Adelaide (Somali) woman accused of being Islamic State member faces trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
9915494-3x2-700x467.jpg

Photo: Zainab Abdirahman-Khalif was charged with knowingly being a member of a terrorist organisation. (Nine News)

Zainab Abdirahman-Khalif, 23, has pleaded not guilty to knowingly being a member of the Islamic State (IS) group between July 2016 and May 2017.

In his opening address, Commonwealth prosecutor Chris Winneke QC said at the time of the alleged offending, Ms Abdirahman-Khalif lived with her mother and two brothers at Mansfield Park, in Adelaide's north-west.

He said that in March 2016, she quit her diploma of science and technology at the University of South Australia, which she had been studying in pursuit of becoming a nurse, and decided to "follow a different path".

"The crown case is on July 13, 2016, unbeknown to her family and using her savings, she purchased over the internet a one-way ticket [from Adelaide] to Istanbul in Turkey … for departure the following day," Mr Winneke said.

"So on July 14, 2016, without telling her mother and brothers that she was leaving the country, with only hand luggage and very little funds … she set out for the airport."

The court heard she was detained prior to boarding and prevented from getting onto the flight.

"The crown case is the defendant, in leaving Australia and going to Turkey, was ultimately going to make contact with Islamic State and commence to live in territory held by Islamic State as a member of that society, and as a follower of the leader of that organisation," Mr Winneke said.

Dozens of videos found on accused's phone

Mr Winneke said Ms Abdirahman-Khalif was in communication with three young African women who carried out a bombing in Mombasa, Kenya, in September 2016, for which IS later claimed responsibility.

"It's not the crown's case that the defendant is in any way involved in the organisation or commission of any specific events at all," he said.

"But the crown does have evidence that suggests that the defendant had some knowledge that the event in Mombasa was going to occur," Mr Winneke said.

The court heard 378 audio files associated with IS were found on her phone, along with 125 videos from an IS media organisation, 62 of which contained extremist material including executions.

It heard there was also a photo on her phone of her in Islamic dress pointing to the ceiling, which is a pose associated with the group, and a video she had filmed of herself with an IS song playing in the background.

Jurors warned of evidence containing violence

Justice David Peek warned jurors they would be exposed to graphic and gruesome evidence from images and video footage found on the defendant's mobile phone.

"It contains a great deal of Islamic State propaganda, much military training, fighting, explosions … there are references to suicide bombers," he said.

"Wounded persons and dead bodies are seen in various states and positions, most are obviously adult males, but some may be women and children."

The jurors were told they would also see footage of captives being executed by knife, sword or firearm, but that the videos had been edited to stop just before the person's death.

"That material that is to be shown is both graphic and gruesome, and you will see things like blood, brain fragments, severed heads placed on bodies," Justice Peek said.

The court heard Ms Abdirahman-Khalif lived in refugee camps in Kenya until she was 13 years old and moved to Australia with her family, who are of Somalian origin, in 2009.

She studied at the Islamic College of South Australia until 2011 and completed Year 12 at Roma Mitchell Secondary College.

The trial is expected to run for four weeks and will hear evidence from a number of witnesses, including an academic expert in terrorist activities in the Middle East.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-27/adelaide-islamic-state-accused-terror-trial-begins/10168128

9915494-3x2-700x467.jpg

Photo: Zainab Abdirahman-Khalif was charged with knowingly being a member of a terrorist organisation. (Nine News)

Zainab Abdirahman-Khalif, 23, has pleaded not guilty to knowingly being a member of the Islamic State (IS) group between July 2016 and May 2017.

In his opening address, Commonwealth prosecutor Chris Winneke QC said at the time of the alleged offending, Ms Abdirahman-Khalif lived with her mother and two brothers at Mansfield Park, in Adelaide's north-west.

He said that in March 2016, she quit her diploma of science and technology at the University of South Australia, which she had been studying in pursuit of becoming a nurse, and decided to "follow a different path".

"The crown case is on July 13, 2016, unbeknown to her family and using her savings, she purchased over the internet a one-way ticket [from Adelaide] to Istanbul in Turkey … for departure the following day," Mr Winneke said.

"So on July 14, 2016, without telling her mother and brothers that she was leaving the country, with only hand luggage and very little funds … she set out for the airport."

The court heard she was detained prior to boarding and prevented from getting onto the flight.

"The crown case is the defendant, in leaving Australia and going to Turkey, was ultimately going to make contact with Islamic State and commence to live in territory held by Islamic State as a member of that society, and as a follower of the leader of that organisation," Mr Winneke said.

Dozens of videos found on accused's phone

Mr Winneke said Ms Abdirahman-Khalif was in communication with three young African women who carried out a bombing in Mombasa, Kenya, in September 2016, for which IS later claimed responsibility.

"It's not the crown's case that the defendant is in any way involved in the organisation or commission of any specific events at all," he said.

"But the crown does have evidence that suggests that the defendant had some knowledge that the event in Mombasa was going to occur," Mr Winneke said.

The court heard 378 audio files associated with IS were found on her phone, along with 125 videos from an IS media organisation, 62 of which contained extremist material including executions.

It heard there was also a photo on her phone of her in Islamic dress pointing to the ceiling, which is a pose associated with the group, and a video she had filmed of herself with an IS song playing in the background.

Jurors warned of evidence containing violence

Justice David Peek warned jurors they would be exposed to graphic and gruesome evidence from images and video footage found on the defendant's mobile phone.

"It contains a great deal of Islamic State propaganda, much military training, fighting, explosions … there are references to suicide bombers," he said.

"Wounded persons and dead bodies are seen in various states and positions, most are obviously adult males, but some may be women and children."

The jurors were told they would also see footage of captives being executed by knife, sword or firearm, but that the videos had been edited to stop just before the person's death.

"That material that is to be shown is both graphic and gruesome, and you will see things like blood, brain fragments, severed heads placed on bodies," Justice Peek said.

The court heard Ms Abdirahman-Khalif lived in refugee camps in Kenya until she was 13 years old and moved to Australia with her family, who are of Somalian origin, in 2009.

She studied at the Islamic College of South Australia until 2011 and completed Year 12 at Roma Mitchell Secondary College.

The trial is expected to run for four weeks and will hear evidence from a number of witnesses, including an academic expert in terrorist activities in the Middle East.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-27/adelaide-islamic-state-accused-terror-trial-begins/10168128
This is old news sxb

Update to the story.

Alleged Islamic State member admitted to being caught 'red handed' by police, court told
By court reporter Rebecca Opie
Updated about 4 hours agoTue 28 Aug 2018, 11:56pm

A woman accused of being part of the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group told police she was unaware of how images of beheadings ended up on her mobile phone, an Adelaide court has heard.

Zainab Abdirahman–Khalif, 23, is on trial in South Australia's Supreme Court after pleading not guilty to knowingly being a member of the Islamic State terrorist organisation between July 2016 and May 2017.

The court was told she was heard on a listening device, that was planted in her home, admitting she was caught "red handed" by police with a photo on her phone, although it was not specified what that particular photo depicted.

The court heard she was detained at Adelaide Airport in July 2016 after buying a one-way ticket online to fly from Adelaide to Istanbul.

It heard she took only carry-on luggage and $170 in savings, which the prosecution alleges was not enough to return home.

She was interviewed by detectives and placed under arrest for attempting to enter a declared area, but the court heard she was never charged with that offence and was released from custody the following morning.

Prosecutor Chris Winneke QC said police later searched her family's Mansfield Park home and planted listening devices.

On the second day of his opening address, Mr Winneke said that in September 2016, Ms Abdirahman–Khalif was recorded on a listening device talking to someone about police searching her home.

"She said: 'You know when they knocked on the front door, I have deleted the three, Telegram, Snapchat, Messenger. God loves me, praise is to be to God'," he said.

Mr Winneke said the defendant discussed deleting photos, books, history and video material and told the person she was taking to: "The men caught me red handed, the screenshot you sent me."

"The discussion involves uploading pictures in Telegram, writings in Arabic and others leaving countries using other people's identification to board a boat to Yemen," he said.

The court heard Ms Abdirahman–Khalif was interviewed by police detectives in February 2017.

"She said it was rubbish that she was a member of IS," Mr Winneke said.

"She did concede that she was aware that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was the leader of [IS].

"She didn't know how images of beheadings and the like got onto her mobile phone."

Jury played interview with counterterrorism officers

Mr Winneke said in a text conversation Ms Abdirahman-Khalif had described herself as "muwahideen", which was how members of IS referred to themselves.

"In a discussion concerning her being in Adelaide she wrote: 'Qadarallah, it was my destiny for me to be here sis … there are not a lot of muwahideen, just me'."

She was arrested and charged with knowingly being a member of a terrorist organisation in May 2017.

The jury was played an interview recording where Ms Abdirahman-Khalif can be heard telling counter-terrorism officers after her detainment at Adelaide Airport that she was traveling to Turkey for a holiday and to find aid work.

"I want to help, you know, I want to be part of aid workers," she said.

When asked if she knew of any aid organisations in Turkey she said she could not remember the name.

She said she had not contacted any aid organisations because she thought she would do that once she got there.

The court heard her parents were "shocked" when they were told she had been detained trying to leave the country because they thought she was at university.

Mr Winneke previously told the court Ms Abdirahman-Khalif had quit her studies at the University of South Australia to "follow a different path".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-28/court-told-islamic-state-accused-caught-red-handed/10174080

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
El

The only thing she has in her advantage is time, what will she achieve going to Syria and becoming a jihadi bride only to be killed?

YourBro

What makes you say that?
Just a hunch I suppose.

mrlog

VIP
@AussieHustler ninyo this is a clear case of entrapment.
It happens in the states daily.
These pigs park expensive cars and leave the keys in the ignition or on the roof.
They know poor KIDS on the block will be enticed to take the car for a joy ride.
They then catch them and ruin their lives as no one will ever hire a person with misdemeanours.

Have u noticed they never entrap lawyers or bankers?
Couse they knew them folks will hire a slick lawyer who will sue the police force.

Abti u seem like an intelligent fella.
What’s ur take

@AussieHustler ninyo this is a clear case of entrapment.
It happens in the states daily.
These pigs park expensive cars and leave the keys in the ignition or on the roof.
They know poor KIDS on the block will be enticed to take the car for a joy ride.
They then catch them and ruin their lives as no one will ever hire a person with misdemeanours.

Have u noticed they never entrap lawyers or bankers?
Couse they knew them folks will hire a slick lawyer who will sue the police force.

Abti u seem like an intelligent fella.
What’s ur take

mrlog

A great idea. Please, allow me to direct your wonderful entrapment manuscript into a box office hit movie. If you will let me, i will add few lines and delve back to her fornative years in a refugee camp and how a bunch of ASIO (Australia’s Secret Services) operatives have brainwashed her with jihadi philosophy, paid the family’s cost of living and then sponsored them to migrate to Australia. Once the family arrived in Adelaide (your former city), they continued her brainwashing process. When they realised she was ripe enough, the ASIO operatives who were handling her pretended to be ISIS (a fictitious terrorist organisation) members in Mombasa (fictitious city in the pacific) who carried out a terrorist operation. She was so brainwashed to the stage that she was turned into a zombie and one day, she was given a one way ticket to Turkey and a pocket money of $A170.00. She was caught at the immigration point of the airport and accused as a member of a banned terrorist organisation. The poor innocent refugee girl is now charged with crimes that she couldn’t fathom and didn’t commit and ASIO is getting all the accolades of stopping a naturalised Australian joining ISIS. A classical entrapment case of a young, innocent and naive Muslim girl.

Let’s make the picture mate. What do you reckon?

Last edited:
I meant time as in as much prison time as possible she's a lost case

El

My bad Sxb. I still give her the benefit of doubt. But given they wiretapped her conversations and they are using her own words as evidence, it doesn’t look good for her. She knows her chances of beating the charges are bleak and if she pleads guilty, she will get a lesser sentence than if she pleads not guilty and found otherwise. She is now fighting for her citizenship not to be revoked because if she pleads or found guilty to terrorism charges, her citizenship will be revoked and sent back. The “Kafir” country isn’t bad after all.

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
El

My bad Sxb. I still give her the benefit of doubt. But given they wiretapped her conversations and they are using her own words as evidence, it doesn’t look good for her. She knows her chances of beating the charges are bleak and if she pleads guilty, she will get a lesser sentence than if she pleads not guilty and found otherwise. She is now fighting for her citizenship not to be revoked because if she pleads or found guilty to terrorism charges, her citizenship will be revoked and sent back. The “Kafir” country isn’t bad after all.
This is probably the most objective perspective on her overall situation. I concur.

Muji

VIP
I’ll be making dua that her citizenship is revoked. She wanted to go to an Arab war zone where she could marry an Arab terrorist and bear him kids. She can do the same thing in Somalia but for an ashy Abdi. It seems like a happy compromise to me.

I’ll be making dua that her citizenship is revoked. She wanted to go to an Arab war zone where she could marry an Arab terrorist and bear him kids. She can do the same thing in Somalia but for an ashy Abdi. It seems like a happy compromise to me.

Knowles

How do you know that she would’ve married an Arab? There are many different ethnicities of jihadists in Syria including Somali men. Please, let’s not derail every thread into ethnic and racial bashing.

mrlog

VIP
mrlog

A great idea. Please, allow me to direct your wonderful entrapment manuscript into a box office hit movie. If you will let me, i will add few lines and delve back to her fornative years in a refugee camp and how a bunch of ASIO (Australia’s Secret Services) operatives have brainwashed her with jihadi philosophy, paid the family’s cost of living and then sponsored them to migrate to Australia. Once the family arrived in Adelaide (your former city), they continued her brainwashing process. When they realised she was ripe enough, the ASIO operatives who were handling her pretended to be ISIS (a fictitious terrorist organisation) members in Mombasa (fictitious city in the pacific) who carried out a terrorist operation. She was so brainwashed to the stage that she was turned into a zombie and one day, she was given a one way ticket to Turkey and a pocket money of $A170.00. She was caught at the immigration point of the airport and accused as a member of a banned terrorist organisation. The poor innocent refugee girl is now charged with crimes that she couldn’t fathom and didn’t commit and ASIO is getting all the accolades of stopping a naturalised Australian joining ISIS. A classical entrapment case of a young, innocent and naive Muslim girl.

Let’s make the picture mate. What do you reckon?

Ninyo maskiin baa tahay walle.
Cawskaaga iska daaq adeer.

These Gaalo awliyo mood.
Did u know that a research department in the American gov conducted secret experiments in Guatemala whereby they infected the local population with STD on purpose for research?
Abti even them Hollywood box office hits don’t seem this fictional.

@Geeljire sanbuur @Spiderman @Kudhufo Kadhaqaq @Knowles please edumacate this dude

Ninyo maskiin baa tahay walle.
Cawskaaga iska daaq adeer.

These Gaalo awliyo mood.
Did u know that a research department in the American gov conducted secret experiments in Guatemala whereby they infected the local population with STD on purpose for research?
Abti even them Hollywood box office hits don’t seem this fictional.

@Geeljire sanbuur @Spiderman @Kudhufo Kadhaqaq @Knowles please edumacate this dude

mrlog

Abti, ma waxaad na leedahay kuwa Syria tegay wiil iyo gabdho was been? Have you seen the Somali father from Norway whose two daughters went there and he we went there to persuade them to come home but failed? How about those Somali girls from Britain who successfully made to Syria as jihadi brides? Are they all fake and a CIA Psych Op? Abti, caruurta aad Adelaide aga soo tagtey la soco xaalkooda.

mrlog

VIP
mrlog

Abti, ma waxaad na leedahay kuwa Syria tegay wiil iyo gabdho was been? Have you seen the Somali father from Norway whose two daughters went there and he we went there to persuade them to come home but failed? How about those Somali girls from Britain who successfully made to Syria as jihadi brides? Are they all fake and a CIA Psych Op? Abti, caruurta aad Adelaide aga soo tagtey la soco xaalkooda.

Maya Sxb laskin waa entrapment.
It’s like meeting @Geeljire sanbuur at his local mosque and seeing him depressed couse @yaskaaa rejected him and he also got F’s in high school.
His half sister also snitched on him.
An undercover Fed can manipulate him by sayin u can be a hero in Muslim lands by doing XYZ.
They will also show him pics of fake jihadi brides in Raqqa with a huge ass like Niki Minaj but with indho-shareer.
They would then get him to steal his Hooyo’s Hagbad so that he can send it to Syria.
They then use that to fruck his life.

Abti waad hurudaa, wake up and smell the shaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.