Abaaraha; Somalia should have Wasaarad/Ministry of Cloud seeding, if not then NGO solely for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is cloud seeding,

Cloud seeding is a form of weather modification, a way of changing the amount or type of precipitation that falls from clouds, by dispersing substances into the air that serve as cloud condensation or ice nuclei, which alter the microphysical processes within the cloud. The usual intent is to increase precipitation (rain or snow), but hail and fog suppression are also widely practiced in airports.

The most widely used rain-making technique is probably cloud seeding, which involves priming clouds with particles of silver iodide dispersed by airplanes. (scientists call this weather-modification) Once those silver iodide particles make their way into a ripe cloud, they collide with drops of supercooled water and form ice; the ice then falls to the ground, melting along the way. Despite its dubious reputation, new science suggests that under the right circumstances, cloud seeding does indeed work.

For more than half a century scientists have experimented with squeezing more water out of clouds and dumping that priceless H2O on the parched earth. Most have failed, or at least produced inconclusive results, but a mounting body of evidence now suggests that if done properly, cloud seeding can be effective.

Airplanes aren’t the only way to seed clouds. China's massive weather-modification program includes a battery of 5,000 rocket launchers, which fire particles into puffy clouds in attempt to draw rain.

In nearly all other cases, tiny grains of silver iodide are used as seeds. But the National Center for Atmospheric Research has successfully used a mixture of sodium, magnesium and calcium chloride, and it appears this type of seeding works better than silver iodide in drought stricken areas.

In Abu Dhabi, a company called Meteo Systems is attempting to pull rain from the sky with electricity. The theory is that electrified, umbrella-shaped towers can send negatively charged particles into the air, increasing the chance that supercooled droplets will collide with freezing nuclei, thus becoming rain. Experts, however, are highly skeptical.

French winemakers and other agriculturists have long used hail cannons to try to save their fruit from storm damage. Every few seconds an explosion in the cannon’s lower chamber sends a loud boom skyward; the theory is that the resulting shock waves will break up the ice before it reaches the ground, saving the crop from hail but providing the much needed rain.

upload_2017-4-19_20-16-50.jpeg

300px-Cloud_Seeding.svg.png

300px-Cloudseedingimagerevised.jpg

220px-Cessna_210_Hagelflieger_Detail.jpg

275px-VHLEM.JPG

Genie

The last suugo bender
I've heard of this , but unfortunately this is the least of their priorities mate if they even have priorities over there :abuxyga:

Genie

The last suugo bender
What's the point of forcing clouds to rain if all the water will just go straight into the ocean?

Not all , and the whole point of cloud seeding is promoting rain in a certain area , so it might not even be near the ocean.

Not all , and the whole point of cloud seeding is promoting rain in a certain area , so it might not even be near the ocean.
The problem isn't really the lack of rain as much as how we make use of the rain we do get naturally.

Whenever it rains the water fills up dry river beds in the interior and flows all the way to the red sea/ Indian ocean.

It would be better to use that money to build dams and wells in these areas. It's a waste of money to seed clouds when we aren't even able to keep the rain water for domestic use.

Genie

The last suugo bender
The problem isn't really the lack of rain as much as how we make use of the rain we do get naturally.

Whenever it rains the water fills up dry river beds in the interior and flows all the way to the red sea/ Indian ocean.

It would be better to use that money to build dams and wells in these areas. It's a waste of money to seed clouds when we aren't even able to keep the rain water for domestic use.

My concern was mainly ip north somaliland and puntland regions where its very dry even when it rains , . But yeah your right down south they have quiet a lot to work with , its just nacasnimo

My concern was mainly ip north somaliland and puntland regions where its very dry even when it rains , . But yeah your right down south they have quiet a lot to work with , its just nacasnimo
I'm talking about the north :icon lol:

The south is fine. They have 2 rivers that are filled with water all year long.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP

Caqli xumo ayaa ina dilaysa :francis:
If we don't have the $ to build huge dams we need a short term techniques on ways to harvest rain water. But seriously the one major thing that'll forever hold back our people is the mentality of waiting for the govt to do something about it, "We (diaspora) need to take part in offering solutions, with the help of the locals and self-help initiatives we can do so much more".

Caqli xumo ayaa ina dilaysa :francis:
If we don't have the $ to build huge dams we need a short term techniques on ways to harvest rain water. But seriously the one major thing that'll forever hold back our people is the mentality of waiting for the govt to do something about it, "We (diaspora) need to take part in offering solutions, with the help of the locals and self-help initiatives we can do so much more".
Honestly all it takes is 10 men with shovels and cement to make a decent sand dam.

The people can pool the money themselves. It doesn't cost that much at all.

Hemaal

VIP
Honestly all it takes is 10 men with shovels and cement to make a decent sand dam.

The people can pool the money themselves. It doesn't cost that much at all.

But how would they even know what a Sand dam is if we don't step in & take part in making a difference. I'm 90% sure the only thing you'll need to buy is the cement, the farmers will do the work free of charge if it benefits them for the greater good. :damedamn:

But how would they even know what a Sand dam is if we don't step in & take part in making a difference. I'm 90% sure the only thing you'll need to buy is the cement, the farmers will do the work free of charge if it benefits them for the greater good. :damedamn:
Are you studying engineering? Maybe we can get a bunch of engineering students together to go and build dams and wells during the summer break.

Hemaal

VIP
Are you studying engineering? Maybe we can get a bunch of engineering students together to go and build dams and wells during the summer break.

Yeaah, I'm doing telecommunications but we very familiar with the subject since my father did environmental & botany studies. That would be a great idea walaahi.

Yeaah, I'm doing telecommunications but we very familiar with the subject since my father did environmental & botany studies. That would be a great idea walaahi.

As a fellow engineer i would join you guys but we ain't from the same regions lol

But its good to take initiative and bring about changes rather than waiting for someone else to do it

Is cloud seeding the same thing as the chem trails. Because If so they are already doing that in Somalia. I seen long white lines across the sky.

Come help us develop our regions and we'll help develop yours :siilaanyosmile:

Walaahi Im tempted, Somaliland does seem safe, as opposed to Mogadishu :kanyehmm:

But then again my expertise lies in Electrical&Computer Engineering
I have next to no knowledge of Sustainable,Renewable Energy, Strucural Engineering :holeup:

Seems like a fun project tho, what type of engineering are you ?

Walaahi Im tempted, Somaliland does seem safe, as opposed to Mogadishu :kanyehmm:

But then again my expertise lies in Electrical&Computer Engineering
I have next to no knowledge of Sustainable,Renewable Energy, Strucural Engineering :holeup:

Seems like a fun project tho, what type of engineering are you ?
Civil/Structural Engineering :westbrookswag:

Who knows in the future we could expand to other development projects.

First step water resource management, next solar lighting distribution or whatever. The sky is the limit sxb :rejoice:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending