A tribute to Sumaya Dalmar. RIP ABAAYO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been three years since you were taken from us. Abaayo I hope you are living it up in heaven. The culprits shall face judgement. You were a light for the Somali LGBTQ community in Canada. You were loved by many Abaayo. I hope your senseless murder brings more hope and prosperity to the Somali Canadian LGBTQ community.

RIP ABAAYO.

Sumaya Ysl death: Toronto police investigate death of young Somali trans woman in Canada

Also known by the surname Dalmar, Sumaya was well-known in the city's LGBT community and the subject of a documentary film challenging perceptions of trans Muslim women

blank.gif

Click to follow
The Independent US
sumaya-dalmar.jpg

An image of Sumaya Dalmar posted to the Facebook page in her memory Facebook
Police in Canada are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a young transgender Muslim woman after the news that she had been found dead prompted a remarkable response via social media.

Sumaya Dalmar, also known by the name Sumaya Ysl, was 26 years old and an active member of both Toronto’s LGBT and Somali communities, the National Post reported.

Her death was first mentioned in a post on Twitter late on Monday, saying she was a “Somali trans woman murdered in Toronto”.

That message has since been shared more than 3,000 times, while Facebook and blog posts relating to Ms Dalmar’s death have received tens of thousands of shares and interactions.

public

Sumaya's friends described her as 'a bold, brave and brilliant young woman' (Facebook)
Toronto Police said that they would not normally issue a public appeal or release details of an incident in a case of a suspected “sudden death” where there was no initial evidence of homicide.

But with the backdrop of shocking statistics on violence against the trans community in North America and amid all the online speculation, police issued a statement on Facebook saying officers “are conducting a thorough investigation”.

Using the hashtag adopted by many members of the public, officers said the statement came “in response to concerns and questions regarding #SumayaYsl”.

View image on Twitter

Toronto Police

✔@TorontoPolice

https://twitter.com/TorontoPolice/status/570325060747202561

In response to questions/concerns regarding #SumayaYsl, please read this post from our Facebook page ^mg

4:51 PM - Feb 24, 2015
Twitter Ads info and privacy

It said a woman “was found unresponsive and pronounced dead at the scene” at an address in Toronto’s east end. Police added that an autopsy had been inconclusive but stressed: “At this time, we have no evidence to indicate the death is suspicious. If the investigation leads us to believe otherwise, we will provide an update.”

A police spokesperson told the National Post that the release of information came in direct response to the social media outcry. He said: “We certainly are sensitive to the relationship between the Toronto Police Service and trans communities. We’ve worked very hard over the last little while to improve that relationship.”

boqor riya.@hausofriya

https://twitter.com/hausofriya/status/570078396417486849

#JusticeForSumayaYsl #JusticeForSumayaYsl #JusticeForSumayaYsl #JusticeForSumayaYsl #JusticeForSumayaYsl

12:30 AM - Feb 24, 2015
Twitter Ads info and privacy

In 2012 Ms Dalmar was the subject of a short documentary and photography exhibition by the award-winning Somali-Canadian artist Abdi Osman. It described her as undergoing speech therapy training and being “actively involved in the transgender community”.

“Born in Somalia, she migrated with her family to Canada at the age of 3 and began her transition in 2011,” it said. “Sumaya comes from an Islamic background which made it more difficult to come out to her mother as transgendered.”

A Facebook page in Ms Dalmar’s memory has been set up and a service “in celebration of her life” will take place on the evening of 3 March. It described her as “a bold, brave and brilliant young woman who loved her friends fiercely and whose tenacity to be the best version of herself inspired us all.”

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
I seriously think @lone works for the FBI, and he's trying to collect info on homophobic Somalis. I wouldn't be surprised if he rounded us up.

:wowsweat:

SumMo

very lowkey
Even tho I am against this LGBTQF+5WHZG, I must admit this saddens me.. No one has the right to take a life. It’s unjust, cowardly and cruel!

I hope Allah(swt) forgives him for his public sins and still allows him entrance to Jannah. :i83dwbv:

KREAM

"Can you bring equilibrium?"
Even tho I am against this LGBTQF+5WHZG, I must admit this saddens me.. No one has the right to take a life. It’s unjust, cowardly and cruel!

I hope Allah(swt) forgives him for his public sins and still allows him entrance to Jannah. :i83dwbv:

That really sums up how I feel too walaal. I don't condone the lifestyle but we can't go around taking lives.

How come Muslims are the most sinful yet they tend to condemn fellow human beings.

Matthew 7:1-5
7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

SumMo

very lowkey
Look at all the hate from Xaliimos

Ayan Aleeel2 years ago
Are you fucking kidding me... what a beautiful soul are you talking about He is gonna burn in hell inchaAllah

Sagal Hassan
11 months ago
we are very glad he is enjoying his place in hell

Sagal Hassan
11 months ago
we Somalis are glad she is gone

These comments are actually more unislamic than his lifestyle. Oh, the irony.

Wishing hellfire upon someone? Wallahi, how low can people sink? Bisinka. These are the very same people who will beg for Allah’s(swt) mercy and forgiveness on the day of judgment.

What he did was haram, and no one can dispute that. But it does not give us a free pass to wish hellfire on him! Did these people forget how much Allah(swt) loves and values kindness? Subhana’Allah. Our Lord is watching down on us with pure disgust.. (May He have mercy upon us!)

These hateful comments made me cry real tears, and I am one of the biggest opponents of the lgtbq!

It shattered my heart.

Please: If you have any ounce of deen in you, make dua for him, so that Allah(swt) can forgive his public sins. He has a mother, a father, siblings, etc..

No matter how much you feel like his lifestyle was haram, don’t wish hellfire om him! For the love of Allah(swt); pray for him!

So that he will be forgiven and can unite with his family in Jannah.. (I wish this for all of us, amiin!)

BBDAA90D-CD5F-4E83-B673-D54F0643D727.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.