Aboriginal Australian folk tales

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
Bunyip

Bunyip_1890.jpg

According to accounts from various people it resembled something ranging from a seal to a dog. It's a mythical creature said to lurk in swamps, billabongs, creeks, riverbeds, and waterholes

Yow

220px-Yowie-statue-Kilcoy-Queensland.jpeg

The yowie is usually described as a hairy and ape-like creature standing upright at between 2.1 m (6 ft 11 in) and 3.6 m (12 ft).[5] The yowie's feet are described as much larger than a human's,[6] but alleged yowie tracks are inconsistent in shape and toe number,[7] and the descriptions of yowie foot and footprints provided by yowie witnesses are even more varied than those of bigfoot.[8] The yowie's nose is described as wide and flat.[9][10]

Behaviourally, some report the yowie as timid or shy.[6] Others describe the yowie as sometimes violent or aggressive.[11]

The natives of Australia ... believe in ... [the] YAHOO ... This being they describe as resembling a man ... of nearly the same height, ... with long white hair hanging down from the head over the features ... the arms as extraordinarily long, furnished at the extremities with great talons, and the feet turned backwards, so that, on flying from man, the imprint of the foot appears as if the being had travelled in the opposite direction. Altogether, they describe it as a hideous monster of an unearthy character and ape-like appearance.[12]

Muldjewangk

The Muldjewangk is a water-creature in Australian Aboriginal mythology that inhabited the Murray River, particularly Lake Alexandrina. It was used as a deterrent for Aboriginal children who wished to play near the riverside after dark. Sometimes they are portrayed as evil merfolk (half man half fish), or times as a gargantuan monster. It is also inconsistent whether there are many of the creatures, or a single "The Muldjewangk".

(It doesn't actually have a artistic depiction)

Yukon_Niner

VIP
Apparently the aborigines had oral tales of megafauna from thousands of years ago so this makes it even more interesting now add in the fact they use to have huge creatures roaming around. Their folklore could be descriptions and tales of the animals and plants that use to be there.

Imagine living in Australia 40'000 years ago. The stuff you'd see would be amazing.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
Apparently the aborigines had oral tales of megafauna from thousands of years ago so this makes it even more interesting now add in the fact they use to have huge creatures roaming around. Their folklore could be descriptions and tales of the animals and plants that use to be there.

Imagine living in Australia 40'000 years ago. The stuff you'd see would be amazing.
Oral stories from 40k years ago ?:birdman:

Yukon_Niner

VIP
Oral stories from 40k years ago ?:birdman:
Hold on thats just something I remembered from an article that may have been remembered wrongly, yes this is my fault and I should have checked before posting:whoa:

If it is true then wowwee

What if some of these creatures they speak of were real but became extinct (obviously without the exaggerated features mentioned). This is if these folklores are really that old. But then again evidence of their fossils would have proved their existence...

Idk don't take me seriously lol but this is interesting though.

Octavian

Hmm
VIP
this isn't something new old niggas got some weird animals people or plants in their stories its like when people used dig for gold in the desert and once they found some dead elephant corpse they thought that it some sort of giant

Yukon_Niner

VIP
What if some of these creatures they speak of were real but became extinct (obviously without the exaggerated features mentioned). This is if these folklores are really that old. But then again evidence of their fossils would have proved their existence...

Idk don't take me seriously lol but this is interesting though.
Yep that's what I thought too

Zaglossus hacketti was a sheep-sized echidna uncovered in Mammoth Cave in Western Australia, and is the largest monotreme so far uncovered.

• Diprotodon optatum is not only the largest-known species of diprotodontid, but also the largest-known marsupial to ever exist. Approximately 3 m (10 ft) long and 2 m (7 ft) high at the shoulder and weighing up to 2,780 kg (6,130 lb), it resembled a giant wombat. It is the only marsupial known, living or extinct, to have conducted seasonal migration.[24]
  • Zygomaturus trilobus was a smaller (bullock-sized, about 2 m (7 ft) long by 1 m (3 ft) high) diprotodontid that may have had a short trunk. It appears to have lived in wetlands, using two fork-like incisors to shovel up reeds and sedges for food.

All of these would look like weird giants to us today. Those myths and folktales could be based on real animals since there was an overlap with when humans first got there and how long the megafauna went without extinction.

Procoptodon goliah (the giant short-faced kangaroo) is the largest-known kangaroo to have ever lived. It grew 2–3 metres (7–10 feet) tall, and weighed up to 230 kg (510 lb).

Imagine a 2-3 metre tall kangaroo? Absolute monster

Yep that's what I thought too

Zaglossus hacketti was a sheep-sized echidna uncovered in Mammoth Cave in Western Australia, and is the largest monotreme so far uncovered.

• Diprotodon optatum is not only the largest-known species of diprotodontid, but also the largest-known marsupial to ever exist. Approximately 3 m (10 ft) long and 2 m (7 ft) high at the shoulder and weighing up to 2,780 kg (6,130 lb), it resembled a giant wombat. It is the only marsupial known, living or extinct, to have conducted seasonal migration.[24]
  • Zygomaturus trilobus was a smaller (bullock-sized, about 2 m (7 ft) long by 1 m (3 ft) high) diprotodontid that may have had a short trunk. It appears to have lived in wetlands, using two fork-like incisors to shovel up reeds and sedges for food.

All of these would look like weird giants to us today. Those myths and folktales could be based on real animals since there was an overlap with when humans first got there and how long the megafauna went without extinction.

Procoptodon goliah (the giant short-faced kangaroo) is the largest-known kangaroo to have ever lived. It grew 2–3 metres (7–10 feet) tall, and weighed up to 230 kg (510 lb).

Imagine a 2-3 metre tall kangaroo? Absolute monster

Who would have thought?
:leon:

There seems to be a little truth to everything, but I would have dreaded living in those times with animals that big.

and the feet turned backwards, so that, on flying from man, the imprint of the foot appears as if the being had travelled in the opposite direction.
:what1: unironically tried to wrap my head around the mechanics of how that would even work out for a good minute before I gave up :mjlol:
How do you roll your feet without your kneecaps also on the opposite side? What about the hip joints?:mindblown:
Would be more economical to just walk/run backwards and pull off a Kriss Kross if you ask me
giphy.gif

interesting folklore tho :nvjpqts:
:kanyehmm:

Trending