11 Years Old, a Mom, and Pushed to Marry Her Rapist in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemaal

Jet life till my next life
VIP
When she was a scrawny 11-year-old, Sherry Johnson found out one day that she was about to be married to a 20-year-old member of her church who had raped her.

“It was forced on me,” she recalls. She had become pregnant, she says, and child welfare authorities were investigating — so her family and church officials decided the simplest way to avoid a messy criminal case was to organize a wedding.

“My mom asked me if I wanted to get married, and I said, ‘I don’t know, what is marriage, how do I act like a wife?’” Johnson remembers today, many years later. “She said, ‘Well, I guess you’re just going to get married.’”

So she was. A government clerk in Tampa, Fla., refused to marry an 11-year-old, even though this was legal in the state, so the wedding party went to nearby Pinellas County, where the clerk issued a marriage license. The license (which I’ve examined) lists her birth date, so officials were aware of her age.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/...as-forced-on-me-child-marriage-in-the-us.html

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/...as-forced-on-me-child-marriage-in-the-us.html

When she was a scrawny 11-year-old, Sherry Johnson found out one day that she was about to be married to a 20-year-old member of her church who had raped her.

“It was forced on me,” she recalls. She had become pregnant, she says, and child welfare authorities were investigating — so her family and church officials decided the simplest way to avoid a messy criminal case was to organize a wedding.

“My mom asked me if I wanted to get married, and I said, ‘I don’t know, what is marriage, how do I act like a wife?’” Johnson remembers today, many years later. “She said, ‘Well, I guess you’re just going to get married.’”

So she was. A government clerk in Tampa, Fla., refused to marry an 11-year-old, even though this was legal in the state, so the wedding party went to nearby Pinellas County, where the clerk issued a marriage license. The license (which I’ve examined) lists her birth date, so officials were aware of her age.

Who'd thought this would happen in the nation that leads humanity into a free world.

Human

Bellum omnium contra omnes
I swear some 'religious' Christian figures are freaks.

Apparently, they do shit like this all the time. Disgusting little shits

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
Every society has their stupid people, this just proves America isn't exempt from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending