Why do some countries remain poor?

It has been argued root causes of poverty are:
  • Lack of institutions
  • Geography
  • Culture

---------------------------------------
How the decline in poverty rates in Africa may be a source of hope? The high concentration of extreme poverty is becoming a cause for concern. Today, the continent is home to more than 60 per cent of the world’s extremely poor and this rate is expected to rise to 90 per cent in 2030, according to the World Bank. This development is all the more worrying, as Africa only had a quarter of the world’s poor in 1990.

[]
And of course, if you don’t look back at it, the DRC didn’t really have much productive growth in the last decades while meanwhile, Ethiopia became the fastest growing economy in the world between like 2010 and 2020.

[]
David Pilling
OK. Now, in your book, you talk about this elite gamble on growth and development. If an elite is doing very well already, let’s say there is lots of oil and the elite is happy to share that oil. Why on earth would they take a gamble on development if things are going quite well from their own very narrow perspective? What forces an elite to gamble? And then what examples of that have we seen where that is actually panned out?

Stefan Dercon
So let me give you an example of what you just described. I think Nigeria is very much a kind of an elite bargain, basically a deal between those with power and influence that somehow is stuck. Nigeria earns something like $500 per person on oil revenue each year, $500 is not that much. But in a country of 200mn people, if you don’t divide it among 200mn people, but say you divide it up among 200,000 people, these 200,000 people have half a million. And it’s exactly what you described. Why would these 200,000 people, those people with power and influence in Nigeria, bother with actually changing the whole thing? I think that’s unfortunately what’s happening there. And changing that is quite a gamble because we may not be able to pocket that any more. And so this suggests somehow that quite a lot of countries may not do this, and it makes it even more remarkable if at some point elites decide to actually try to do this. So let me give an example where I think this is happening. Historically, I think China is an example where at some point, after a period of turmoil, the Cultural Revolution, Mao’s death and the Gang of Four, we’re talking the 1970s now. In 1979, Deng Xiaoping and other people in the parties basically decided we are going to take a gamble on a different course. They probably did this because they were losing all legitimacy among their population. This was a matter of survival for them. So that’s one reason why they would gamble for success via growth and development. And they did it, and at all costs they were trying to get that economy to grow. If you go to Africa, in Ghana, I would actually say probably in the 1990s, after Jerry Rawlings allowed multiparty democracy to come back, I think the political elite kind of gambled on this as well by recognising that if political instability that had existed in the 1970s and so on until Jerry Rawlings took power in the early 1980s, if it had allowed to be continued, they probably wouldn’t have been able to last very long. And they actually got themselves saying, well, let’s get this democracy to work in Ghana. Whenever someone was elected from the other party, we would allow them to govern, and we would take the political transitions as they came. And then somehow get the politics to evolve, as we now have in Ghana, which is increasingly based on outcomes, on results and on progress. So that’s a very different type of country that actually to avoid instability, elites say, well, let’s give this system a chance and let’s make the best of it. That’s an example for me of a country. It’s growing quite well now. Poverty has come down quite significantly. Yes, there is corruption, this is not a perfect country, but it is really striking progress in that country.

David Pilling
So who are these elites you are talking about? And isn’t your theory in danger of being a little bit elitist itself, absent from it are the vast majority of the people of the country. Do they not have agency?

Stefan Dercon
In a lot of countries, the agency is often indirect ...

Now, I think your book is interesting because in a sense you say there is no recipe for growth and development. You don’t say you need to be a democracy or you need to be an autocracy. You don’t say you need to have a perfect Chicago school, free market economics. You need to have perfect institutions, you need to have state planning. You kind of say each country should cut its policy according to its cloth.

Shifting economies:

In the 19th century, these were the industries and top tier companies, all European:
  1. Dutch East India company (shipping fleet, tulip bubble): pdv $7+ trillion
  2. Mississippi company (monopoly of Africa slave trade & tobacco): pdv $6+ trillion
  3. South sea company (British trade monopoly in the Americas): pdv 4+ trillion
  4. Standard oil (Rockefeller's oil & gas exploration in the US): pdv $3+ trillion

And in the 21st century (all but 2 are tech. with #8 being an anomaly, albeit is rooted in textile; again all but 2 are European):

top10Companies.png

One wonders what industries, and which countries will come into being in the 22nd century?

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Shifting economies:

In the 19th century, these were the industries and top tier companies, all European:
  1. Dutch East India company (shipping fleet, tulip bubble): pdv $7+ trillion
  2. Mississippi company (monopoly of Africa slave trade & tobacco): pdv $6+ trillion
  3. South sea company (British trade monopoly in the Americas): pdv 4+ trillion
  4. Standard oil (Rockefeller's oil & gas exploration in the US): pdv $3+ trillion

And in the 21st century (all but 2 are tech. with #8 being an anomaly, albeit is rooted in textile; again all but 2 are European):

View attachment 320868

One wonders what industries, and which countries will come into being in the 22nd century?

Your articles are powerful and mind bending and I think you would be a good analyst in the up.coming political section upheaval when we separate the day to day news and create a section for powerful and mind provoking threads into the high class political analysts section.

Your articles are powerful and mind bending and I think you would be a good analyst in the up.coming political section upheaval when we separate the day to day news and create a section for powerful and mind provoking threads into the high class political analysts section.
In all honesty, I detest politics, with the exception of classic politicking in theory, and growth and equity interests me more, but then again politics is a necessary evil.
Do you think anything will change in Africa in our lifetime?
Actually, Africa's future is very bright with .So being one of the brightest in the next 50 years or so considering its trajectory. In its latest report, AdB projected 11 of the 20 fastest growing economies in the world are in Africa with 4 being in East Africa in the context of Africa's 5 regions. The worrying sign is only 1 (Tanzania) of the 10 greatest economies in Africa is in the list (I do not think one could consider .Et any more with its current turmoil). What does that mean?

Fastest growing economies in Africa:
  • Niger (11.2%),
  • Senegal (8.2%),
  • Libya (7.9%),
  • Rwanda (7.2%),
  • Cote d’Ivoire (6.8%),
  • Ethiopia (6.7%),
  • Benin (6.4%),
  • Djibouti (6.2%),
  • Tanzania (6.1%),
  • Togo (6%), and
  • Uganda at 6%.

Greatest economies of Africa:
Nigeria (GDP $477bn ), Egypt, S Africa, Algeria, Morocco, Ethiopia, Kenya, Angola, Tanzania, Ghana ($73bn).

Now compare that with Asia's growing economies:
Indonesia (GDP $1.5tn) In real terms, billed as the next 3rd largest manufacturing economy in the world.
Vietnam (GDP $433bn)

Postscript:

GDP comprises a) manufacturing, b) services, and c) expenditure. To measure economic growth of rising economies, and aging economies too, one wants to gauge % of manufacturing. A good example, in comparison is the US, where => 80% of its economy is sourced through services whereas manufacturing has been in recession for decades stagnant in single digits, employing a mere <= 8% of the entire workforce, which is considerably minuscule, yet surprising high ( Most of that is through chip, semiconductors, motoring manufacturing), Noteworthy is the US spends less than 1% in R&D in comparison to China, which allocates more than 12% of its GDP to R&D in technology alone (data is a couple of years old, but paints a picture as to each's direction).

Now, with its vast resources, where is Africa in manufacturing?

In all honesty, I detest politics, with the exception of classic politicking in theory, and growth and equity interests me more, but then again politics is a necessary evil.

Actually, Africa's future is very bright with .So being one of the brightest in the next 50 years or so considering its trajectory. In its latest report, AdB projected 11 of the 20 fastest growing economies in the world are in Africa with 4 being in East Africa in the context of Africa's 5 regions. The worrying sign is only 1 (Tanzania) of the 10 greatest economies in Africa is in the list (I do not think one could consider .Et any more with its current turmoil). What does that mean?

• Niger (11.2%),
  • Senegal (8.2%),
  • Libya (7.9%),
  • Rwanda (7.2%),
  • Cote d’Ivoire (6.8%),
  • Ethiopia (6.7%),
  • Benin (6.4%),
  • Djibouti (6.2%),
  • Tanzania (6.1%),
  • Togo (6%), and
  • Uganda at 6%.

Nigeria (GDP $477bn ), Egypt, S Africa, Algeria, Morocco, Ethiopia, Kenya, Angola, Tanzania, Ghana ($73bn).

Indonesia (GDP $1.5tn) In real terms, billed as the next 3rd largest manufacturing economy in the world.
Vietnam (GDP $433bn)

Postscript:
GDP comprises a) manufacturing, b) services, and c) expenditure. To measure economic growth of rising economies, and aging economies too, one wants to gauge % of manufacturing. A good example, in comparison is the US, where => 80% of its economy is sourced through services whereas manufacturing has been in recession for decades stagnant in single digits, employing a mere <= 8% of the entire workforce, which is considerably minuscule, yet surprising high ( Most of that is through chip, semiconductors, motoring manufacturing), Noteworthy is the US spends less than 1% in R&D in comparison to China, which allocates more than 12% of its GDP to R&D in technology alone (data is a couple of years old, but paints a picture as to each's direction).

inshallah we’ll be up there with record high economic growth πŸ™πŸΎ

• Niger (11.2%),
  • Senegal (8.2%),
  • Libya (7.9%),
  • Rwanda (7.2%),
  • Cote d’Ivoire (6.8%),
  • Ethiopia (6.7%),
  • Benin (6.4%),
  • Djibouti (6.2%),
  • Tanzania (6.1%),
  • Togo (6%), and
  • Uganda at 6%.

Vietnam (GDP $433bn)

Postscript:

What do you think about Somalia brother? Is there a future for the country to be among the best? What are the possibilities that we can reach?

What do you think about Somalia brother? Is there a future for the country to be among the best? What are the possibilities that we can reach?
The future is bright, and very likely. If one considers our recent history, say last 50 years, granted we hit the very bottom worse than any other in modern history, coupled with the resilience and dexterity of our people, despite the political wobbling, we are actually in a good position to rise with gradual progression both in economics and politics. What will make the difference are: a) skilled workforce, which is desperately lacking at the moment, b) modernising, exploiting, and preserving three promising sectors: livestock, farming, and marine in the wider blue economy sense, and c) institutions to advance and further develop (a) & (b).

If you consider the root causes of poverty, poor development and growth in nations, we fail at lacking (a), but satisfy (b) & (c).

This becomes very evident when one travels through the country.

Last edited:

NidarNidar

Punisher
inshallah we’ll be up there with record high economic growth πŸ™πŸΎ
Addressing the poverty in Somalia requires a multifaceted approach that targets various sectors including economic development, education, healthcare, infrastructure, governance, and social services.

Economic Diversification: Somalia's economy is heavily reliant on agriculture, livestock, and remittances. Encouraging diversification into sectors such as manufacturing, technology, and services can create new job opportunities and reduce dependence on vulnerable sectors.

Investment in Infrastructure: Developing infrastructure such as roads, ports, and energy facilities can facilitate economic growth by lowering transportation costs, improving access to markets, and attracting investment.

Access to Education: Investing in education is crucial for breaking the cycle of poverty. Improving access to quality education, especially for girls, and promoting vocational training programs can enhance the skillset of the workforce and empower individuals to pursue better opportunities.

Healthcare Access: Access to affordable healthcare services is essential for improving overall well-being and productivity. Investing in healthcare infrastructure, training healthcare workers, and providing access to essential medicines can help reduce the burden of disease and improve productivity.

Promotion of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs): Supporting SMEs through access to finance, business development services, and market linkages can stimulate entrepreneurship and create jobs, particularly in rural areas.

Good Governance: Strengthening governance institutions, enhancing transparency, and combating corruption are critical for creating an enabling environment for sustainable development and attracting investment.

Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding: Somalia has faced decades of conflict and instability, which have hindered development efforts. Investing in conflict resolution, peacebuilding, and reconciliation initiatives can create a conducive environment for economic growth and poverty reduction.

Social Safety Nets: Establishing social safety nets such as cash transfer programs, food assistance, and social insurance can provide temporary relief to vulnerable populations and help protect them from falling deeper into poverty during times of crisis.

Sustainable Natural Resource Management: Promoting sustainable use of natural resources such as land, water, and fisheries can support livelihoods and prevent environmental degradation, which disproportionately affects the poor.

International Support and Cooperation: Collaboration with international partners, including bilateral and multilateral organizations, NGOs, and the private sector, is essential for mobilizing resources, expertise, and technical assistance to support poverty reduction efforts in Somalia.

Implementing these strategies will require a long-term commitment from the government, civil society, and the international community to address the complex challenges facing our country, many of the things I've mentioned are already in motion, it just depends on the politicians how quickly we get there.

Trending