak maxa tiri
Exactly. Somalis with that mindset and ignorance only increase division and hatred between the Somali people.

Imagine your whole langauges existence being denied. Your langauge is a apart of your identity.

But alx as time goes by this is changing. As more integration happens between somalis.

Exactly. Somalis with that mindset and ignorance only increase division and hatred between the Somali people.

Imagine your whole langauges existence being denied. Your langauge is a apart of your identity.

But alx as time goes by this is changing. As more integration happens between somalis.
Af maay is a language in Somali language not a dialect as our people think the common spoken language is the only one when in fact is part of a wider Somali languages.

mohamedismail

Af maay is a language in Somali language not a dialect as our people think the common spoken language is the only one when in fact is part of a wider Somali languages.
Agree. I believe its a language and Maay and Maxaa are both languages. Both equal languages.

Trending

Latest posts