“They are among the poorest, worst-educated and least-employed in Britain.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are among the poorest, worst-educated and least-employed in Britain. In a country where other refugees have flourished, why do Somalis do so badly?”
‘’nearly 4,000 Somalis, 73% live in households on benefits. More than 50% of British Somalis rent from local councils, the highest proportion of any foreign-born population. ”
“Education looks an unlikely escape route. Overcrowded houses mean children have nowhere to do their homework. In 2010-11 around 33% of Somali children got five good GCSEs, the exams taken at 16, compared with 59% of Bangladeshi pupils and 78% of Nigerian ones. Parents unable to speak English struggle. They see their children move up a year at school and assume they are doing well (in Somalia poor performers are held back). Their offspring, roped in as translators, are in no hurry to disabuse them.”
“This cocktail of poverty and unemployment dogs Somalis elsewhere too. In 2009 they were the least-employed group in Denmark. The Norwegian government is so worried about its Somali community it wants research done on their plight. Even discounting such factors as religion, age and experience, compared with other black Africans in Britain, Somalis face an “ethnic penalty” when job-hunting. Their disadvantages are clear. But Britain is rightly perceived as a country in which it is relatively easy to set up businesses; it also offers the hope of a warm welcome with its large Somali and Muslim population. This should bode well for Somalis.”

an Economist article dated in 2013 claims that we are the worst immigrants group in the UK. Its shows that we lack in all areas in education, employment etc...
It’s a veru interesing read
https://www.economist.com/news/brit...her-immigrants-what-holds-them-back-road-long

Ths article has been quoted a few times in far right publications
What does sspot think about the credibility of this article?

World

VIP
These racist alt rights need to stop making up their own figures. Majority of Somalis I know are in university forget about GCSE’s

7FC61E53-89EF-481E-B3B2-CE0550C0442B.jpeg

For example, 60 % of Somali students in Lambeth school got 5 A*-C including English and Maths which is just above the national average.

Last edited:
These racist alt rights need to stop making up their own figures. Majority of Somalis I know are in university forget about GCSE’s

View attachment 38730

For example, 60 % of Somali students in Lambeth school got 5 A*-C including English and Maths which is just above the national average.

That's only in one council not reflective of the whole country.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
Generally speaking, Somalis are doing badly. Although, i feel like they are doing ok in some places. Pretty much all my cousins in the US are in university doing well for themselves. Anecdotal, but interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending