why do white people think somali sounds like arabic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had somali mistaken for arabic

It's because white people are ignorant af :drakekidding: They think Hindi and Persian sounds like Arabic too. They see a Muslim and automatically think 'Arab'.

I remember when I was watching zero dawn thirty they had this scene set in pakistan and all these pakistanis were speaking in arabic instead of urdu :chrisfreshhah: One would've thought that the person in charge of the movie would have bothered fact checking the language of the location :drakelaugh:

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
I've never had somali mistaken for arabic

I remember when I was watching zero dawn thirty they had this scene set in pakistan and all these pakistanis were speaking in arabic instead of urdu :chrisfreshhah: One would've thought that the person in charge of the movie would have bothered fact checking the language of the location :drakelaugh:
How does an error that big get past the writers :russ:
There's no way they didn't have a single person there that knew that people from a country in the Indian Subcontinent don't speak Arabic :mjlol:

How does an error that big get past the writers :russ:
There's no way they didn't have a single person there that knew that people from a country in the Indian Subcontinent don't speak Arabic :mjlol:

Remember Black Hawk Dawn? The 'Somali' extras speaking 'somali' :mjlol:

Last edited:

VixR

Veritas
White people I've met don't even know Somali is a language lol
This is my experience, and not just with White ppl.

I started a new job recently, and a Filipino and Native American lady were complimenting me and asking my origins yesterday.

When I told them, the Filipino lady asked if I speak Arabic, and mind you there was nothing on me to identify as of Muslim background or anything.

They don't know there's such a thing as a Somali language, though not sure why the go-to is Arabic.

This is my experience, and not just with White ppl.

I started a new job recently, and a Filipino and Native American lady were complimenting me and asking my origins yesterday.

When I told them, the Filipino lady asked if I speak Arabic, and mind you there was nothing on me to identify as of Muslim background or anything.

They don't know there's such a thing as a Somali language, though not sure why the go-to is Arabic.

Whyyyyy did they assume you'd speak Arabic then haha, i wonder

And yeah not only whites. I've had times where I've spoken to Africans who didn't know Somali was a language either. One African guy at my old work place didn't even know Somalia was a place

That doesnt make them close
If you mean common root like ancestor then you are corrwct
But common root like words then no i dont think so, there are many languages in afro asiatic also

Of course there are many shared words that date back before the split of proto-Somali and proto-Arabic. Just like there's a lot of shared root words between Farsi/Hundu and Modern European languages like English and French. For example, father and brother are the same in English and as in Farsi. For similar reasons, Ab in Somalis meaning origin or father shares root with the Arabic Abu. It's not a coincidence! There's no good reason to think Somali/Arabic is any different than all other languages that share a common root.

Of course there are many shared words that date back before the split of proto-Somali and proto-Arabic. Just like there's a lot of shared root words between Farsi/Hundu and Modern European languages like English and French. For example, father and brother are the same in English and as in Farsi. For similar reasons, Ab in Somalis meaning origin or father shares root with the Arabic Abu. It's not a coincidence! There's no good reason to think Somali/Arabic is any different than all other languages that share a common root.
That is just a proto afro asiatic word though and there are not that many infact
And those are not roots but shared vocabulary or cognates as wikipedia says

When u split even more u find more shared vocab. Cushitic languages share a lot with each othet, and semitic do with each other but overall all together it is minimal

In semitic , roots are completely different in meaning

Regg

Stroking my Australinimo
The average Westerners get the impression that anyone who is a Muslim are Arabic speakers.

Also, their names are also the biggest give away. Almost all of the East African Muslims have Arabic names.

:faysalwtf: how is this sidaamu. an east cushitic language. it sounds exactly like amharic, even contains that semi click sound.

i have listened to oromo and rendile. they dont sound alike. oromo sounds soft and boring. if we sound like Rendille then somali must sound cool:manny:
disregard the jesusness of the video

I remember a Nigerian who used to giggle everytime I said my full name because it sounded like a Gulf Arab king. My name is made up of the most common Muslim names on earth.:mindblown:

:faysalwtf: how is this sidaamu. an east cushitic language. it sounds exactly like amharic, even contains that semi click sound.

That sounds like Oromo. There is not one word I understood from that apart from names:reallymaury:.
And it is not a click, we are not Zulu:tocry:, it's called an ejective:icon lol:. 7:40-7:42 had a Somali sound to it, random

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts